Why or why not to read reversed cards

Penelope's Loom

Some readers use reversals and others do not. I often find reversals confusing, but I also think they can offer greater depth to a reading. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the value of reading reversed cards.

Thirteen

Does it help or interfere with your ability to read the cards?

Penelope's Loom said:
Some readers use reversals and others do not. I often find reversals confusing, but I also think they can offer greater depth to a reading. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the value of reading reversed cards.
The mistake most people who read with reversals have about those who do not is the belief that those who read cards only upright miss out on "reversed" (or ill-dignified) meanings. In other words, you're assuming that anyone who only uses upright cards is missing that "greater depth" you get from reversals. But just because the cards are all "upright" doesn't mean that the reversed meanings vanish, that the upright Sun has to always be read as meaning "sunny!" rather than "not enough sun" or "so much sun that it's burning you."

What most readers of "only upright" cards will tell you is that they can "sense" if a card ought to be read with the "reversed" meaning. So all that "depth" you get from reversals, they get too. They just don't need to turn the cards upsidedown to get it. Also, for many of these upright readers an upsidedown card throws off the reading. It startles, jars, and knocks them out of the flow of the reading, even to stopping it dead. It also keeps them from seeing the bigger picture presented by seeing all the upright cards together in a spread, telling a story. To "upright" readers, reversed cards don't offer depth, they just look "wrong." They subtract from the reading, rather than helping it.

So it's a bad idea for them to turn cards upsidedown.

Now, on the other side, there are readers who want to know, unquestionably, when they should read a card as ill-dignified. And they tend to like those reversed cards. Reversal readers also tend to find that the upsidedown card changes their perspective. It makes them see the image differently and think differently about what it means. It doesn't throw them off. To the contrary, it helps them see the larger pattern. Putting it another way, reversal-readers will miss out on that added depth without the upsidedown cards.

But not upright-only readers. Do you understand? In the end, whether to use reversals or not has nothing to do with gaining more "depth" to a reading. All it's really about is whether seeing some cards upsidedown helps you read better or interferes with your reading. If it helps, use them. If it interferes, don't.

Chiska

Thirteen, that was an awesome description!

I used to try and do reversals, because all my books said reversals do this or that. But what I found is that I couldn't figure out what was going on unless I took the card and turn it right side up! I also found that I would tilt my head when looking at reversals - as if I could move my head like an owl.

I have found that when I am faced with an otherwise "sunny" card, if it is "ill-dignified" I tend to focus on the less sunny components of the image.

Ronia

I personally tried a number of times to read reversals with different decks. I can't explain how strong negative feeling I got from them. It was like the reversed cards were pushing me out of the reading, hitting me back, I don't know why but it was extremely unpleasant experience. It ended up with not using those decks at all. Now I have two decks (the third one I gave away) which are left aside until I find the strength to shuffle and turn them all upright again. It's all personal, you will know, in my opinion. If you don't feel comfortable, then don't do it with reversals.

And, as Thirteen said, there is no way you can miss the negativity despite the card being upright. Usually in my spreads the cards tell a story and there is more than one reference if the story is positive or negative which is why I also don't draw one card only. At least two (for daily draws) but most often three and up. Then I have enough to see the picture.

amethyst57

learned that Reverses can help,only too late for me...
kept turning his cards upright...the Reverses were and came true
about him. I had my head in the clouds back then...i leave 'em as
they lay now...

btw..this wasn't a poem, just my experience by ignoring Reverses
...sorry if my elipses threw ya off...

Sinduction

You could always try it for yourself and see if it works for you.

The only deck I can read reversals with is the Revelations because of how the cards are designed. I am able to get a full image when the card is reversed.

But I am one of those that simply cannot read a reversed card. As Thirteen said, it blocks me. I also don't see the cards as good or bad. Every card has good parts and bad parts. Usually, I just know what the cards are telling me by how they lay in relation to those around them. So I don't feel the need to use reversals but I do sometimes use elemental dignity and I've found that more helpful than trying to reverse cards.

I think some people do and some people don't, then some people do some of the time. It's all a matter of preference and neither way is more "right" than the other. It's all about whatever works for you.

Master_Margarita

I am one who doesn't bother with reversals when I am the one doing the readings. The reason I dispensed with reversals in the first place is that pretty much 100% of the decks I read with I have chosen to read with because I find them extremely beautiful (MRP with a side dish of Robert Place) and I can't enjoy the pretty pictures as much when they're upside down (perhaps somewhat like Chiska's experience).

When I read, I keep in mind that the cards have a broad range of meanings and when I look at my spreads which cards are calling for a negative interpretation will usually jump out at me.

I frequently use spreads that have one or more positions designated to elicit the more negative range of meanings of the cards. A reversal in a negative position can be downright puzzling, and that's another reason I don't use reversals.

Because I try to keep my cards upright in the deck, when I do occasionally draw a card that is reversed, I take the reversal as an emphasis that "this card is really important" in the same way as I do a "jumper."

:heart: M_M~

Penelope's Loom

Thirteen, as always, you are a lens of clarity.
I agree with all of you. Except Rockersgurl, which is just fine because her poem was poignant and elegant.
I do find reversed cards very off-putting as Ronia does and, as M_M says, when they come up in a negative position, like blocking, it is extremely confusing, like using a double negative in a sentence.
I thought I was being chicken by not using them, however, I agree that often the negatives of upright cards leap right out at me. There are a few, I must admit that are so different from their reversals that it's tempting to use reversals--the 4 of Pents comes to mind--but the cards around a card like that should help point up whether the interpretation should rely more on the reversed aspects. Also, I confess, I'd much rather read something like the, say, 9 of Swords, in its reversed form than its upright.
Thank you all for your help. I will be an upright reader henceforth.

Amanda

Thirteen said:
Putting it another way, reversal-readers will miss out on that added depth without the upsidedown cards.

But not upright-only readers.

Ouch. That stings a little for a primarily intuitive, picture-reading, "reversal-reader".

Actually, I go both ways. })

But perhaps I'm one of the few that you did not mean to be included in that statement.

:D

canid

rockersgurl said:
learned that Reverses can help..
only too late for me...
kept turning his cards upright...the Reverses were and came true
about him...I had my head in the clouds back then...
i leave 'em as they lay now...

Hear hear. Some of us do, some of us don't. Either is fine. Neither should be slapped because of it, or made to feel that we're 'missing out' if we do, or don't. I advocate reversals because it enhances MY readings, yet I also take into account possible ill-dignified meanings even if they're upright, because I don't use reversals on all my decks. It's MY choice.