Wildwood Tarot

Melia

I thought it looked like a bear. Even if it's not a POLAR bear, even if it is an albino bear, that to is pretty rare and jarring. Something that says STOP things are not the usual routine here; things are appearing in a new, fresh perspective.

Yes, I agree. Although the book does refer to it as a POLAR bear, while also offering the description of "guardian of the forest ways".

I agree about the brown bear on the Queen of Stones. That card actually bugs me. I'm definitely aware that some deck authors refer to the bear as an attribute of the Queen of Pentacles--mothering, earthy and stuff, even dangerous if her cubs/home/things are threatened. This bear, however, looks like emphasis is being put on the more angry/paranoid aspects of this Queen, something I think of as rare in her usually. Maybe I need to try and forget about layering previous concepts on the cards in Wild Wood. I just don't know how else to approach the deck except only very intuitively based on the images themseleves and that feels more like oracle than tarot.

Angry/paranoid perhaps .... but another way of looking at it is that it is showing great attention/care to details - that is, this bear is very alert and in a mindful state of the surroundings (i.e. it has sensed some danger to it's home and family). So it IS protective of it's home/family. Also represents one that is not likely to beat around the bush .... direct confrontation, honesty, frankness etc.

inanna_tarot

p.76 of the WW book says it is a polar bear.... not a big issue, but you dont find them in the woods LOL.

In this case I think Mark Ryan means polar bear to mean 'protective-stellar-white-Great-Bear-spirit-protecting-the-initiate-in-the-tomb' bear.

Terrapin

Yes, I agree. Although the book does refer to it as a POLAR bear, while also offering the description of "guardian of the forest ways".

Angry/paranoid perhaps .... but another way of looking at it is that it is showing great attention/care to details - that is, this bear is very alert and in a mindful state of the surroundings (i.e. it has sensed some danger to it's home and family). So it IS protective of it's home/family. Also represents one that is not likely to beat around the bush .... direct confrontation, honesty, frankness etc.

Yes, that's great! Thanks Melia. I'm always looking for a more balanced reasonable approach. That's very helfpul.

Lady Iron Side

I have notice in the last 2 pages of this thread, that there has been some good informative info that I would like you to please conside putting into the study group.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2694917

those that have posted about some of the individual cards would you please also include that into the study group. thanks.
LIS

Penthasilia

Wildwood vs Greenwood

I just wanted to add in my 2 cents regarding these decks. I have both, buying the Wildwood after working with the Greenwood (which is my favorite deck). I guess my hope was to have the Wildwood be my "on the road" deck, and keep the Greenwood at home since it is now OOP and pricey (I am on my 2nd deck :)

When just briefly looking at the cards side by side- the symbolism and pictures seem similar, but the Greenwood seems to have an otherworldliness to it that the Wildwood just lacks. The Wildwood doesn't read very well either (much less so that the Druid Craft).

I have also seen many threads on the oddness of the descriptions in comparison to the deck, and I believe this comes from the fact that they hold more true for the Greenwood than the Wildwood (the archer, etc.)

My underlying sense is that Chesca Potter had a vision of what the cards should be and drew them from that vision- the Wildwood simply has drawn the cards, and the ones closer to the original were picked up. I know that Potter's art-style isn't for everyone, it does seem less detailed and more abstract, sometimes child-like. But I think that is the true magic behind her cards- as it somehow provokes more than your run of the mill tarot.

Just my 2 cents, as I said. But I will continue lugging around the Greenwood and the Wildwood is being sent to never never land (the "collection" pile). I guess I will just have to buy a couple more Greenwoods to ensure that I never run out when I use my cards out :)

hunter

I bought the Wildwood and immediately put it aside, but I think I will be pulling it out and giving it quite a workout this winter.

I'm glad I own it. I just think the timing isn't right yet.

I gravitate towards decks that heal certain emotions I'm struggling with. Sometimes I need grounding, other times soothing, and other times a good laugh.

I believe in color and art therapy. Pictures heal. Like herbs, it takes the right treatment for the right ailment.

The books for different decks contain messages that need to be read at the right time. Sometimes when we need the pictures from a certain deck, we need the words from another deck. Remember when I was using the Rabbit Tarot with the book from The Tarot of the Vampyres?

When I tackle the Wildwood, I think It's going to be some work, because the book won't spoon feed me what I need. Like the Rabbit Tarot this will be a challenge because the deck is not strictly RWS.

The cards look like they will trim beautifully. I think this deck will be worth the work...but...work it will be.

gregory

The books for different decks contain messages that need to be read at the right time. Sometimes when we need the pictures from a certain deck, we need the words from another deck. Remember when I was using the Rabbit Tarot with the book from The Tarot of the Vampyres?

That works fine - unless the book simply doesn't relate to the deck. When you have a book describing a card and giving meaning to the image on that card - and the description is intended for another card entirely (like the mentioned-above archer pointing at the ground in the Wildwood) that is a problem, I find.

hunter

It drives me far crazier to have the book intended for the deck to not match, than a book never intended to be used.

I obviously didn't expect the Vampyres to match the Rabbit exactly, but so much of the book did apply.

The Wildwood book is sometimes...just...nothing :-0 It doesn't spoon feed me.