WIP - the Microcosmic Tarot

Tarot Orat

This deck will focus on the wide world beneath our feet and above our heads: the world of insects, spiders, worms, centipedes, sowbugs - the tiny creatures that shape the course of nature just as much as humans. They transform their environment, live in complex societies, undergo stunning transformations. They fly, swim, burrow, leap, and run. They can be strikingly beautiful, or hideously ugly. They can seem strange, utterly foreign, but they dwell alongside us - even closer to us than our neighbors and families. They could live without us, but we couldn't live without them.

I'm not sure if I'm going to draw the cards, or use photos with digital manipulation. I'm not bad with Prismacolor pencils (my current avatar, the lady beetle, is one of my own drawings), but I have yet to draw an entire card to my satisfaction.

The first card that came into my head - the one that demanded that I create this deck - is the Hanged Man. My concept is the beautiful, gold and green chrysalis of a monarch butterfly, suspended between two stages of its active life, transforming from crawling caterpillar to lofty winged spirit. (In ancient Greek, "psyche" is the word for both "butterfly" and "soul.")

Since that's the card that started the deck in my head, it's the first one I've started to create. The first version is attached here - no number or title yet, and I have to change what the chrysalis is hanging from, but this is the idea.

Attachments

• monarchchrysalis.jpg
    monarchchrysalis.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 130

yirabeth

What an interesting idea :) I don't know if I'll be eagerly awaiting, since I'm fairly bug-phobic...but I do really like your idea for the Hanged Man...

In any case I'll keep watching this space to see what you come up with :)

~Yira

Dusk Till Dawn

I really would like that! Great idea!

FantasticBeast

I think that is just beautiful - I love the contrast between the smooth chrysalis and the rough wall behind it. Do you have any of your other art posted online somewhere? I would like to get a feel for what your style is.

Bugs can be amazing and beautiful, although I don't like them so much in real life! :)

Tarot Orat

other artwork

I have two Flickr sets for my creations, one for pencil-and-paper artwork, the other for digitally-manipulated photos. Here are the drawings:
Artwork

And the photos:
Texturized

FantasticBeast

Thanks for the links! I especially like "The Maestro" and "Lady beetle in mixed media."