Working with Bloodstone

HearthCricket

I was just wondering what your experience with bloodstone has been like. I have been eyeing a gorgeous bloodstone pendulum for about a week and am considering buying it tomorrow, if it is still there. I had it once, put it down, and didn't get it. Now I am sorry. It was calling to me. I should have grabbed it. How does it grab you? I have very little around here and have never really worked with it, though I do have some lovely mala beads made from it.

Little Hare

I love this, but then it is my birthstone (Aries) I've always been more attracted to it then diamonds yeck!.. I have it in a pendant and also in smallish chunks around my room. I find it to be very grounding and cleansing... for me it really connects me to the earth in the here and now.

LeaRoseQuartz

Hi HearthCricket! I've used bloodstone for foot cramps by putting one in each of the cuffs of my socks and it helped. I gave one to my daughter after she cut the end of her finger off while working at a butcher shop years ago and it helped her. Also, a friend said it helped her bad back pain when I massaged it with a bloodstone egg. I've not worked with a pendulum much, but it sounds like a nice one. It will probably still be there for you when you go back to the store.

faunabay

For some reason there is something in me that tells me I "should" like bloodstone, but it kind of repels me a bit. And I'm not quite sure why. It's not a horribly extremely reaction but it is there somewhat.

Maybe I should really sit down and work with one. I do have a polished bloodstone. hmmm...... I hadn't even thought about for a long time.

Sophie

I use it for menstrual cramp and tension headaches to great effect. I also think it's beautiful to look at. I have one on my bedside table at the moment, which I just like to hold, and I find it grounding.

I have no idea how it might work as a pendulum, however. Personally, I prefer quartz for pendulums.

morticia monroe

As I'm still a newbie, I really need to learn to identify my stones. Sometimes I want something, only to find out I already have it. Other times, what I THINK I have turns out to be something else...I just looked up bloodstone. It's really pretty.

tinastardream

faunabay said:
For some reason there is something in me that tells me I "should" like bloodstone, but it kind of repels me a bit. And I'm not quite sure why. It's not a horribly extremely reaction but it is there somewhat.

Maybe I should really sit down and work with one. I do have a polished bloodstone. hmmm...... I hadn't even thought about for a long time.

Me too Faunabay. Bloodstone has always struck me as a good grounding and protecting stone. I know its suppose to be good for the blood and I've been thinking of making a bracelt or maybe just gifting a tumbled stone to my mom who has high blood pressure.

celticnoodle

hmmm. I cannot recall if I do have this stone, as I've purchased so many. I see it comes in a variety of colors, and found this information on it on the web:

Bloodstone helps one become more knowledgeable in the ways of the world.
Stone's names: Bloodstone, Heliotrope

Color: Bloodstone is a green stone with red spots. It also occurs in shades of dark green with red, brown and multicolored spots. The iron minerals cause the deep red and brown colors.

Description: Bloodstone is dark-green variety of the silica mineral chalcedony that has nodules of bright-red jasper distributed throughout its mass. Polished sections therefore show red spots on a dark-green background, and from the resemblance of these to drops of blood it derives its name.
Its physical properties are those of quartz.

The name's origin: Bloodstone is a stone with red spots which resemble drops of blood, so it is received its name due to this similarity.
Heliotrope derives its name from Greek words meaning sun and turning.

Birthstone: Bloodstone along with aquamarine are traditional birthstones of Pisces (Fish): Feb. 19 - March 20.

Care and treatment: Protect bloodstone from scratches, sharp blows, harsh chemicals and extreme temperatures. The polish will be removed if you get this type of stone wet.

From the stone history: In the Middle Ages, bloodstone was attributed special powers as the spots were thought to be the blood of Jesus Christ. It was used in sculptures representing flagellation and martyrdom.

Shopping guide: Bloodstone is an inexpensive stone. It is often used for pendants and bead necklaces.

Healing ability: In ancient times, bloodstone was thought to be able to stop hemorrhages with the merest touch. Bloodstone relieves stomach and bowel pain. It strengthens blood purifying organs and improves blood circulation. Bloodstone has a positive influence on a bladder.

Mystical power: Bloodstone is used to help one become more knowledgeable in the ways of the world. Bloodstone is also believed to be a very magical stone.

Deposits: Bloodstone is found in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Kathiawar Peninsula and the USA (Wyoming).

It sounds lovely, Hearthcricket! let us know if you do get it! If I don't have it, maybe it's one I should get! I have kidney troubles and blood circulation problems, so maybe this will help. ***rushing off now to find my stones and look for to see if I have this one!***:laugh:

hmmm. found a stone with alot of red streaks/dot like in it. not sure if it's a bloodstone though. so hard to tell. will have to take it to my new age store for a view there by the owners! i never can remember what these stones are at all. but, this stone does sound so interesting! thanks HC for posting this. do let us know if/when you get it!

tinastardream

Wow thanks for all the information celticnoodle.
Almost sounds like you used a book? I especially liked how to handle and care for it - information I tend to lack in my library of crystal books.
:) what was your source?

celticnoodle

tinastardream said:
Wow thanks for all the information celticnoodle.
Almost sounds like you used a book? I especially liked how to handle and care for it - information I tend to lack in my library of crystal books.
:) what was your source?
no, not a book--the internet. my favorite 'book'! ;) I tend to look everything up on the internet anymore.