World--fulfillment or completion/ending?

PentQueen

I've been receiving this card tons lately, as my relationship is nearing either a potential close or next level...I'm really not sure what will happen with us.

Readers have been calling 'fulfillment' with it, but I'm wondering if it's actually another type of completion, meaning ending?

Anyone have any ideas?

Inana

Sure completion implies ending in a certain level too, but with The World, to me at least, it uses to be a satisfying ending. It's not an interruption but integration, achieving your goals, completing the puzzle.
Related to a relationship, it can mean a wedding, a pregnancy (you can see the child in the bomb in this card), making something public or formal, living together, enjoying the feeling of fullness. A trip.

PentQueen

Hmm i wonder if the world is simply pointing to my relationship with myself since I have long wanted to be single. I guess the world represents whatever goal the relationship was supposed to bring about? In this case I think the relationship was supposed to help me to be self-suffient, which I feel I have become now. Hopefully it signals an amicable ending of the relationship though!

littlestar

I have experienced this card personally when it comes to conclusions/fulfillment and i haven't always found it to be pleasant but it hasn't been entirely bad either, just has told me that "this is as far as it can go" or "this is the best it's going to get" type thing. So i personally dont read the world card as happiness, fulfillment or attainemnt in a completely 'happy' type sense, just that it's as far as it can go.

omnislashed

Personally, I've never seen The World symbolizing unfulfilled completion. Usually, it surfaces for the following reasons:

1. The cards are telling me: "What's the problem? Things are more well-rounded than you're apparently realizing. Sky's the limit, and all that jazz."

2. If I'm asking about a person, The World is generally telling me: "This person is currently dealing with matters that extend above and beyond your influence. Let them deal with that."

3. "This matter is in the hands of the Universe, not you." (This primarily surfaces when I'm using the Thoth deck.)

Chances are, if the circumstance doesn't feel completed, it probably isn't. But keep in mind: This is only my personal experience -- mileage may vary.

(Tangentially, this card additionally surfaced when I was involved with somebody from another country. It was also produced when political problems were unfurling in my native country. But that's not the typical manifestation of The World in general spreads, so. :laugh:)

nisaba

PentQueen said:
I've been receiving this card tons lately, as my relationship is nearing either a potential close or next level...I'm really not sure what will happen with us.

Readers have been calling 'fulfillment' with it, but I'm wondering if it's actually another type of completion, meaning ending?
I see it as pretty much a card of happy endings or a natural cycle coming to a natural ending that is right.

Could there be any possibility that if this relationship is continued, you will both stop enjoying each other's company and the relationship will become intolerable? So, an ending before that happens would be in order and natural and lead to greater happiness than staying today?

pasara

I don't really see it as the idea of an ending so much as the idea of completion and fulfillment. In a relationship for some that might mean marriage etc, in another that might mean you've gotten what you are meant to get from this situation and there is nothing further to do here, it is full-grown, so to speak. It sounds like the latter fits your situation more.

starrystarrynight

Something has come full-circle, and its cycle has completed. In a relationship (or any other situation, really), the energy can no longer sustain itself as it stands. Something must end for something new to begin (The Fool.) That could mean taking the relationship to a new level--as in getting married, having a baby or the like...or breaking up (getting a divorce) and moving along on your separate journeys.

For the way I see the World card...

The crowned one

It can mean freedom, and no turning back. There is no duality in this card so something is coming together not apart. The dance of life or death. To me it is a positive card on its own but it needs to be read within the context of the other cards because this is a outcome card. I think Crowley see's this card in a less bright light.

Amanda

Someone asked me about a newborn child, and I got the World in reverse (along with the Wheel of Fortune in reverse as well I think). So I was getting two cycles not being completed. I told the person to prepare for a negative turn of events- the child was later diagnosed with some rare disease and given 18 months to live.

So, in reverse, I'd say it's an unhealthy ending. Upright, I'd say it's a healthy ending. If you don't use reversals though, it could depend on what it's next to in order to determine if the ending is fulfilling (healthy) or not.