World Spirit or Ancestral Path??

a_shikhs

Hi i'll be travelling to Singapore this weekend and am bound to do loads of deck shopping there.. :D I was just browsing through all the lovely decks on AT where i came across the World Spirit Tarot and the Ancestral Path Tarot. Now since i dont wanna buy both, which one do you think should i go for? Which of the two decks are better for reading purpose?
Im really confused here and cant make up my mind.. Pls Help. :-

Thanks a million,
Shikhs

jackdaw*

World Spirit. It's more inclusive, and the images flow together across suits. The Ancestral Path is lovely, but the suits and the Majors seem to me to belong to different decks.

And the World Spirit is just fun!

catlin

Both are great decks, but having checked your collection I'd say take the World Spirit if you want a deck for reading. It is great to read with, fun, a tad wilder than the Ancestral Path (the latter is more collection) and you can meditate why the guy on the 10 of Pents does not wear a panty and what he will do with the knife :D

The World Spirit is my deck for Tarot Magick ;)

delizt

World Spirit! It's a great deck for reading and the images are vibrant and the deck just works for me....as much as I tried to "click" with the Ancestral Path, the different cultures for the suits bothered me...made the deck seem too disjointed...however there are some beautiful cards in that deck!

Sulis

World Spirit - excellent deck.... You'll see something new every time you read with it...

Grizabella

World Spirit. You'll find it for sale readily, more than likely, whereas the Ancestral Path is out of print and you may not find that one for sale. Plus, the World Spirit will probably be easier for you to read with. The Ancestral Path is more a deck for advanced readers, in my opinion, and quite frankly, it's gotten more popular lately just because it's out of print. When it was in print, I don't think it was all that popular. I've always loved it, but I don't think most people found it one they could really read with. If you're into collecting and out of print decks grab you for that reason and you do find it reasonably priced, then I'd buy it, though. You can always make a good trade with it here or sell it on eBay if you don't want to keep it.

WolfSpirit

Since I have the Ancestral Path and not the World Spirit...I guess my vote has to go to the ****Ancestral Path**** (surprise, I have a different opinion once again :D)
I tried to like the World Spirit but I just don't...the Ancestral Path has beautiful artwork and is really not all that complicated, but it is best to get the book as well, as it does have a system of its own. For me the deck works great for storytelling, I lay down the cards and stories just pop out :D
Yes it is oop, so if you happen to find one (for the normal price, that is) I would certainly pick it up - you will be able to trade it easily should you not fall for it. It has not been oop that long so there must still be copies around...

NightWing

A Great Tarot Deck

I have both decks in my collection.

By far the more useful one (for me) has been the World Spirit tarot, ...plus it has unique and really interesting artwork produced by an unusual process!

One can move from any RWS-based deck to this one seamlessly. It comes as a set with a nice book to get one started. If you can't get both, get World Spirit.

Annabelle

WolfSpirit said:
I tried to like the World Spirit but I just don't...
Agreed. I admire the World Spirit deck, but I don't like it. Some of the images are evocative, while others just jar me with their odd, cold facial expressions and their, um, lack of pants.

Of the two decks, I recommend the Ancestral Path more highly. I love the art style, and the focus on a different culture for each suit. I don't have the accompanying book for it, myself, but nontheless have found it very easy and enjoyable to use.

Honestly, I think picking a favorite between the two may come down to your personal artistic preferences. The linoleum block print style of the World Spirit is vaguely . . . well, unpleasant to me. I still like what the deck is trying to achieve, though, through its inclusive imagery.

a_shikhs

Wow.. Thanks everyone for making it simple for me. :) I'll go for the World Spirit tarot. And that was my preference too. :D Now i hope its available when i go for my trip this weekend.. ;)