Would a querant take me seriously if I used this deck, or not?

Little Baron

That got your interest ...

But it is something that I have considered too many times.

I asked, once before, about the RWS. There is something in it that can look a little 'childlike' and 'simple'. I remember a poster saying that other readers had turned their noses up and patronisingly remarked 'so, you use that deck then!', as if they had passed the credability of the RWS many moons before.

I also asked about the BBC deck. Did it look too 'childish'? Would a querant think I wasn't a serious reader without a dark deck of pictures, so profound that even Harry Potter wouldn't have a clue?

And then there is other decks. Too modern? Not draped in enough magic and history?

And tonight, inspired by another thread, I pull out my Menagerie.

My thoughts on that deck? Beautiful. A real feast, with so many great characters and stories to unfold. A treat for the beginner and more mature reader.

But what would my querant think? What would they think about birds falling out of nests, smoking crocodiles and trapped giraffes. I remember Contrascarpe telling me that the querant doesn't really pay attention to the cards; he or she is more interested in what you say.

So, what do you think?

Does it really matter what cards we choose? As a reader of friends, or as a professional?

Have you ever encountered negativity from the pack you have used?

Is there a deck you want to read for others with but feel it may seem too trivial in subject/theme?

Do you try to read the decks you think others will consider have the wow-factor, but in reality, can't make heads or tails of what they are actually trying to say?

I find this so interesting; especially as I sit here with the Menagerie. Would a querant think 'now that is silly!' or would they think 'what a beautiful set of old looking illustrations'. Or would they just not notice? At the end of the day, whether we read with a Marseille, a Menagerie or 'Tarot of the London Transport System' [a deck guaranteed to only work properly for a few days a week :D ], the majority of packs all came from the local shop and are born in about as much magic-dust and initiation as the latest DVD of Doctor Who.

So, what are your feelings about this????

LB

gregory

I think if they come to YOU for a reading, rather than someone else, they will be happy with whatever deck you use.
I really think this is one worry too many, LB !!!!

Umbrae

If you are you, and genunie as a person, you can read wiht Oz or Wonderland and be taken seriously.

I've even used the Tarot of the Tailors and been taken seriously!

Baroli

Good Heavens LB Doctor Who?? Loved him old doctor who, not the latest series. I liked Tom Baker and that group.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I think the querent is going to take you as seriously as you portray yourself. If you go into the reading with say a clownish attitude (although some of my best friends are clowns :p), then I don't think the querent will take you seriously at all. I believe it all boils down to your confidence as a reader and that what you are doing is helping someone to understand a few things. You can do that with RW,Thoth, or a deck of playing cards. It all depends on your attitude and how you present yourself.

Baroli

PS. ahh yeah, what Umbrae just said. (I gotta type faster, :p)

Alta

If offered, folks will select a deck that pleases them but my observation has been it is more on the colours than anything. They never seem to focus much on the images unless directed to do so.

You are the reader, they are focussed on you. You could use Umbare's famous example of scribbling 1 through 22 on pieces of paper, stirring them around and reading that!

Elven

LB :D

I ask the querant to choose their deck before reading, and show them the deck by laying out the cards on the reading table. It may take a bit more time, but the client, on most occassions, has a look through the decks and there are some definate reactions from "not that one!!" :bugeyed: to "There all lovely, but iIreally like this one".
... and I have purchased decks specifically to compliment the variety and assortment on the reading table in shape (round Cloisters) size (The Minute Tarot - Thoth) old and worn (RWS) and new and shiney (New Vision) ... and yes, someone has chosen my Lord of The Rings tarot to have their reading done with, as they have an affinity with the subject - but some choose colours and some choose those decks which they have had a reading with before (maybe because of some of the information the cards/reader gave them) ... I have started to change the range around a little at each sitting, and as I aquire more decks and Oracles. Sometimes they like the bag they're in :p
If you take the chance and let them choose the deck, you will gauge that for what ever reason they choose the deck, theres as many reasons as decks available :p

Blessings Elven x

thinbuddha

I would certainly notice which deck was being used. I once had a reading from a pro at a party- this was before I was really interested in doing readings myself, and before i knew how many decks there were out there in the big wide world of tarot fetishism. The reader used the motherpeace round deck, and I do remember thinking that the images seemed rather biased towards a hippie female perspective. I'm a filmmaker though, so I suppose I probably pay more attention to artwork than the average person. She pulled probably around 12 cards, and I took a good look at almost all of them in the little time I had.

lark

I did once have a client request I change decks....I was using the Hanson Roberts and she told me she didn't want me to use a deck with those "Devil Stars on it.
So I rumaged around in my tarot case looking for a deck that didn't have Devil Stars...as I recall I ended up using the Prauge for her.
Sometimes things we are so used to as far as symbols on cards go are a big turn off for your client.
Nudity is another thing I've had people comment on.
But as far as anyone saying "OH, you're not going to use that cutesy, fluffy deck are you?"
That's never happened.
They really are much more focused on what you're saying to them rather than the cards you chose to use.

But I remember so well the first time I packed up my tarot kit to do readings for others and how I agonized over what decks to bring.

Probably better to take a nice balanced selection in case you come across soemone who doesn't like DEVIL STARS.

Alta

Okay, I give up. What are DEVIL STARS???

Little Baron

Marion said:
Okay, I give up. What are DEVIL STARS???

Haha. I am so glad the same thought was running through someone elses mind!