Would you read from one deck with another close by?

etherealtarot

I have just finished doing some personal readings with my Steampunk tarot. I put them aside but they are still close by. My Universal Fantasy tarot is the deck I use for other people and before I do any readings, I ask each one how they are feeling.

When I asked this to UF, the 3 of Swords popped out... Has this ever happened to you and would you read one deck with another close by?

moon_light

When I asked this to UF, the 3 of Swords popped out... Has this ever happened to you and would you read one deck with another close by?

I don't have any experience with this, but I've got to say that that makes me smile. Not that your deck is upset, but that they're communicating like that. I hope your UF forgives you.

nisaba

and would you read one deck with another close by?

My house is very small - all my decks are close by at all times, when I'm home.

When I'm at work (doing readings in a new-age shop), I have five decks on the table. The client chooses one, I read with it. The other four are still on the table. I've been doing this for decades. There's never been a problem.

Annabelle

I did readings for 2 friends a few nights ago at a party in my home.

In my tarot room.

With over 750 decks surrounding us.

It wasn't a problem :).

emmsma

I keep a basket beside me on the couch for the decks I'm currently working with. There are usually abut 5 or 6 there at any given time.

When its a big spread that i need to concentrate on, I do it in the bedroom, where all 300+ decks live.

Hasn't ever caused a problem. I never really ask them how they feel unless i'm doing something new, combining decks that haven't yet worked together.

greatdane

I'm literally surrounded by my decks.

I have almost all my tarot decks in cases in a tote bag just a few feet from me right now, so when I do readings, at most they're maybe five feet away as that's the distance between where I keep my tarot decks and my reading table. For Lenormands, I have them lined up together and when I am doing readings back to back, I often have two or three decks inches from each other during readings.

SunChariot

I have just finished doing some personal readings with my Steampunk tarot. I put them aside but they are still close by. My Universal Fantasy tarot is the deck I use for other people and before I do any readings, I ask each one how they are feeling.

ALL my decks are always close by when I read. All 117 of them. I read in bed and they are in my night table drawers next to my bed (with a few in the dresser). They are all always nearby whenever I read.

I don't personally believe that decks have any kind of feelings at all though. That is my belief anyway. As for the 3 of Swords, of course we all read differently. But it would be a good positive answer to me. If I asked a deck how it was feeling before starting, and fot that card...the 3 of Swords for me is about having positive caring nurturing thoughts. So it might say to me that the deck had some ideas that it wants to share with you. Caring positive ideas. Sounds good to me.

Babs

Gillyboo

So many decks

It's tangential, but I'm so impressed with how many decks people have! It's like having oodles of friends.

I read with decks in proximity all the time (though I cannot boast the numbers of the others).

Pam O

Hi EtherealTarot! No problem here either with reading with other decks around! I too have ended up with lots of decks in my world, and I have a variety of decks on the table that I lay the cards on. I am very attached to many of my decks, and they often can feel like "friends" BUT, to me, decks don't have "feelings". So, how to explain what seems like 2 conflicting statements?

It feels more like decks are mirrors. They show us, and reflect, what is going on. I suspect that very few Tarot readers ask their decks, "How are you feeling?" before reading. Here is something for your pondering pleasure. Often the first layout position is some kind of SITUATION position. The "Situation" often reflects the question, "How am I feeling?" I am guessing that the deck may actually have been reflecting something in your world to pay attention to? Have you pondered how the 3 of sWords could be a message for you? Do you see both good sides, and troublesome sides to the cards?

An aside: Many of us have done a "New Deck Spread" to find out attributes, strengths and weaknesses, etc, of a deck, but that is not asking the deck itself about "its" feelings.

ETA: I have been pondering how I would possibly consider decks "friends", and also say paper has no "feelings". Maybe the pieces of paper reflect different parts of our personalities? So, it could be creating friendships with (y)ourself? I do believe that decks are a way to receive communication and messages from our Spirit Self, higher self, Universal Wisdom, or whatever name we individually call this...

I know, these statements kind of feel like an oxymoron of opposites, don't they?! :bugeyed:

Grizabella

Do your dishes have feelings about sharing space? How about your eating and cooking utensils? Decks are tools, just like those things I just mentioned. They don't have feelings. They evoke feelings in us and our sitters, but they're just a stack of cardboard with pretty pictures on them. The only magic, feelings, or powers a deck has is in the way we interpret the cards. Other than that, there's nothing remarkable about them. I live in my motorhome and any decks in here are always close together with no problem at all. I have several decks beside me at any given time and the rest of the time they're kept in a basket beside my bed/couch.