Writing on the cards

Astraea Aurora

It's really up to your liking. Do what pleases you.

Although, a warning note:
DON'T use a gold or silver pen, at least not those waterproof ones. I did some golden fine tuning on my Fenestra last summer with the help of a golden permanent marker (the ones that are waterproof and hold onto glass, plastics, overhead projector transparencies) and now my whole deck clings together. There is no chance to ever easily shuffle this cute deck again! There will always be four to five cards sticking together, at minimum!

Don't do the same mistake and ruin your deck.

Despite my warning, have fun alterating your deck to your liking. :love:

Astraea Aurora :grin:

SunChariot

Nothing is a no-no in Tarot if it works for you and helps you. They are your tools to do what you want with to help yourself along. It is only a no-no if after you are going to look at them and feel guilty, which there is no cause for. If you look at them after and are glad you did it, then it will improve your experience and it will be a good positive things.

Please try not to think that there are set ways to do things and that one thing is wrong and another is not. Tarot is an individual tool. We all have to find our own ways. What works for you is right for you, and what doesn't isn't. Period. That may or may not be the same was what works or doesn't for others and that is irrelevant.

There is no abosolute right or wrong in how to read or use the cards. We all have to find what works best for us and stick with it. Try everything you hear about that calls you, so you will know what works for you. Keep what works and let go of what doesn't. That's all their is to it, and to not place judgments on different ways to do things. Nothing is right or wrong, but some methods will be useful and helpful to you and others will not. You'll find which by trying new things.

Babs

Anam Cara

Astraea Aurora said:
It's really up to your liking. Do what pleases you.
Although, a warning note:
DON'T use a gold or silver pen, at least not those waterproof ones. I did some golden fine tuning on my Fenestra last summer with the help of a golden permanent marker (the ones that are waterproof and hold onto glass, plastics, overhead projector transparencies) and now my whole deck clings together. There is no chance to ever easily shuffle this cute deck again! There will always be four to five cards sticking together, at minimum!
Astraea Aurora, have you tried using fanning powder on your Fenestra?
It's helps me a lot when cards are sticking...

felinefriend, I agree with all those who've said do what pleases you...
I wrote on my Ancient Minchiate Etruria deck with a brown, fine, sharpie...
it was when I was first learning. Using those cards now reminds me of
when I used them in the beginning...great memories!!
:heart:cara

lark

I wrote all the names of the characters on each card of the Jane Austen Tarot..I just used a regular ink pen and it worked out fine.
Drove me buggy not knowing who the card was supposed to represent..so I just fixed that little problem. :)

Astraea Aurora

anam_chara said:
Astraea Aurora, have you tried using fanning powder on your Fenestra?
It's helps me a lot when cards are sticking...

Thanks for that tip, anam_chara. I actually heard a lot about it but was never aware it's available in Germany too. Off to buy some ...

On-Topic: My very first reading deck, RW, has the keywords on it that I could connect with during my tarot course. Lovely memories! *sigh* (One of my Lenormand decks and a deck of playing cards has them too but I don't use them anymore. I became a real tarotholic and found I couldn't connect with them any more.)

starrystarrynight

I've written on one of my decks (the Zerner-Farber, which is the size of a regular deck of playing cards, and therefore, easier for me to shuffle than some of the bigger decks.) I incorporated information I gleaned from other decks to have it at a glance when I use this one. Generally, I keep it on my desk and have only read with it in public a couple of times, though. (Not that I wouldn't because it's marked up...I just haven't.)

I used a Sharpie permanent black ink pen with a fine point tip which was the only "permanent" marker I had in the house that didn't wipe off the shiny surface of those cards.

Anyway, I agree with the others...mark away if you want to.

(Just be sure to pull the curtains closed first so the tarot police don't catch you...JUST KIDDING!)