Yay! I finally got it

Madison_Mayfair

Yesterday I found a deck of Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot. There's supposed to be a set that is being shipped to me but I've been waiting 5 weeks. I'll still take it when it comes anyways because it's never bad to have more than one deck. It's the deck from Belgium which I have heard not-so-nice things about but I think it's beautiful. The one that is on its way is the one with 3 Magus cards (I'm not sure where this one is made). The one that I found has 78 cards. I'm just glad that I finally have a deck. Is it just me or are the really good Tarot decks hard to find or take forever to order?

Kanon

Congrats Madison_Mayfair :)!

Thoth is beautiful deck and really htf nowadays. If I'm not mistaken, Belgium Thoth has 80 cards too, yet the extra cards not another two Magus; but OTO card and one unicursal hexagram card. I have Belgium version and U.S. Games version, and my Belgium Thoth has 80 cards. Well idk if there IS another version of Belgium Thoth with 78 cards.

Grigori

I'd hang on to both of them, seems like that version isn't being printed anymore (at least for the moment) and a new one will be superseding it in the near future.

I like the Belgium one the best, I think the earlier greeny ones where from Belgium also, but the most recent and best ones also came from there. Hopefully you've got a large as well as a medium sized one, then you'll get the best of both sizes!

To help you get started Alta compiled a great list in the index of threads for beginners with the deck, and there are lots of discussion of the cards also.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=27324

Nicky's threads on her trip through the Thoth is really awesome also,
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=111489
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=115333

There are a few people around at the moment just starting with this deck, hopefully everyone has lots of questions and we can all learn some more about it together.

Madison_Mayfair

My Belgium version has 78 cards. The one I'm waiting for has the 3 Magus cards. It's supposed to be shipped by the end of the week and I've been waiting almost 5 weeks. I hope I get it..:(

Aeon418

Madison_Mayfair said:
My Belgium version has 78 cards. The one I'm waiting for has the 3 Magus cards. It's supposed to be shipped by the end of the week and I've been waiting almost 5 weeks. I hope I get it..:(
This might be confusing. :laugh:

You've already got the 3 Magi in your 78 card deck, you just don't know it. ;)

Atu I The Magus of Power

Atu V The Magus of the Eternal

Atu IX The Magus of the Voice of Power

gregory

I think that was a little hard.... ;)

But OK - then I have 5 Maguses !!!! :)

Aeon418

gregory said:
Or you've got two imposters in your deck! They might look like Magi, but they really work for AGMuller. :laugh:

Grigori

gregory said:
I think that was a little hard.... ;)

6 if you count yourself, which you always should :)

The version you have already Madison, do you know what size it is? Can you shuffle it comfortably or do you need to stretch a little bit to fit it in your hands?

Madison_Mayfair

similia said:
6 if you count yourself, which you always should :)

The version you have already Madison, do you know what size it is? Can you shuffle it comfortably or do you need to stretch a little bit to fit it in your hands?

I can shuffle them comfortably. They're really lovely! I checked the booklet and the only other cards I'm missing is the Hexagram and the one with the publishing information. I'm a newbie and I guess I'm still confused. So I do have the 3 Magi (sp?) then? The box itself says 78 cards included. My box is white and has the Ordo Templi Orientis in red lettering - printed in Belgium. The one I'm ordering is the "purple box" which according to the internet has some extra cards (?).

defile959

Very nice! It's been a while since I've seen one of the white OTO-styled boxes. Congrats on the find, and enjoy the deck - it is a *deep* one!