yeah me and my burning questions...

abella

Method of Advertising Reading Types: yeah me and my burning questions...

okay...

1. Why do readers advertise card numbers for readings? i.e. 5 card, 15 card, etc..
My only thought (which is why I'm asking here) is that their audience/clients/market are other readers (hobbyist or professional) else how would a non-reader know what that means?

2. Why do readers say what Tarot cards they use?
I have seen and heard this. But again, if they are a non-reader, how would they know? In fact, I would argue that they don't really care and have heard as such. :)

So yes, call me daft or ignorant but I just want to understand and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. In that process I most certainly don't want to disrespect anyone or imply their "method" is any better or worse than any other.

DarkElectric

Hi Abella, :)
I can only speak for me, but as far as advertising 5 cards, 10 cards, etc, my price range is based on this. If I pull 5 cards for someone it'll cost less than 10 cards, which will cost less than 15 cards. This is because it takes more time to go over a longer reading, and I don't charge for the information, I charge for my time. I usually read live. (Not as much as I would like, but when I'm able to get reading gigs, they're live.) These are at faire/festival type things, where clients are backed up. If clients know what to expect beforehand ,they can make the decision to choose the length of their reading depending on time constraints. 5 cards =15 min, $10. 10 = 30 min, $25. 15 =45, $35.
Needless to say, I don't get many 45 minute readings. People around here are reluctant to part with anything over $25. for a reading, unless you're somebody famous, which I'm not.

I've gotten quite good at making sure they get the full impact and information from their readings, even if it's one of the shorter ones. Took a while to learn that skill, but after numerous complaints from the people who were running the events that I was taking too long per client, I changed my reading structure to reflect the time issue. It works.

As far as decks are concerned, I bring several decks which are my favourite reads, and let the clients pick the one they would like me to use. I've found this to be very successful for me, because many of my clients know nothing at all about tarot, and sometimes, in spite of their curiosity, have heard negative things about readings. So for me, it's all about client comfort where imagery is concerned. I've had people frightened off by the Spiral deck, of all things.( My fave deck, along with the Gilded.) These people tend to choose the Connolly instead, with it's non threatening colours, and soft imagery. Giving the client the opportunity to choose the deck they prefer has given me an advantage, at least around here. Other readers don't do this, and sometimes clients really hate the deck, but they won't tell the reader that. I've gotten a lot of clients this way and somehow, I'm able to remember which client likes which deck, when I read for them again at the next faire a year later.

blackroseivy

I don't do in-person readings at this point in my life, BUT I am planning a website wherein the client would be able to do just this, out of ALL of my 50+ decks!

I am going to provide a sample in the form of the Fool from each Tarot, & a good card for each Oracle; then, they can follow a link to here or TG, or Wicce, to see further samples & a more in-depth review than I will give. That way, they have an idea which deck is good for what kind of question, how each works, etc. I think that this will definitely give me the competitive edge over those who use invisible, generic 1-size-fits-all decks & approaches.

If this makes sense at all! ;)

abella

DarkElectric said:
Hi Abella, :)
I can only speak for me, but as far as advertising 5 cards, 10 cards, etc, my price range is based on this. If I pull 5 cards for someone it'll cost less than 10 cards, which will cost less than 15 cards. This is because it takes more time to go over a longer reading, and I don't charge for the information, I charge for my time. I usually read live. (Not as much as I would like, but when...

*Hello*

Thank you for your in-depth response; it's greatly appreciated.

Oh, that makes total sense (yeah, I am daft sometimes... lol) about the deck thing. One can learn a lot about a person based on which deck they are drawn too... *cool*... :) okay, I shall try it out and see what happens...

*curious* why not just say: 5 min, 10 min, 15 min? ...the daftness continues... hehe

abella

danubhe said:
...That way, they have an idea which deck is good for what kind of question, how each works, etc. I think that this will definitely give me the competitive edge over those who use invisible, generic 1-size-fits-all decks & approaches. If this makes sense at all! ;)

Hmmm... I have a lot of decks at this point as well (growing, growing, growing)... eh, I should count them...

I can see the strategy in this though I'm not sure it's making a difference for me in "not" exposing the decks I use.

Anyway, something to contemplate -- thank you!!

Umbrae

This is only about me...

I don't advertise which deck. Even in face-to-face. If you have a choice, it’s of a closed wooden box or bag (“Pick one”).

I do not charge ‘by the hour’. I’m not corporate amerika, I charge by the reading and size of spread. Since size of spread is the determining factor, that’s what you choose.

Consumers feel that more is better. So they can choose more cards. If they are of an economical mindset then they can experience ‘savings’ by having 5 instead of 7 positions.

Yeah – positions. Sometimes I use 2 cards in each position. So a 5 position reading may use 10 cards, which is smaller than a 14 card (7 position) reading.

Am I making sense? (making sense does not mean you agree, just that you understand)...

MercyMe

Like you, abella, I rarely tell the seeker in an online reading which card came up unless the seeker has some tarot understanding and wishes to know. However, I do find myself sometimes explaining a particular card to a querant if it seems right at the time. I do mostly interactive online readings, so the querant asks questions as I am reading, so sometimes the card identification comes up as a natural, conversational aspect of the reading.

I don't usually do the number of cards for a live readings, but for email I do, just as a general framework, to indicate that a reading with fewer cards will cost less and take less time than one with more cards and more time devoted. Even people who don't know and understand tarot can see that fewer cards = a more brief reading.

tarotbear

abella said:
*curious* why not just say: 5 min, 10 min, 15 min? ...the daftness continues... hehe

By specifying there are X number of cards means 'there will be no more' when the last card is placed on the table. This is the signal that 'your time is almost up.'

People try to re-ask their question, try to manipulate the question, change the question, add another question, etc., so if you said only 'ten minutes' worth' then they would try to have you answer every question they can come up with in 10 minutes, probably to 'get their money's worth.'

You can still do an hours' reading with 5 cards, you know!

blackroseivy

Eh, I really do need to pare down the info I give out - I keep telling them which card they are getting, & it's like, apparently this is the wrong approach! I keep learning...

abella

tarotbear said:
By specifying there are X number of cards means 'there will be no more' when the last card is placed on the table. This is the signal that 'your time is almost up.'

heh, I never thought of it that way (I'm glad I asked)!

Lately I have noticed myself saying $10 for one question and then making it no more than 10 minutes because they can't really regulate how long it will take me to answer that one question. :)