Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: The Fool

Le Fanu

Aeon418 said:
Ra-Hoor-Khuit.

You've never watched the A-Team?
I'd never have got that. And no, I didn't used to watch the A-Team but I have heard of Mr T...

Aeon418

Le Fanu said:
I'd never have got that.
Sorry about that.

RHK is one of a small number of acronyms regularly used on the Thoth forum. The other's are:

HPK - Hoor-paar-kraat. (Harpocrates)

HRH - Heru-Ra-Ha.

K&C of HGA - Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel.

Bat Chicken

Aeon418 said:
Not quite. Unity = 0.

This is a bit of a confusing point and many people don't get it straight off, but it's really simple once it clicks home.
When you say that unity is 1, you're actually setting up duality again. The only way to perceive the unity as 1 is to step outside of it. By that very act you have suddenly created the number 2, self and not-self, relationship, relativity, perception, object/subject, etc. Join them back together and they all vanish in Zero. 0=2. ;)
Yes! I see that. It makes perfect sense. :) You get no further argument from me!
But, I wasn't clear in explaining what was causing my confusion. I have to work on my clarity... :bugeyed: Let me think aloud a little here for a minute? I was saying it appears to be 1, because zero to the power of 0 can be defined as either 1 or as undefined, depending on the argument. In the other examples, including yours, it is clearly, logically, 0. I get it - I even love the simplicity. But in this equation... :bugeyed:

When I broke it down, I was getting:
1 (or undefined) = 1 (or undefined) = undefined (meaning any number qualifies including ∞) = 0x∞ (which is also undefined, again, meaning any number qualifies)

Is is possible to see Crowley's zero in this case, philosophically, as undefined (or as any point - but not ALL points in a set)? Or do we really end up with 1=undefined or undefined =undefined? Or by saying that are we still implying existence. If that is the case, then the equation is bad place to work out the logic... LOL! Or the answer best seen in the books on the table/dogs in the study analogy whose logic uses an intersecting set?

The 1/0 to make the infinity of the above equation is allowed by the complex numbers in the Riemann Sphere. Now I have no idea how this works - we'd need a physicist or a mathematician - but it is essentially a complex plane of numbers in a union set of infinity (a point @ infinity) (hence my trouble with the logic of the dogs/books being an intersecting set). Now look at the image below for a geometric interpretation of a complex plane for X=A+B. Interesting?

Complex_numbers_addition.png

Like I said I probably should never have gone here since my skills are in no way up to the challenge! I may be way off base. And it might be time to let it go??

Aeon418 said:
I'm not offended in the slightest. In fact it's usually the other way around. I'm a Sagittarius rising. ;) I don't take offence easily, but I frequently give it without knowing it.
I am Scorpio rising. LOL! Then, I think we are good.

zan_chan

I am not touching any of that with a ten-foot pole, BC. Not yet anyway... ;)

Let's say I'm sitting in front of a client who asks me, "Why aren't I married yet," (actually got this question from a client last week) and I pull the Fool. What do I tell her? What does all of this stuff mean in practical terms? As it stands right now, I'm not sure my answer would be very different than had I pulled the RWS Fool or any other deck's Fool. Should I tell her that the man of her dreams is hanging out somewhere north of Kether? :laugh:

Why/How, when it comes to an actual reading, is this Fool different from all other Fools, so to speak... ?

thorhammer

Bat Chicken said:
When I broke it down, I was getting:
1 (or undefined) = 1 (or undefined) = undefined (meaning any number qualifies including ∞) = 0x∞ (which is also undefined, again, meaning any number qualifies)

Is is possible to see Crowley's zero in this case, philosophically, as undefined (or as any point - but not ALL points in a set)? Or do we really end up with 1=undefined or undefined =undefined? Or by saying that are we still implying existence. If that is the case, then the equation is bad place to work out the logic... LOL! Or the answer best seen in the books on the table/dogs in the study analogy whose logic uses an intersecting set?

The 1/0 to make the infinity of the above equation is allowed by the complex numbers in the Riemann Sphere. Now I have no idea how this works - we'd need a physicist or a mathematician - but it is essentially a complex plane of numbers in a union set of infinity (a point @ infinity) (hence my trouble with the logic of the dogs/books being an intersecting set). Now look at the image below for a geometric interpretation of a complex plane for X=A+B. Interesting?
See, this is where I went wrong. I wasn't going to touch deep maths with a ten-foot pole either, but suddenly, one day, I realised that it's not maths, it's philosophy/cosmology! You already said it once, BC - you can't think your way out of this one. You've got to let it sneak up on you ;) Logic and reason have no place here. And just because I love these verses and I love quoting Liber AL - Chapter II:27-33:
Aiwass said:
27. There is great danger in me; for who doth not understand these runes shall make a great miss. He shall fall down into the pit called Because, and there he shall perish with the dogs of Reason.

28. Now a curse upon Because and his kin!

29. May Because be accursed for ever!

30. If Will stops and cries Why, invoking Because, then Will stops & does nought.

31. If Power asks why, then is Power weakness.

32. Also reason is a lie; for there is a factor infinite & unknown; & all their words are skew-wise.

33. Enough of Because! Be he damned for a dog!

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

zan_chan said:

Let's say I'm sitting in front of a client who asks me, "Why aren't I married yet," (actually got this question from a client last week) and I pull the Fool. What do I tell her? What does all of this stuff mean in practical terms? As it stands right now, I'm not sure my answer would be very different than had I pulled the RWS Fool or any other deck's Fool. Should I tell her that the man of her dreams is hanging out somewhere north of Kether? :laugh:

Why/How, when it comes to an actual reading, is this Fool different from all other Fools, so to speak... ?
He's a very sexual Fool, to begin with, which isn't all that evident in most others. So, without letting this post get into Using Tarot Cards territory . . . I'd say that the client in answer to whose question Atu 0 appeared is still subject to sexual whimsy. S/he isn't willing to commit, basically.

But that's me; and all the stuff in the picture gives you fodder for your reading, grist for your mill . . . so in the situation, you might notice the vulture more particularly, or perhaps the grapes, or maybe the yellow boots . . . and each one will draw your memory back to its significance and from there you snatch a conclusion. But first you(/I) need to learn it all so that it's all stored in there, accessible at the touch of a button, as it were.

\m/ Kat

Kimberlee

zan_chan said:

Here's my (limited) take on it. In a RWS style deck, I would immediately go to "You're acting too foolishly or immaturely," or "You need to look before you leap". Something like that.

In the Thoth, as the infinite zero (see math!), I would be more inclined to say "There are so many possibilities for you right now. You are soaking life in, flitting from idea to idea, not focused on any one thing, including marriage." The sheer scope of the Thoth Fool encompasses even the Big Bang (at least, from my perspective). It's not just 'fool'ish behavior, but rather the spirit of the Fool, in a much grander perspective.

~Kimberlee

Bat Chicken

thorhammer said:
See, this is where I went wrong. I wasn't going to touch deep maths with a ten-foot pole either, but suddenly, one day, I realised that it's not maths, it's philosophy/cosmology! You already said it once, BC - you can't think your way out of this one. You've got to let it sneak up on you ;) Logic and reason have no place here. And just because I love these verses and I love quoting Liber AL - Chapter II:27-33:

\m/ Kat
Yeah, I kinda figured, but it was fun anyway... :laugh:

Bat Chicken

zan_chan said:
Not worth bothering, just mental gymnastics and a bit of fun... :D