Does Tarot make you smarter?

mystic mal

Studying Tarot and symbology for over 30 years has given me a lot of awareness that is somehow hidden from us.I dont even need the cards now to identify someone from the Tarot just looking at their appearance.At the age of 63 my brain cells as far as memory is concerned is diabolical but Tarot and esoteric subjects "stay put" for some reason as if it has a memory bank of its own.

Gazel

caridwen said:
It has forced me to study many subjects that I wouldn't have ordinarily I don't know if that makes you smarter or more intelligent though:)

Well. Everyday I am occupied with tarot, I learn something new about something.

It is also about being creative, making new connections. Being reflective, intuitive, interpretative etc.

At least it broadens ones mind, I think. That can't be bad.

Gazel.

Tiro DvD

I'd say no. At its very basis the Tarot is a hobby. Anything learned from the Tarot is synonymous and already covered by a decent understanding of one's culture. It's like saying knowing Shakespeare makes you smarter. Err no. Everyone should understand Shakespeare. Knowing it just makes you normal, not smarter, while not knowing just makes you an ignoramus. (Notice that "ignoramus" is from the same root word as "ignore".)

missycab

In my opinion, learning tarot doesn't make you "smarter", meaning that it increases your I.Q. But I think that it's like when you learn a different language, or take a course on something: it makes you "grow". You see things from a different perspective, your mind is wider, your capacity of understanding increases.

mac22

It does indeed!

Because it teaches you to memorize, to relate ideas, intuition & meaning in new ways constantly.... this probably promotes new neuron growth. It also promotes new language skills & people skills -- which in turn promotes self esteem & personal growth. It promotes deeper study in a myriad ways & subjects. It promotes deeper thought, reflection & contemplation.

...And that's just for starters:D

Mac22

greycats

It could---or not.

I'd say it depends on what you do when you "do" tarot. Do you learn new things? Memorize new stuff? Expand what you know about card meanings? Consider other points of view? Experiment?
Or do you always stay with the tried and true? Use the same tools you developed when you first learned about the tarot? When you read, do you find yourself saying the same things?

There's nothing wrong tarot-wise you answer "yes" to the second set of questions, but you're probably aren't honing the wits very much. I'm not sure what "smarter" entails, but a sharp wit requires use. ;)

mac22

greycats said:
There's nothing wrong tarot-wise you answer "yes" to the second set of questions, but you're probably aren't honing the wits very much. I'm not sure what "smarter" entails, but a sharp wit requires use. ;)

The Tarot, runes & people are new & different every day. It causes me to grow, learn & study and thus more new neuron patterns & growth :)

Because there are SO MANY points of connection it is impossible for me to become bored or ever claim or say "yes, I know all there is about Tarot, runes etc."...;)

mac22

jayem

i believe tarot definately has its benefits. it makes you use both your right and left side of the brain, and makes you better at putting puzzles together and using your imagination to search for meanings. it does open you up, and ive noticed people who do tarot tend to be more understands and less narrow minded on certain things. that isnt to say anybody who doesnt practice tarot is a complete idiot, but its is a great tool for opening up the mind.

Briar Rose

mac22 said:
It does indeed!

Because it teaches you to memorize, to relate ideas, intuition & meaning in new ways constantly.... this probably promotes new neuron growth. It also promotes new language skills & people skills -- which in turn promotes self esteem & personal growth. It promotes deeper study in a myriad ways & subjects. It promotes deeper thought, reflection & contemplation.

...And that's just for starters:D

Mac22

I agree with you!

mac22

HeavensVault said:
I agree with you!

Thanks!:)

There is so much MORE to Tarot than just pictures on pasteboard!

mac22