Does Tarot make you smarter?

Kenny

No. Tarot does not make you smarter.

Yet me explain, a deck of cards with pretty pictures by itself does not make one smart. Looking at the pictures, shuffling the cards, making stories out of them does not make you smart.

But if you study the pretty picture cards, dig below the pictures at stuff which the artist may or may-have-not have meant then you may become smart. Watching TV doesn't make you smart but if you study TV it may make you smart.

So, no, Tarot by itself does not make you smarter. Studying Tarot on the otherhand may make you smarter.

Alta

I think it does make you more aware and 'intelligent' in certain areas of mind. Obviously it will not raise your general IQ, won't make your math skills greater, won't let you know all the sub-species of certain flora, but it will raise your level of processing certain information. And, that I think is of great value.

Dwaas

Tarot triggered my already existing interest in history, music, clothing, countries, legends, filosophy, cardgames, etc. So yes I believe tarot can be of help getting smarter in a way. Or at least getting more knowlegde and fresh views on many themes and matters.

Glass Owl

I think that reading and studying the Tarot helps keep my brain active. I could see someone writing a book titled "Exercise Your Mind Using The Tarot."

I don't know about Tarot making me smarter but it seems that when I'm learning something new and/or challenging it often helps if I'm able to mentally connect to the Tarot somehow. It seems to be easier for me to remember or understand the new information..

From USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-01-17-exercise-options_x.htm

"A fast spin on the dance floor or taking daily walks might help keep the brain in top shape as people age — and might reduce the risk of developing age-related diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's, experts now say."

In addition to staying fit and eating a healthful diet (one loaded with colorful fruits and vegetables), the article talks about the importance of challenging your mind to keep your brain healthy.

"The mental decline that goes along with old age can be traced to altered connections between brain cells, Edgerly says. But stimulating leisure activities can help keep those connections strong. Activities such as playing chess, card games such as poker, going to the theater, reading a book or learning how to play a musical instrument — all might help keep older brain cells agile and less vulnerable to damage, she says."

For more information, visit www.alz.org or www.pdf.org.

Original Destiny

We have this great lump of matter in our heads which we only partially use...its a fantastic piece of kit. Anything that we study must develop the brains capabilities more. Wether this makes us more intelligent or smarter I doubt but it would be a shame not to use it more. Studying and learning probably raises our consciousness, lifts us up the spiral...
http://www.spiraldynamics.net/

Lewen

I don't know much about being "smarter" but my intuition and "inner voice" has grown louder and I have learned to trust it more. I feel that is the best gift Tarot has given me so far. When my spidey sense tingles, I trust it! :)

rainwolf

I think tarot reading and studying cause our brains to 'make connections' and look deeper into everyday events. It keeps them sharp, observant, and active.

Edited to add:
I know people that didn't learn tarot simply because of "too much information". However, I think that depends how you organize it. So in that regard, the people that can actually learn it have mental organizational skills that can allow them to learn more, faster, and better because they have the skills to divide up information.

Tara2007

HearthCricket said:
I often see articles that inform us that reading, learning a new language, playing games, solving puzzles, etc., keeps the brain and memory healthy and growing strong, no matter what age. I often wonder, do you think tarot does the same? I do. Reading or studying tarot is a language all of its own. Constantly studying the artwork and symbolism and feeing our brains with new decks and new ideas, must be doing some good to us! And that doesn't even count the books we read, the paths we take, the journeys and studies that a deck or even a picture, a religions, a deity or theme might take us.

So, do you feel smarter being a tarot reader/collector/studier/artist? Do you think it does the body good?

Interesting question. I surely feel more knowledgeable about many things since learning tarot firsthand. Getting readings for many years is an education but only in part. It wasn't until I bought my own decks and began exploring the possibilities of tarot reading that the learning experience expanded in many directions.

I do feel tarot is a language all its own. And now that own so many different decks I am not so sure that different decks speak "tarot" differently, in spite of the LWB of meanings. I think instead that some decks work best with a particular type of question instead...or perhaps that there is a dialect of tarot that is unique to the Gothic, or the Thoth, etc.

So...yes, I do believe tarot enables us to use the intelligence we have and to broaden our horizons on a continual basis. It's a marvelous thing to have in your life.

Love & Light
Nancy

SarahRose

Oh I think definitely yeah! :)

Skysteel

HearthCricket said:
I often see articles that inform us that reading, learning a new language, playing games, solving puzzles, etc., keeps the brain and memory healthy and growing strong, no matter what age. I often wonder, do you think tarot does the same?

No, although I think people who are into structure, patterns, correlating data (i.e. classical 'intelligent' traits) are more likely to be attracted to Tarot.