Marseilles Seekers Thread (sixth Exercise)

EnriqueEnriquez

Dear all,

I regret to say that we have arrived at our last exercise. It has been enormously fun for me to ‘meet’ with you here, weekly. Of course, this is not a “good bye” since we will be working on some readings for a couple of weeks starting next week, and because we will hopefully keep in touch. I am ‘here’ for you at any time.

For our last exercise we will again look at three cards together, maximum five. Why do I say “maximum five”? because when I have my three cards on the table, and I see that one of the characters in the cards is looking outside the sequence, I find useful to place a card there to ‘close’ the spread and see what is what the character is looking at (I first learned about the idea of following the character’s gaze in Paul Marteau’s book, but I have seen Jodorowsky doing the same, and I know Philippe Camoin suggest the same thing in his method). Since a character may be seeing outside the sequence either at the beginning or the end of the three card-sequence, the original sequence might grow from three to four cards, if only one character is looking out, or from three to five if we have characters looking outside both at the beginning and the end of the sequence. (Wow! so complicate to explain by writing, so simply to actually see!)

Only human characters look out. If a pip is at the beginning or the end of a sequence, there is no need to place any additional card.

So, please, give it a try and work with this simple arrangement: a single row of three cards that you might eventually extend up to five cards.

So far, in our exercises, we have been kind of “zooming out” from looking at specific details in the cards to looking at single cards and then at whole sequences. This way we work accordingly to the way the whole pack of cards, as an object, functions, which is in a constantly changing sequence. Do you know how much is “too much salt”? It is very hard to say if we don’t know what are we cooking, for whom, or for how many people. Same thing happens with each card. What does a card means? It is very hard to say if we don’t know what are we asking, who is asking, and how many other cards are on the table. In our fifth exercise we noticed how we are able to get the cards' message as soon as we look at them. The message is simple and direct. The only real difficulty lies in putting that understanding into words. This weeks’ exercise builds up on our fifth exercise. The idea is to facilitate this process, so we can detect the message in a sequence of cards and know what to say.

The exercise is simple: look at three cards and ask yourselves these two questions:

- What is happening?

- How does this feel?

(Those of you who have my lecture notes will know this questions already. ;-) I saved them for the end because I think they are extremely useful. Specially when a client has no question.)

The first question should lead to a more or less objective description of the image. Here we apply all what we have been practicing in the previous exercises: we define a three-part sentence based on the images (haiku-style), we look for eye-rhymes, rhythms, and patters. The second question should lead to a ‘memory-search’ for those moments of our life that can be illustrated by the card's image. I don’t want a subjective response to the artwork, but a recollection of a moment in which you have felt something similar to what you see happening in the cards. Answer with your memory.

Please, do at least three sequences stating what What is happening?" and "How does this feel?".

Questions are welcome. I am looking forward to your insights!

Best,

EE

stella01904

Printing your post, I'll have mine on Monday.

EnriqueEnriquez said:
...because when I have my three cards on the table, and I see that one of the characters in the cards is looking outside the sequence, I find useful to place a card there to ‘close’ the spread and see what is what the character is looking at (I first learned about the idea of following the character’s gaze in Paul Marteau’s book, but I have seen Jodorowsky doing the same, and I know Philippe Camoin suggest the same thing in his method).

I think it's very natural to put a card there, you just HAVE to know what someone is looking at! Like those stories about a person drawing a crowd just by staring at the top of some building...:laugh:

Satori

What lecture notes? Who did you lecture? What are you talking about there Professore?

Satori

What is happening?
How does this feel?

L'Estoille
What is happening:
A woman who is comfortable in her skin and in her environment pours water from her pitchers into the stream. Above her stars pulse, and she seems to be at one with her surroundings.
How does this feel:
In the stillness of this moment, there is a sense of wonder and peace. I hear the bird calls, the breeze rustles the leaves of the trees. There is a fresh smell in the air, bringing more peace and unification with the landscape. The sound of the water being poured back into the stream is laden with meaning, the water is cool and refreshing.

La Lune
What is happening:
The dogs are yipping in the darkness, and the water in the pool is stale and still. The Moon is rising, the town not far off. There is a sense of frantic and unsettled movement. Almost manic.

How does this feel:
There is no longer a feeling of unity with a peaceful setting. The sound of the dogs brings a feeling of chaos and doom. The moonlight creates shadows and a feeling of foreboding. The sound of the dogs creates a feeling of fear.

Le Soleil
What is happening:
The sun bakes the environment. There is no hiding from it. Two children stand unprotected from the rays of the sun, no other life is around. They seem to be trying to use each other's body for protection. The wall behind them seems to push them forward....there is no place to go to hide...

How does this feel:
I feel a sense of empathy toward the children. I want to help them somehow...I want to reach out to them. I feel that they are unaware of the danger they might be facing. Where is the sunblock?

Bernice

Keeping it brief - simple:

Knight Swords - Ace Swords - Knight Batons: This became:

10 Batons - Knight Swords - Ace Swords - 9 Coins

These cards seems to be primarlily about the Ace Swords, it's a central focus of the spread. (pattern-wise)

This is what is happening:
This is someone who is drawing upon a past occurance of negociating a tricky or sensitive experience. At the same time they also have an eye on some future (profitable) expectation.

The Ace swords seems to be not only the 'prize' they're after, but also signifys that they will fight to achieve it - and defend their right to attain and keep it.

This is how it feels:
Both aggressive and defensive, and determined to achieve attainment.

Bee

EnriqueEnriquez

Satori and Bernice,

That is great. For the sake of the exercise, could you please rephrase your replies, literally answering:

- What is happening: (Here you put your answer)

- How does this feel: (Here you put your answer)

I know it sounds too school-like, but this will help you reach further within each category. :)

Best,

EE

Bernice

O.k. Aplogies: I've edited mine.

Phine

Today I pulled these cards for the last exercise:

Wand 8 - Coins 2 - Queen of Wand - XVIIII Sun

What happens?
A strong connection (wand 8) is broken up (coins 2) by a woman (Queen of wand), who is now waiting how this situation will turn out (XVIIII Sun).
Wand 8 shows a connection at its best (number 8 as the "best form" an element will ever reach), it reminds me to a strong but flexible junction or a trampoline - strong but not rigid. In coins 2 it´s broken up - looking like a ripped fan belt that sets the coins free (or flowers shown from above? maybe heads and modes of thoughts?). It must have been the Queen of wand, who saved one precious wand from the beginning, perhaps the one thing that was originally hers. But she doesn´t look at what she obtained. She seems to gaze pensively into future - what will it bring? A new approach? Or the definite end?

What does it feel like?
On the one hand there is a feeling of sorrow and insecurity but on the other hand it feels strong, self-confident and ready to accept responsibility.

Thank you very much, EE, for this great class :heart:!!!