Are dreams mostly compensatory?

SunChariot

Most of my dreams seem to be reflections of my current feelings, even if some of them bring unconscious feelings I did not know I had to the fore. Sometimes we just have nightmares because we ate something to spicy before bed too....

That being said I also have had dreams containing deep spiritual messages and/or visits from my angels within the dream who came to teach me something during the dream. And I know of at least one dream I had that was a vivid past life memory.

Babs

BrightEye

SunChariot said:
And I know of at least one dream I had that was a vivid past life memory.
How could you tell?

SunChariot

Actually that was a bit of a weird story. LOL I did not even believe in reincarnation at the time it happened. But I had SO many readings saying that this man I am in love with now and I had been together in past lifetimes. I was like "Yeah, sure!" because I just did not believe in that at all at the time. Even though for some reason with him was the one and only time I felt love at first sight. I did know for sure within 3 minutes of knowing him that I loved him like I had known him all my life and within a few days it was a full blown romantic love. That never happened to me before (or since) so maybe... maybe my soul did unconsiously recognize him when we met in this lifetime.

Anyhow, there I was not at all believing in that kind of thing, reincarnation and all, and I kept on getting readings from all different sources, even strangers that kept saying we had known each other in past lives and had been a couple.

Then I just had the dream. I don't know how else to tell you how you know something is real except you just feel it inside. And I felt it was a real memory enough to actually become convinced that reincarnation exists and I have felt sure of that ever since.

It was just a simple enough dream. Just that I was living in an old-fashioned kindof place, like from hundreds of years ago...little wooden buidings, built by hand...looked something like the builldings you'd see in a movie, a Western. Anyway, I knew I wanted to go to him and I just somehow knew how to get there, turned down one little street and down another...until I came to where I knew he would be. And I went in.

I was a building like a barn kindof on the inside, with a ladder you had to climb to get to it. And I just climbed the ladder and there he was in the loft with another older man. They were both working, on a kind of anvil...mabye they were blacksmiths? ...his was in front, the older man's was to the behind at bit and to the left. Anyway, my love stopped working and came over to me to see what I had wanted. Interestingly, physically he looked nothing at all like he does today, only the hair colour was the same, and yet my heart knew for sure it was him.

So he came over to stand next to me and he was just looking down at my quizzically to see why I had come and what I wanted. And I was just so overwhelmed with complete love, all I could think was "You want to know what I want, oh how could I ever want for anything when you're near". Actually in the dream I loved him much much more than I do yet in this lifetime. As we have not had a lot of time to be together and get to know each other in this life, even though I did feel love at first sight, like my heart just recognized him again when I met him again this time, on some unconsicous level. I do think we were married once, parts of the first part of the dream gave me that impression, but I will leave those parts out as they get a bit personal

You know I get the Answered Prayer card all the time about him, about that is why we are in each other's lives now. You know I'm never quite sure whose prayer it was that was answered when we met each other again. LOL Sometimes I wonder if it was even a prayer from this lifetime, or if one of us did not pray in another lifetime to have a second chance...(?) I was told in a reading I died first and he seemed rather distraght over it. The reading said I was not seeing the big picture in our relationship which likely spans serveal lifetimes. Maybe he prayed for a second chance in an earlier lifetime?

Babs

WishingWell

I can only speak from my own experience on dreams of past lives. Mine have been very clear, lacking the symbolism and fogginess of mundane dreams. Also, I woke up from them feeling profoundly unsettled for days, afterward. I'd compare the experience of watching a past life unfold in a dream to watching a play acted out on a stage. Scene by scene, in a linear fashion, rather than the weird jumble of nonsense images, people, and places you see or visit in a typical dream.

My first dream of a past life occurred when I was very young. Seven years old or so. Once I woke up, I described the dream to my mother (like children tend to do), right down to the location, what I was wearing, how I died, and who I was with at the time. She seemed to think it was "just a dream" but we both remembered the details of it over the years.

A couple of years ago, my mother went to a psychic who told her, "Your daughter died (just as I described)........in her past life." No prompting, no hints or clues. It wasn't my reading and I wasn't even present, after all; she just stated what she saw.

I always knew that it was just that- a dream of a past life. The psychic just validated my own experience, which was a relief. When you witness your own past life in a dream, I think it's rather recognizable. It just rings true.

SunChariot

Actually, that to me is a hallmark of a "real" dream too (past life dream or a true comminication), that it passes is real time, is realistic and is not full of symbolism. I forgot to say but the night my father died, I had a dream like that. Everything was exactly exactly as it would have been in real life. The timing, the time of day...it was 100% real. That was in 1976 and I'm convinced to this day that it was a real communication and he did not want to move on without talking to me, as we were having a bit of a fight when he died. He was trying to talk me out of seeing this man I loved. I think it must have been weighing on him to leave things as they were, so came back to talk to me before he moved on. My father was also a very sensitive man and we were very close. I was only 20 at the time.

Babs

memries

To me dreams are an alien landscape I strive to understand. It all started because I was having such realistic dreams and many times scary.
I knew they were part of me even if I did not understand them. What are they ? Where are they from ? Why ?

I did not find much information that was informative and have studied them for years and years. I have my own thoughts on what they are now.
Your question, "Are most dreams compensatory ?" I would say no, of course many are but not "most". There are all sorts of dreams and dream stages.
Compensatory is a pretty big word and can be interpreted in many ways so it was a good word to use but you have to look deeper than that.

Milfoil

From personal experience I can't see most dreams being compensatory at all. I can imagine that some people may work that way but my own dreams tend to be, more often than not, the way that I am in waking life just with strange place or people to make a point or teach a lesson.

I have had two distinct, past-life dreams where key elements of archetecture and historical references came to light that neither I nor the local museum/historian knew about until we did some research! Pretty cool at the time I must say.

BrightEye

Milfoil said:
my own dreams tend to be, more often than not, the way that I am in waking life just with strange place or people to make a point or teach a lesson.
Well, this is interesting because in the same book it said - if I remember correctly - that most dreams don't teach us anything, they have no lessons and don't tell us what to do, which I read as they don't give us any guidance.

Milfoil

BrightEye said:
Well, this is interesting because in the same book it said - if I remember correctly - that most dreams don't teach us anything, they have no lessons and don't tell us what to do, which I read as they don't give us any guidance.

Well thats a c*** book then . . . .

LOL ;)

:laugh:

WishingWell

^ Agreed. I've always placed a great deal of importance on my dreams. Even before I took any real interest in Tarot, when I still believed astrology was bunk, I still felt that dreams provided necessary insight into myself and the world around me. "Sleep on it" has carried a deeper level of meaning to me, because my dreams have helped me process things that I've only sensed or detected beneath the surface of superficial interactions or goings on. My dreams have clarified so many confusing relationships and situations that I've come to rely on them for illumination and advice on a regular basis.

Sometimes, I even make a mental note to dream of something specific, if I'm especially conflicted, to better understand a person or event's significance in my life. Nothing stated in a book would convince me that they're not a valuable resource of information and inner wisdom.