book recommendation for learning cards intuitively

firecatpickles

kwaw said:
Perhaps one of those that have re-phrased the occult exercises in more pseudo-scientific pop-psychological terminology to broaden the appeal to a modern audience.

I swear I am going to quote you in my signature one day, S. lol Perfectly said here.

If you are interested in broadening your psychic powers (i.e., "intuition"), why not look into doing that and including the cards as a sidebar? In Spirituality (forum) there are many discussions on techniques, study groups, books, etc.

daphne

kwaw, huh, so many choices!!!

better, tell me smth about one that You read

daphne

thorhammer, been there, done that, didn`t work for me

fire cat, I still want to keep the Tarot cards as the main interest, not spirituality per se

gregory

daphne said:
I also was considering the Mary Greer`s book, but I don`t like how she writes, very chaotic and non-focused. I read Tarot reversals from her and it is just a messy story.

The other one I never herd until now. I looked up on amazon.uk and I found two books from him:

Get the Whole Story: Tarot, Get the Whole Story

Tarot Tells the Tale: Explore Three-Card Readings through Familiar Stories

What are you refering at?
Both ! Seriously ! But either one makes the point - I'd go for Tells the Tale first.

But I still love 21 Ways. As, I see, do others !

BUT
daphne said:
thorhammer, been there, done that, didn`t work for me
If you mean that - you may be in real trouble. Step back and take more time. (the Michele Morgan is good, too, BTW)

Scion

kwaw said:
Perhaps one of those that have re-phrased the occult exercises in more pseudo-scientific pop-psychological terminology to broaden the appeal to a modern audience.
:thumbsup: Oh that made me laugh in the Saturn hour. Thank you Kwaw.

Umbrae

The Process

Dan Pelletier

AJ

You probably don't even need to buy the 21 ways book, there is a step by step group here, and reading how all the participants worked through each step might trigger some ideas for you.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74465

You could also just pick up a symbol dictionary, big fat satisfying books that give you an idea what all those little details in a card might mean.

Keeping in mind that many decks are drawn/painted by people who know nothing about tarot so their little additions and filler probably have no meaning at all.

Many decks have their own study groups here at AT
http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisp...1&pp=30&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1
you could look at those and see what other eyes picked up that maybe yours didn't notice.

I've had a tarot blog for years, today I drew the magician for probably the 30th time. I've never once written the same thing about that card...they always have something new to say. If we listen.

daphne

AJ said:
I've had a tarot blog for years, today I drew the magician for probably the 30th time. I've never once written the same thing about that card...they always have something new to say. If we listen.

Hm, 30 times and every time something different?!
I feel so dumb!

KafkasGhost

daphne said:
Hm, 30 times and every time something different?!
I feel so dumb!

Don't feel dumb. :love:

Actually, being in a constant state of "not knowing" is what will help you develop a more intuitive relationship with your cards.

I take it you were asking for books to give you ideas on how to learn your cards intuitively? You can probably get a lot of ideas here. A "book" to learn "intuitively" is a bit of an oxymoron b/c I think we take "intuitive" reading here to mean eschewing books entirely.

But I knew what you meant, sometimes we need a guide to help us figure out some things before we can jump off the cliff without the parachute. In my own study, I am no exception. Though I am learning to lean less on books. It's quite liberating and scary at the same time.

I am convinced that the true teachers of learning tarot inside and out is time and life experience.

daphne

KafkasGhost said:
I take it you were asking for books to give you ideas on how to learn your cards intuitively? You can probably get a lot of ideas here. A "book" to learn "intuitively" is a bit of an oxymoron b/c I think we take "intuitive" reading here to mean eschewing books entirely.

Yes, I agree. In fact, I was thinking of thos when I wrote my message here.:)

KafkasGhost said:
I am convinced that the true teachers of learning tarot inside and out is time and life experience.

I agree with this!