book recommendation for learning cards intuitively

daphne

Hi,

I am looking to buy a tarot book that teach how to interpret cards more intuitively, that describe the connection you can establish with the cards.

I am more attracted to the symbolism interpretations but I would also like to get to see the cards in a very personal, intuitive way, close probably to the meditation. There are a lot of books out there but I don’t know which one is a good one in guiding a process of getting familiar with the cards at a personal level.

I already have some books which were helpful in getting the meanings (Tarot plain and simple, Tarot reversals, 78 degree of wisdom, Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation, Nancy Shavick's Tarot Universe). Don’t get me wrong, they are all good books but I am still longing for that book presenting the card in a fresh and original way, giving some clues how to really enter in the world of each card.

Would be nice some advice from your experience.
Thanks!

gregory

Mary Greer: 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card.

And James Ricklef.

Also look here.

daphne

I also was considering the Mary Greer`s book, but I don`t like how she writes, very chaotic and non-focused. I read Tarot reversals from her and it is just a messy story.

The other one I never herd until now. I looked up on amazon.uk and I found two books from him:

Get the Whole Story: Tarot, Get the Whole Story

Tarot Tells the Tale: Explore Three-Card Readings through Familiar Stories

What are you refering at?

Thanks for the link, I already read reviews on most of them but I wanted to get some impression from people here too, what they experience was good for them.

BodhiSeed

I also heartily recommend Mary Greer's book, "21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card." Have a pen and a notebook ready for this one!

Another that I found useful was "A Magical Course in Tarot" by Michele Morgan. Don't be fooled by the hokey title.:D This one is an easy read, and really helps you find the meanings from within.

A third suggestion is creating your own personal journal. Take notes when you do a reading. What ideas/thoughts/memories pop in your head when you look at a card (no matter how off-the-wall they might seem)? Review your daily readings later in the evening, see what connections to your day or situation might be made, and jot them down.

Disa

Well, I have 2 here that have some useful information, but then they have yet ANOTHER description of each card.

The Intuitive Tarot: A Metaphysical Approach to Reading the Tarot Cards by Richard Gordon with Dixie Taylor

A Magical Course in Tarot: Reading the cards in a whole new way by Michele Morgan

I maintain my position that we need more books on tarot WITHOUT descriptions of the individual cards, but anyway...

Maybe one of these will appeal to you.

daphne

Bodhran, thanks for suggestions.

Never loke into "A Magical Course in Tarot" by Michele Morgan, most probably due to the title, I`m not into magic stuff. I just want to get into the cards atmosphere, to be able to "talk" with them, I hope it doesnt sound too strange.

I already have a personal journal for a ling time but somehow I feel I`m not on the right track and therefore I start looking for some books.

About 21 ways, I already told before I have some doubts to buy it due to her writting skills not quite appealing for me.

daphne

Thank you, Disa, I`ll look into those two, especially the second one already pop out twice in this thread recomandations...

BodhiSeed

daphne said:
Bodhran, thanks for suggestions.

Never loke into "A Magical Course in Tarot" by Michele Morgan, most probably due to the title, I`m not into magic stuff. I just want to get into the cards atmosphere, to be able to "talk" with them, I hope it doesnt sound too strange.

I already have a personal journal for a ling time but somehow I feel I`m not on the right track and therefore I start looking for some books.

About 21 ways, I already told before I have some doubts to buy it due to her writting skills not quite appealing for me.

About the "Magical" book... there's not really anything in it about magic... its just about reading tarot.:D (That's what I meant when I said the title was a bit "hokey").
I've tried some of Mary Greer's other books and didn't care for them either, but the "21 Ways" book was very easy to understand because you have exercises to do with the cards...

kwaw

daphne said:

Then perhaps it is the 'magical' ones that may be of interest, or more particularly, those that deal with 'pathworking'? ('stepping into the cards', if you like).

http://books.google.co.uk/books?lr=&q=pathworking+tarot&um=1&as_brr=3&sa=N&start=0

Perhaps one of those that have re-phrased the occult exercises in more pseudo-scientific pop-psychological terminology to broaden the appeal to a modern audience.

thorhammer

I'm feeling cantankerous, and am going to beat Umbrae to the punch.

The best book to teach you how to read cards intuitively? A notebook. Accessory: a pen. Oh, and that deck of cards.

\m/ Kat

ETA ~ LOL @ kwaw *highfive*