Peeking Through The Keyhole-remote Viewing

Jemoflight

I get the feeling that there is some kind of spanish connection like a spanish fort, or something spanish in the name. I get important meetings were held here lots of thinking or maybe like minded individuals. I see horses and lots of people coming and going. A very busy place. Some kind of social event was held here as well. I also see people playing card games and gambling and drinking. There seems to be some connection with the military and swords. Random thought - a devilishly handsome man frequently visited this place. The type that makes women swoon. With the last pic I smell smoke like there was a fire here at one time and portions of the place had to be rebuilt. For the most part it was a happy jovial place and I can almost here the sounds of music like a band or people singing.

I so missed the peeks. I'm glad I have a chance to particpate again. Thanks for keeping this going CN

celticnoodle

The Reveal!

Well, all in all, it looks like everyone did rather well with this one. here is the reveal, and hopefully by tonight a new peek will be up and running! :D

Rozhen Monastery is one of the largest and the oldest one in Bulgaria. The date of its foundation is not known exactly, but according to archives it has already existed in the 13th century. It is unique in its nature –it is situated at the foot of Pirin Mountain, surrounded by picturesque limestone cliffs and thick forests.

In Rozhen monastery one can see the houses of the monks, called cells, the kitchen, which they call “magernitsa”, a dining room, where the monks eat, and a winter chapel where they pray during the cold snowy days. The buildings surround the monastery, forming the monastery complex and thus they create a unique atmosphere and comfort. In the middle, it is situated the main church "Rozhdestvo Bogorodichno". There one can admire beautiful ancient wall paintings (frescos), unique wood-carvings, and stained glasses. In this church, it’s stored the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary. The legend for this icon tells how it appeared in the church. It was found on the coast of the Aegean Sea at the foot of Athos monasteries in Greece. Then, it was transferred by the monks to Rozhen monastery.

Pages: 1 | 2
2.History
An accurate data on the foundation of the monastery is still missing. According to chronicles, kept at Mount Athos, Greece, it was established in the year of 890. During the rule of Despot Alexi Slav, as being the Governor of the region at the time of the reign of Tsar Kaloyan (1197-1207) and his nephew, the monastery was enriched with several new buildings. Indirect evidence for that time is found in a transcript of an ancient Greek manuscript from the 13th century, richly decorated with miniatures. It is said in it that the book has belonged to the monastery located near Melnik. The earliest record in which the monastery is mentioned by its current name is contained in a manuscript in 1551. This manuscript is now included in the manuscript collection of the Great laurel of Athos, written by the then abbot of the monastery "Virgin Rozinotisa (i.e. Rozhen)- monk Kozma. Most probably, the original monastery complex suffered severe damages. It is considered that in the 17th century it was burnt down and then it was reconstructed in the early 18th century with the financial support of wealthy Bulgarians from all over the country. The monastery reached its zenith during the 19th century, when serving as a regional spiritual center and numerous land plots belonged to it in the surrounding area. Since the beginning of its existence, it was not dependent on the local bishop in Melnik, but it was under the rule of the oecumenical patriarch - a privilege, which secures only the most significant monasteries in the Orthodox world. Throughout the Ottoman slavery it fell under Greek influence. It was transformed into a cloister of Iver monastery in Sveta Gora and in 1912 it was again under Bulgarian influence. The dispute over the ownership of the monastery was resoluted by the Supreme Court in Hague in 1921, where ownership rights were adjudicated to Bulgaria.

Nowadays, Rozhen monastery is well maintained and it is opened to visitors the whole year. On September 8th, people celebrate the holiday of the monastery, when people from the region gather to participate in the celebrations.

Pages: 1 | 2

History and general info
The monastery is believed to have been founded by a hermit, John of Rila, in the 10th century, during the reign of the Bulgarian Tzar Peter (927-968). St John of Rila, whose relics are exhibited for pilgrims in the main church, in fact lived in a cave about half-an-hour walk away from the present-day monastery complex. The monastery itself is considered to have been built by his scholars, who came to the place to be taught by him.

The monastery has enjoyed great respect and privileges ever since it was established. For instance, all the Bulgarian tzars from Ivan Assen II (1218-1241) to the fall of Bulgaria under Ottoman rule at the time of Ivan Shishman (1371-1393) made generous donations to the monastery. The Donation Deed of Tzar Ivan Shishman (1378) testifies to that and also to the preferences the monastery benefited from. The official support helped the monastery grow into a cultural and religious centre of that time. Indeed it saw its prime in the 12-14th centuries and its upsurge was broken only by the arrival of the Ottomans in the end of the 14th century, which was followed by raids and destruction of the complex in the mid-15th century.

The turn of the 15th century saw the revival of the establishment. This was done with the assistance of the Russian orthodox church, which gave donations to visiting monks in the form of books, money, and church accessories in the second half of the 15th century. The national Renaissance period of the 18th and 19th centuries gave a further impetus to the recovery of the monastery. At that time, the complex was reconstructed and renovated with donations of wealthy Bulgarians from all over the country (Koprivshtitsa, Teteven, Chirpan, Stara Zagora, Samokov, Sofia).

The present-day look of the monastery dates back to the 19th century. The residential buildings, which form a closed irregular quadrangle, started in 1816. In the middle of the inner courtyard rises the oldest building of the complex - an impressive stone tower, built by the local feudal Sebastocrator Hrelyu in 1334-1335. A small church, which is just a few years younger (1343) stands next to the tower. In more recent times, a belfry was added to the tower (1844). Around that time, the monastery’s main church, “the Nativity of the Virgin”, was built as well. It was built by “protomaster” Pavel Ivanovich (May 1, 1834 – October 26, 1837), which is testified by a marble plaque, inserted into the cornice of the open gallery above the entrance of the church. The church is a 5-domed one with three altar niches and two side chapels. One of the biggest valuables of the church is its wooden iconostasis with azure fretwork. The wall paintings, finished in 1846, were made by many artists, but it was only the famous Zahari Zograf (whose work can be still seen in quite a few monasteries nowadays) who signed below his works. Besides, the monastery treasures a number of valuable icons painted in the 14th-19th centuries.

The appearance of the present-day monastery buildings was given by the first Bulgarian architekton Aleksi Rilets. He designed the architectural plan and guided the construction of the eastern wing (started on May 1, 1816), the north wing with its famous monastery kitchen and the western wing (finished in 1819). This is testified to by three plaques above the doors of the mill, the Samokov and the Dupnitsa entrances. Besides his name, the plaques contain the names of Fathers Superior Yosif and Teodosii. Following a devastating fire in 1833, Aleksi Rilets ran the reconstruction of the ruined wooden part of the monastery with the help of 3,000 master builders, who managed to finish it within just 10 days. A wooden kiosk with an inscription built by master Kastyo of Debur in April 1834 marked the conclusion of the recovery works. The construction of the southern wing of the monastery (1846-1847) in the style of architekton Aleksi Rilets was led by master Milenko, as learnt by a brick inscription above the cornice of the western wall of the wing built by him: “1846 Milenko Oustabashi, Radomir”.

The entire complex is quite impressive for its size. The 4-floor residential part consists of no less than 300 monks’ cells, 4 chapels, an abbot’s room, a kitchen, a library and guestrooms for donors. The kitchen is particularly interesting for its really huge cooking vessels. The exterior of the monastery is no less intriguing for its high and severe stone walls (reaching 4 floors and even more at some places) cut through by small windows – reminding of a military fort rather than a monastery.

Once in the complex, it is worth visiting the monastery’s museum, which hosts a unique work of art, namely The Raphael’s Cross. The cross is made of a whole piece of wood (81cm x 43cm) and is named after its creator. The monk used fine chisels, small knives and magnifying lens to carve 104 religious scenes and 650 small figures into the cross. The cross was finished in 1802 after the monk worked on it for no less than 12 years, losing his sight upon completion.

Similarly to other Bulgarian monasteries that survived during Ottoman times, the Rila monastery has acted as a centre of spiritual and cultural life for the Bulgarian nation during the foreign rule. During that time, the monks created new works and made copies of medival Bulgarian authors, representing mainly the Turnovo and Mount Athos schools.

The monastery was declared a national historical monument in 1976, while in 1983 it was inscribed in UNESCO’s list of world heritage.
Accommodation and food
The monastery offers accommodation while the area around it has grown into a developed tourist centre with plenty of restaurants and hotels. Once in the neighbourhood, it is worth trying the delicious mountain trout caught in the Rilska river or special breading pools by the river and offered in most of the restaurants around.
Price for a bed at the monastery: 15 USD
Transport
There is a good, signed asphalt road off the main road from Sofia to the southern border checkpoint of Kulata that passes through the town of Rila and then leads straight to the monastery’s gates.

History of the monastery:
The exact date of the establishment of Rozhen Monastery is not known, but according to annals, the name of the monastery was mentioned for the first time in a Greek manuscript which dated back to the 13th century. At that time Melnik region was ruled by despot Slav, a nephew of Bulgarian king Caloyan (1197-1297). This is the reason why it is believed that Rozhen Monastery was built despot Slav during 12th or 13th century. It is the only monastery in Bulgaria which was restored in the first centuries of Ottoman rule and has survived to the present day.
Rozhen Monastery was mentioned again in a manuscript of the abbot Cosma in 1551. The original monastery’s complex had been destroyed by fire and plundered several times, so the present day appearance of this old holy cloister dates back to 16th century. The main church, the dining room and several residential buildings date back to the same period as well.
Rozhen Monastery was rebuilt in the beginning of 18th century while the main church was renovated in 1732. The heyday of the monastery was in 19th century when it was served as a regional spiritual centre and had possessed numerous lands in the surrounding area.
In the middle of 19th century, Rozhen Monastery has become a shelter for revolutionary activists from the regions. Later on, the monastery has given refuge to the renowned Macedonian revolutionary Qne Sandanski who was buried nearby.

thanks Jemoflight. i'm glad you got a chance to take 'a peek' before I posted the reveal. i try to put them up regularly, but travel alot and well, time slips away.......

but stay tuned for the next peek--should be posted tonight or tomorrow!!! :D

celticnoodle

New Peek! September 17, 2010

Okay, here is the newest 'peek' to work on. not as many pics, but see what you can get on these pics

Attachments

• picture one for the peek septemeber seventeen.jpg
    picture one for the peek septemeber seventeen.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 78
  • picture 2 of peek for september seventeenth.jpg
    picture 2 of peek for september seventeenth.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 71
  • picture 4 for peek september seventeen.jpg
    picture 4 for peek september seventeen.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 71

astroandtarot

celticnoodle said:
Okay, here is the newest 'peek' to work on. not as many pics, but see what you can get on these pics

i dont know why , i felt sick and nausia when i saw these pics.
Sad /depressed feeling ..
The woman in the pic ..its like she cried and cried .
i also felt anxiety and not able to fully catch my breath when i looked at the bedroom pics.

hopena

I think she looks a little mischievous.

Rosanne

Those rooms look incredibly unlived in. Guest House?
The women looks like a reproduction picture- not an old one.
..or it is the original owner of the guest house.
The House is not the original placing of the furniture as the carpet is a 1950?'s.
The plastic rubbish bin is exactly as you would see in a guest house.
Stage set. Lovely linen by the way.
~Rosanne
There is a Dove picture on the wall.
Peaceful place- just right for a lady's weekend away. Take your quilting :D

cronegoddess54

?

Just happened to be lurking and ran across this post. Actually I don't know what we are suppose to do tell you what we pick up on the photos? For one this seems sad to me also.....As if this woman was very ill and lay in that bed until the end. I don't know....what does the train have to do with it? Is the railroad envolved? I keep seeing tracks of railroad..
CG

mingbop

I posted on this - or thought I did !! It isnt here :( I got bald men who were happy and who liked being there. That was the pic with the long table in the middle. I didnt get Bulgaria though LOL!

nyx77

have i been seeing things? lol

Hello again all,, umm.... I know my kids etc can drive me somewhat loopy but I'm sure I saw the latest pics for most recent peek posted under something different and now I can't seem to find it anywhere, have I gone mad? : ) shall I post my *thoughts* on most recent peek here? Blessed be! Nyx.

Queeny

Marie or Mary?
Is she the daughter of a famous man? or he was in his time?
I'm seeing lots of books with ink on the paper, was she a writer or was there a book wrote about her.

She had at least 1 child, female, possibly died at birth or she died giving birth, i can see her with a pregnant stomach and in a lot of pain (childbirth is painful yeah but she looks extremely in pain lol)

The name George?
Wuthering heights? Hearing the name Heathcliff lol but of course he is fictional character.
I feel she was trapped in her life or even arrested, i can see her with her wrists strapped together.

I'm also seeing a nurse, not sure whether this was her or somebody,connected to her.
the house is open to the public now, it could even be some type of town hall, which ties into the famous father, he must of been in some kind of parliament.