direction of Man/Woman Card???

alyna

I was going through the book "the game of destiny" and i read this about direction of significator cards:

According to old lenormand decks, the direction in which they look is the direction for reading future and the cards to their back are the past cards. The Man card faces towards right while the woman car faces towards left.

This changes things considerably for me, because in my deck too, this is the case, while for me i have been reading the cards to right as my future cards :s

have you guys been considering it all along? then i have to revive many things in my GT

andybc

I was going through the book "the game of destiny" and i read this about direction of significator cards:

According to old lenormand decks, the direction in which they look is the direction for reading future and the cards to their back are the past cards. The Man card faces towards right while the woman car faces towards left.

This changes things considerably for me, because in my deck too, this is the case, while for me i have been reading the cards to right as my future cards :s

have you guys been considering it all along? then i have to revive many things in my GT

Alyna:

Honestly, this doesn’t change your readings at all. You don’t need to review any readings you’ve already done. As you didn’t mentally designate this at the time of the reading, going back and reviewing old ones in such a way will unlikely yield anything other than confusion.

Traditionally, some Lenormand readers would have designated the direction that the Gentleman and Lady faced to be what laid ahead. Contrary to Mario dos Ventos says in his book, this wasn’t the universal practise. My aunt did as I mentioned on the tableau thread. My great-grandmother didn’t. I experimented but found the past was always the left, the future the right, for me.

TBH I’ve always been sceptical of the concept. Many readers who do use the direction of cards 28/29 to denote the past and future will still regard the Key falling on the left to denote a divorce, even if this is the woman’s future. Surely all cards should be reversed as appropriate i.e. for a woman the left would be the right? But it never seems the way. Only the dividing line. So I don't see any merit personally.

In addition, not all Lenormand decks have a man facing the right, or a woman the left (In the French Cartomancy deck they both face one way); just as the Clouds aren’t always divided in the same (or at all). I think the way the images face each other to be more important than what is the past and what is the future.

As far as I can tell: the reason the man and the woman face different sides is so they can interact rather than the past and the future.

I think Mario dos Ventos’ book to be quite poor Alyna. I would never recommend it. Others may feel differently.

Experiment with the method of direction, but don’t feel you need to do it. I would also, if you do try it, recommend you do it on fresh new readings so the intention is there. Try it for a week or so. If your readings are better and more accurate then it works for you.

214red

I must admit to liking this book and his special part about spiritual meanings is good. I think that i wouldnt bother to redo your current GT, perhaps try it in your next GT as i think GTs are not stupid they will show you want you need to know either way, also look at the end of the month and see if the direction matters.

I do find the direction of the man/lady figures can matter, and other times it doesnt, it depends on the feel of the reading

andybc

I must admit to liking this book and his special part about spiritual meanings is good. I think that i wouldnt bother to redo your current GT, perhaps try it in your next GT as i think GTs are not stupid they will show you want you need to know either way, also look at the end of the month and see if the direction matters.

I do find the direction of the man/lady figures can matter, and other times it doesnt, it depends on the feel of the reading

I just wanted to add that whilist I don't believe the direction controls which side is past, I do believe the way cards look can/often is important.

autumn star

Does anyone know the significance of the man and woman being side by side? I did a grand tablau for november and these cards were together.

214red

there were a few debates on this, often i find it depends on if they are looking at each other, if they are back to back i think the meaning is completely different

alyna

Does anyone know the significance of the man and woman being side by side? I did a grand tablau for november and these cards were together.

I once did a GT about me and "the one" and we were side by side, but not facing each other, which showed me that we havn't met yet, but he is close by

besides in my GT for oct, he was right under woman card, means he was someone in my line of sight, and it turned out to be exactly that way

read the cards which come after you and him, these are the things you will be doing together

for me it was woman+man+ship+child

we definitely moved towards a new beginning in Oct!

andybc

there were a few debates on this, often i find it depends on if they are looking at each other, if they are back to back i think the meaning is completely different

I once did a GT about me and "the one" and we were side by side, but not facing each other, which showed me that we havn't met yet, but he is close by

besides in my GT for oct, he was right under woman card, means he was someone in my line of sight, and it turned out to be exactly that way

read the cards which come after you and him, these are the things you will be doing together

for me it was woman+man+ship+child

we definitely moved towards a new beginning in Oct!

I was taught that it was important, and my great-grandmother believed that that was the reason they were depicted facing different ways. She never flipped the past and future with the Lady, in contrast to her sister who was more au fait with the small Lenormand.

For me the Lady and Gentleman’s interaction is quite important: but it’s also important to remember that they can face each other, and have their back to each other, in the same row and also diagonally. If they’re in the same column it’s slightly different. In addition cards in between them, whether they are horizontally, vertically or diagonally can explain the dynamic. These cards ‘tie them’ together.

When they face each other it tends to be more harmonious and the querent is able to notice the person; when their backs are to other it does tend to indicate either they is a lack of harmony or the person is more out of sight/left their life. If you look at the Red/Blue Owl decks and put the Gentleman and Lady together, they are interacting – the backgrounds match up to show the same landscaped garden. It shows they are ‘talking’ or ‘seeing each other’, so when their back to back, he’s not seeing her and she’s not seeing him. The ‘why’ is best described by cards in between them – if nothing then it tends to rely on gut instinct.

If they’re in the same column, it indicates one is having influence over (if above) or is under the influence (if below) of the querent.

autumn star

Thanks for the interesting answers :) I used the Oracle Lenormand by LS for the reading and they were side by side, in this deck I believe they are mostly looking forwards but have a slight lean in towards each other. The backgrounds match up though. I will post my tablau soon and my thoughts on it :)