Red Owl Question

SixDegrees

Hi All-

Though tarot is my passion, I've been dabbling with Lenormand over the last couple of years...usually when I want straight fortune-telling rather than quiet introspection. I mostly use the Art Nouveau oracle, but the other day I came across a used Lenormand deck for what seemed like a good price, so I swooped it up. I'm scratching my head over it now because I can't find clear information about it. It comes in a Red Owl box, but it has English verses and gilded corners. Does anyone have any idea about its rarity, or where I might find more information about it? Thanks!

SixDegrees

Yes, I have seen that thread. While there is some helpful info, people seemed confused there as well, so I was wondering if a new thread might catch the attention of someone who had a clearer answer.

Lillie

It sounds like one I have.

They were published in about 1970 and the box says they were a special edition for time life books, printed by Muller with a booklet by Kaplan.

I had two copies, one in a pale red box, one in a pale blue but the cards in both were identical, blue backs with an owl, english poems, gilded corners.

Nice little cards.

SixDegrees

Thanks for the info, Lillie! Mine doesn't say printed for Time Life, but this is an interesting clue. :)

IheartTarot

SixDegrees said:
the other day I came across a used Lenormand deck for what seemed like a good price, so I swooped it up. I'm scratching my head over it now because I can't find clear information about it. It comes in a Red Owl box, but it has English verses and gilded corners. Does anyone have any idea about its rarity, or where I might find more information about it? Thanks!

It is OOP, there are some details here and here.

You can find them on ebay sometimes.

The current in print version of the "blue owl" has more or less the same images but no gilded edges and has playing card insets instead of verses. It is available here.

Le Fanu

Lillie said:
It sounds like one I have.

They were published in about 1970 and the box says they were a special edition for time life books, printed by Muller with a booklet by Kaplan.

I had two copies, one in a pale red box, one in a pale blue but the cards in both were identical, blue backs with an owl, english poems, gilded corners.

Nice little cards.
I have one too. It came as a free gift with the receipt of a book-club book called "Magic & Mysteries" (cerca 1983?) Mine is in a pale box like Lillie's, gilt corners, but the cards are Red Owl.

The verses are a bit twee and distracting but I remember at the time, new to Lenormands, I found them enormously helpful!

SixDegrees

Oh, thank you for the information IheartTarot and Le Fanu!

Bhavana

I found this little deck at the flea market this morning...a seller had a huge table of baseball cards, playing cards, all kinds of cards - I asked him if he had any tarot cards, just on a whim, because although I am always looking for them, I never really ask people. Lo and behold, he said he did and then dug these out of the back of his car.. not exactly tarot but I was happy anyway.

The cards are in very decent shape, but there is no box and no info or dates anywhere on the cards. It looks like there is some gold gilding on the corners. I paid $3.

What I can't seem to find out is if they are still being printed, some sites say yes, some say no..does anyone know or have a link with the correct information about these decks?

Attachments

• red owl cards 001.jpg
    red owl cards 001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 119

IheartTarot

I found this little deck at the flea market this morning...a seller had a huge table of baseball cards, playing cards, all kinds of cards - I asked him if he had any tarot cards, just on a whim, because although I am always looking for them, I never really ask people. Lo and behold, he said he did and then dug these out of the back of his car.. not exactly tarot but I was happy anyway.

The cards are in very decent shape, but there is no box and no info or dates anywhere on the cards. It looks like there is some gold gilding on the corners. I paid $3.

What I can't seem to find out is if they are still being printed, some sites say yes, some say no..does anyone know or have a link with the correct information about these decks?

That particular version that you have (English verses, red owl backs, gilt edges) is not in print, the closest you will find in print is this one listed on amazon with English verses and blue owl backs.