Red Owl Question

Bhavana

The Time Life book club had a special offer, if you ordered the first volume in their Enchanted World series (Wizards & Witches) you got a free Lenormand deck. I ordered it but my parents wouldn't let me buy the whole set so I had to return it but could keep the Lenormand. I must have done it twice as I have two sets! :D I still wish they'd let me buy the whole series, it looked really good. I've been carrying that anger all these years. LOL

Attached are the covers of the first few volumes. They are listed as being published in March 1984 but I thought it was before then.

I remember those books - and they had them for every different occult topic. I see them occasionally at second hand stores.

:)
Yay for gilt corners!

ETA.
:( They look really good.
Shame on your parents!

Lillie, thanks for taking the time to scan all of that for me!!! I really appreciate it. I could even cut out the scans of the box and paste them onto a playing card box...(yeah, I've got a little too much spare time on my hands...!)

So, the gilt corners are indicative of the really old versions of this deck? Mine has them, though they are faded a bit.

Lillie

:)

You're welcome.

It's an interesting spread in the booklet. And as the cards are so small it's possible to lay them all out together like that.

I don't know enough to say that only those had the gilt corners. Maybe someone with more expertise could tell you that.

You can get Lenormands that are way older than these. I had a set from the 30's, but they had the playing card inserts rather than the poems, and they used the same design as the cigarette card sets.
I have to say I like the poems better, though not everyone would agree with me.

I really like these 70s cards. The texture of the card is nice, not too laminated, and the gilt corners are lovely.

There is an unopened set on ebay right now for more than £20. Though they do come up cheaper.
But your $3 is a great price for them. :)

DownUnderNZer

Blue Owl

I have the BLUE OWL (5 boxes still 3 or 4 unopened) of the ones with the court card images inside some of the cards...no gilded corners. I really like the ones they have now with the verses....thanks to Lilly's fantastic photos...and I was told they were reprinting that style after discontinuing them for 10 years or more and now I can see that!. :) I think I will be buying some more...although I think I want to stock up on more Mysticals as well as buy at least one new oracle deck. Plan in progress...

I was told to stay away from the RED OWL when I first started learning the GT layout as the poetry/verses threw people off when learning. However, do not see why I cant have the poetry/verses now :D

Lillie

The blue owl with the poems is being reprinted now. TarotHeart mentioned that here in an earlier post.

Make sure you are getting the ones with the poems in your own language. I know that they come in a few different languages.

As for learning, everyone learns in different ways, and what works for one person does not work for another. I think we are all different like that.

Richard

......Is it the verse inserts or playing card inserts that are harder to find now? Or are they both easily available?......
My understanding is that the usual Blue Owl sold in America is the one with English verses. That's the one sold by Amazon.com. The version with playing card inserts is more common in Europe. I got the playing card version from Book Depository.

DownUnderNZer

My understanding is that the usual Blue Owl sold in America is the one with English verses. That's the one sold by Amazon.com. The version with playing card inserts is more common in Europe. I got the playing card version from Book Depository.

I got mine in Japan and then from NZ....same type...but these verse/poetry ones seem interesting.

Unreal thing about the decks that I have used, however, is that the cards only seem to stay good for 3 to 6 months then do not shuffle so well, collect muck and I do not know why it is with these ones except that they are not glossy like the tarot, so maybe are not well made in comparison. Smaller, flimsier and not coated.

I need to STOCK UP on more, but I will get one with the verses/poetry and maybe consider changing over to the MYSTICAL. Am looking at adding another Oracle deck to my humble collection as well...still reeling in awe of the 110 decks someone has...wow! :)