Lenormand Overload?

tarotbear

Not wishing to trash Lenormands here, but has there been a recent over-resurgence of them - like - 'EVERYONE AND THEIR BROTHER IS KNOCKING OUT LENORMANDS'! :bugeyed:

Between 'The Petite Lenormand' "the Humungous Lenormand" 'The Samhain Lenormand' "the Yuletide Lenormand" 'The Tuesday Morning Lenormand' "The mid-Friday Afternoon Lenormand" 'The I'm Late for Work Lenormand' 'My Period is Late Lenormand' and "The I Hate My Mother-In-Law Lenormand" - can we say 'a tad bit overdone' ??? :confused:

NOT that I am saying there are NOT a lot of frivolous Tarot decks out there ... but every time I go to check TGC there must be two more Lenormands ..... or is it because they have fewer cards that it makes them easy to do?

greatdane

Perhaps Lenormands are just catching up :)

I find many more frivolous tarot decks than I find Lenormands. Perhaps that is because images tend to be more consistent on Lenormand decks than tarot. So, no, not for me, TB. I am not on Lenormand overload. If anything, I've felt tarot overload on many of the decks that have come out renaming suits, changing so much that they seemed more like oracles than tarot decks. Perhaps it's also because I've seen more than a few Lenormands that are so well done. I find it refreshing to see Lenormands coming out so often, because it's refreshing as opposed to seeing so many trying to come up with a novelty tarot deck or another following along theme lines for tarot.
I'm not saying I won't reach a saturation point, but as of now, so much coming out from Lenormand creators seems so good. When I start seeing Pokemon Lenormand, I'll have reached my saturation point... I do agree a lot more are coming out and part of that MAY well be they are easier to do with less cards. I also use Lenormand for reading for others a lot more than I use tarot and I know in 2014 I will have more Lenormand buys than tarot.

Lee

I think it's great. More interest among readers means more interesting decks and thoughtful books, which means more choice, which stimulates more interest, etc.

Also, the upsurge in interest has resulted in what's becoming a standard practice of including extra Man and Woman cards for same-sex relationships, which is certainly a good thing IMHO.

So I say, bring it on! :)

Le Fanu

I find many more frivolous tarot decks than I find Lenormands.
That's because Lenormands are only now just cranking up. Tarot was just tarot for centuries before it became Celtic/Afro/Fairy/Steampunk/Vampire/ etc etc.

While Lenormand also has a history, it has gone for the novelty factor big time during the short period of its current upsurge.

I adore Lenormands and I'm already bored. Actually not even bored, pained. Enough. Really. Very few are special.

I like the simple ones. Give me the symbol and nothing else. That's why the historic ones are the best for me. The embellished ones exasperate me.

Part of the problem is that anyone can draw an anchor but not everyone can draw a Hermit, which is why Lenormand is attracting the home-made etsy crowd looking for extra funds, and why more people are creating Lenormand decks left, right & centre than tarot.

I saw one the other day which I genuinely thought was a joke. The title! The theme! I shalln't mention it here because I might hurt someone's feeling but it was the most pointless, unnecessary theme and symbolised everything that has gone wrong with Lenormands... Some work fabulously though; Melissa's Sibyl doesn't feel contrived at all. It feels very fresh and clever. Almost like sidestepping Lenormand and creating something else instead which has a mood of its own.

Still, each to their own. I doubt anyone's becoming a millionaire creating Lenormand decks and it keeps people busy but facebook is becoming a mire of "buy me, buy me, buy me" Lenormand decks right now.

Mycroft

I can quite easily see the;
'My Period is Late Lenormand'
becoming the 'She-Dracula Goddess Leno-Oracle of The Blood-Red Moon' so we probably shouldn't put ideas in their heads.
Melissa's Sibyl doesn't feel contrived at all. It feels very fresh and clever. Almost like sidestepping Lenormand and creating something else instead which has a mood of its own.
For me, Melissa's decks stand apart because unlike far too many of the others, she has both a philosophy and a methodology underpinning her choice of images.

greatdane

When the multi-themed decks come in....

I will reach my limit for Lenormands, I'm sure. But recently, there have been several I like very much and most ARE images from older decks or paintings. How can we forget Berenika? I love my Lilac and Cherry Twilight and the Mysteries of the Old Castle. The Vintage German by seven stars I find fabulous. Even the inexpensive and basic Lenormand Oracle which has the same images as seven stars Vintage German I enjoy using a lot. I can't wait for the Flonz Victorian Lenormand. Again, it's simple and basic. Then there's the Samhain which is based mainly on the old images, but in a swamp at midnight vibe :). So I don't know if people are seeking out and finding a lot more Lenormands than I am, but most of the ones I mentioned are relatively new to the market. Maybe old images, but revamped by deck designers a bit. I have seen a lot of ATers swooning over many of the above, so I don't think it's quite hit the point of there can't possibly be another great Lenormand created. All this said, it's not like I have a ton of Lenormands or want a ton more, but as long as I see ones like the Flonz Victorian being created, I'm probably going to be there!

shadowdancer

I do see both sides of this for sure. We are in the age of internet and thus the fact networking and advertising is easy, especially with the likes of facebook. So any new deck can be touted quickly and easily, and if it is posted on relevant forums cannot do anything other than garner some interest, even if only from a few.

Tie that in with a few variables:
*** Access to print your own sites that are actually easy to use, and can produce some quality cards.
*** Less cards in the deck, which means it is quicker to produce a Lenormand deck.
*** Less system knowledge needed. I mean, at the end of the day an anchor is an anchor. A ship is a ship. So newbies and experienced alike are also able to create a deck and does not lessen the fact it is a readable Lenormand deck.
*** It is the latest 'in thing' and is part of a rapidly expanding market, both for decks and in those who are eager to learn the system. I just find it very telling there is an explosion of decks, but still only a handful of books available that are printed in English.

So on one hand, I feel it is a little bit of a bandwagon. And I too have stopped looking at the latest release, and wondering if I should consider it. I feel like I am in a sweetshop but at the moment, but have gone off the taste of chocolate. It just is not doing anything for me. (If that makes sense).

Yet on the other hand, I do agree with Lee. It opens us up to some decks that are actually rather good. And also allows the modern approach to cater for modern trends, citing the extra male/female cards as an example. Whereas we saw the explosion of tarot decks take a few decades, it seems Lenormand is following the path of electronic gadgets - it is expanding and growing at a pace that I just can't keep up with. And as I have never purchased a cell phone (all 3 of my mobile phones have been hand-me-downs of some vintage) I really do not feel I want to be part of that journey.

However, I do wish all the creators all the success for their creations. The style they choose may well resonate with others and they may well make a few sales. I just can't help but think though, whilst the market is a little too saturated for now, there may be others that just get lost in the noise, and may not do as well. Yet the same effort would have been put into their creation. A double edged sword indeed eh.

I did create 2 of my own, but they were one off's to help me with my learning during during those early stages of finding my feet. So I may be part of the problem, but I hope not. Mine are not for sale, never will be and are personal use printed decks. But it did make me realise how easy it would be compared to creating a tarot deck, and that is the main reason I believe the market is being flooded.

I only have one deck on my radar which is on order. Once it arrives I do not see the need to consider any others. My Lenormand collection will be less than 10 (Inclusive of the two I made for myself) and I am more than happy with that. My kid-in-a-sweetshop days are well and truly over :D

Le Fanu

How can we forget Berenika? I love my Lilac and Cherry Twilight and the Mysteries of the Old Castle. The Vintage German by seven stars I find fabulous. Even the inexpensive and basic Lenormand Oracle which has the same images as seven stars Vintage German I enjoy using a lot. I can't wait for the Flonz Victorian Lenormand. Again, it's simple and basic. Then there's the Samhain which is based mainly on the old images, but in a swamp at midnight :)
But these are traditional, well done ones. I wouldn't dismis any of these ones. These are the classy end of the market. Plus the whole two Lord/Lady cards for same sex readings is now an established part of newer Lenormand decks. I can't imagine anyone objecting to that or thinking it's a gimmick. It's not new anymore. It's not that which makes Lenormand feel overloaded at all. It's the theming and scribbling and the general feeling out there that somehow we need another one.

shadowdancer

Le Fanu - I hear ya. I really do. Some of the themes are... a bit... really??!! And there are more than a few that could perhaps be more suited to just being personal projects for the creator. But I also see that by having so much to choose from, there will be something for everybody. Love the colour pink?? There is a Lenormand for you. Like silhouettes? There is a Lenormand for you. Like holiday/seasonal decks? There is a Lenormand for you. I think it will level out at some stage, but we may be in for a bit of a ride in the meantime, with the market being flooded for a wee while longer yet. Bit of a hypermarket feel as opposed to the small 'mom & pop store'.

I think the time I will worry is when Doreen Virtue gets her mitts on the fact this could be another gold mine for her ever expanding empire. When will we see the first Angel based Lenormand, closely followed by regularly released Angel Lenormands 3 months apart?
You know the thing - angels holding an anchor, anchors made out of angels - any permutation you can think of. And if she runs out?? No worries, just change the angel to an Archangel and repeat the spin process.

Now THAT is when we should truly be throwing toys out the pram :D :D Oh and spitting the dummy as well. It would truly be warranted.

DownUnderNZer

Gotta admit that no matter what I buy the Blue Owl & Rider Waite are still my constants.