Which path to follow?

Nemia

Great book tips! Another book that I really liked: To walk a pagan path, by Alaric Albertson. A practical approach again - beekeeping, honoring your ancestors, establishing spiritual places in your house and rituals in your life, finding you own spiritual identity step by step.

In spite of my Christian upbringing, I found myself drawn toward Earth-centered religion on a Pantheist foundation, and like you, don't feel drawn to specific Gods or Goddesses.

I define myself today as oxymoron believer: a Christo-Pagan Pantheist...

Milfoil

Natural magic ;

Aloe on burns (and used as 'plastic skin') and yarrow on deep gashes (I mean DEEP and long * ) works magic (compared to how western medicine treats those).

*Alexander the Great's physicians used to carry yarrow to treat sword and battle axe cuts - we are not talking about a little cut here ... I have used it myself on a cut that needed about 6 stitches (I know, I spent 7 years working in a hospital), results were astounding!

Yes, and it's also called 'Milfoil' for its thousands of leaves. The staunching of blood was what it was best known for but now it is little used. However it has excellent properties for moderating female menstrual flow and a tea of the leaves and flowers is good for 'what ails the female'!

It is an aromatic herb and so can be used in incense mixes.

Ivanna, you may find that your trusty kitchen knife is your athame and your windowsill or mantlepiece becomes your altar. A place of focus where you offer gratitude and love to the Universe. . . . .

What you may find when looking into the craft is that there are lots of different camps which advocate their own version of Witchcraft. From the fluffy, teenagers to the traditionalist and everything in between. To be honest, just do what you feel is right, let the Universe guide you, your gut instinct, dreams, signs and if you feel drawn to plants, then one way which is advocated is to take one plant and spend a year working with it. A whole cycle of the seasons where you observe it growing in nature, keeping a journal of both the mundane and what you feel, sense and are taught by the plant itself. Learn about it from books, online sources etc, try out the teas, make the ointments and compresses, keep the seeds, smell the root and leaves, learn how to store it, use it etc. A year hardly seems long enough.

Eventually you will have a working knowledge of a core of several plants which become close allies. The craft, however, is more than just herbal knowledge, but the ability to access, weave and blend energies beyond the normal perception, plants being just one area of that knowledge.

ivanna

I meant to check this before posting to be sure I answered your post the first time. Herbs are often used for all the above. There are some great books out there too--but I would concentrate on getting books on "Natural Remedies" and making your own home products. Herbs and other food products are almost always involved!

As for meditating, that is also fairly easy to do w/o buying anything special, but if you need some direction for meditating, I'd recommend first trying out a few you tube meditations to find what you like before buying a CD. Though, you can find cheap CDs to help with this.

www.youtube.com

I love to listen to chanting, but I also have quite a few drumming and rattle shamanic cds. It depends on my frame of mind as to what I listen to. I also have quite a few chakra cds that are meditative a8nd helpful and then other meditative cds that are led by some well known shamans and psychics--John Edward, Carolyne Myss, and Alberto Villoldo to name a few. they are also great.

Meditation can also be used to help with spirit contact, if this is what you are want. You can also use your tarot/oracle cards as well. But, I will first caution you to ground and protect yourself, and again all this can be done w/o any actual books but you can also buy some books that will give you some ideas to do this. There are also a lot of threads on here regarding developing your psychic abilities to make contact w/spirits and also about grounding and protection.
Why don't you join in the PTR reading circle next month? We learn to develop and use our psychic abilities while doing a reading for our partner. Its great fun too.

Hi, Celticnoodle,
Thank you so much for your answer, you are very kind.
I would prefer things like meditations, spells, maybe try to contact spirits once grounded and protected, rather than the herbal side. It would be nice to have time to do all, but my time is limited, and most of my free time is used to learn tarot. The herbal side of a witch did not call me yet, so in the meanwhile, I will walk trough another path, but thank you anyway, you were very kind and your answer were very helpful

ivanna

I have three or four books by Christopher Penzack which are pretty good. He does however follow the Gods and Goddesses, if I recall correctly. I don't think he insists within his books that this is the only way, and you may find some good information there. But, the books, while not out of this world in price, can add up if you wish to collect all that are pertaining to what you are interested in. He does however, cover a lot of different things--magic, spells, herbs and spirits, meditations and much more.

I do have a few books by Scott Cunningham too, which are a bit easier to get through. They're not as large a book, and much more affordable as well. He also covers many areas you are wishing to pursue, so he is another to check into, Ivanna.

I also found a nice website about kitchen witchery, that I think I found googling or from pinterest. here is the link- http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/pagantraditions/p/KitchenWitchery.htm.

googling for ideas and also searching on pinterest may give you a lot of great ideas for free too!

Thanks, I took those books and I will have a look right now to this url.

Btw, where can I find those reading circles Prt?

ivanna

Celtic noodles advice is good :)

Some of the 'most reputable' and historic source books on magic (eg. Agrippa) are full of natural magic and remedies, properties of stones plants and stars, etc. - 'natural magic'.

I am sure there is an ocean of books out there that simplify this.

Just tell hubby you are making home products to save money (and maybe go into business one day) ... that should make him more happy than coming home to a kitchen with a large pentagram painted on the floor and finding you worshipping a naked Pan statue at an altar set up on the kitchen sink .

:D :D

Im pretty sure that hubby will tell me inmediatly to sell those products online! The image of the pentagram in the kitchen... :D brilliant.... I will do it if I ever want to divorce him, jajajajajajajaja

ivanna

OMG! ravenest, you are too funny, but CN is right, it's a good idea.

I started out with a notebook when I did research on anything Metaphysical; print outs, note taking, drawings. I pretty much kept it in the order I did research over the years.

It showed me what I am most interested in- how energy works. My focal point now is Crystals, Crystal Healing, Grids, Wands, Sage, a little bit of Astrology, !!!Dowsing!!! my fav! oh and making pendys, Pyramids. I have some new ideas (but looking for the motive to make them!!!). And I have some lentles put aside for a rattle for meditation.

Maybe with you, you could just start out with keeping a notebook on what interests you in the fiel,d that excites you, and then you'll see a pattern of where that would take you. This way you don't have to put a label or name on who you are or what you are doing. Or if you want that, maybe think Shamanism VS witchcraft. What kind of energy is more pure? Like how would you transform your knowledge?

Yes, I have some pendulums here, and a mediumship book, this seems to be the most appealing for me now. I left the pendulum as I decided to focus myself in just one thing, tarot, but now that seems that finally I got all the cards meanings and so on, I would like to read about other things. Maybe mediumship, but not very sure. I find it a bit frightening

ivanna

As others have mentioned, Scott Cunningham has numerous books that sound like what you're looking for. He was Wiccan, but practiced natural magic.

I am a born and raised Catholic, but I've always been interested in natural magic, such as using crystals, candles and elemental spells - not ceremonial magic. I have several of his books; if you look him up you'll find he's written on many subjects.

A few books of his to start with are:
Earth Power - Techniques of Natural Magic
Earth, Air, Fire & Water - More Techniques of Natural Magic
The Magical Household - Spells and Rituals for the Home
Kitchen Witches Companion

I like his writing style; it's very clear and easy to follow. Good luck! :)

Thank you! Your list was nice, I think this could be what I am looking for :)

ivanna

Great post and great advice, Daniel. :)

:laugh: yeah, and I am a good one! ;)

I grew up on a catholic family, but I really never believed many parts of the story, so I left it and for many years I considered myself an agnostic person.
After my grandad passed away, I felt a big change on me, dont ask me why, because I dont know, maybe he is behind this change.

Btw, it seems that you know tons about mediumship. If you can recommend me any book about it, will be nice :)

celticnoodle

Hi, Celticnoodle,
Thank you so much for your answer, you are very kind.
I would prefer things like meditations, spells, maybe try to contact spirits once grounded and protected, rather than the herbal side. It would be nice to have time to do all, but my time is limited, and most of my free time is used to learn tarot. The herbal side of a witch did not call me yet, so in the meanwhile, I will walk trough another path, but thank you anyway, you were very kind and your answer were very helpful

Well, since you grew up Catholic and probably know a lot of the Catholic prayers, you can do like I do--meditate on the rosary or other prayers. I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore--but always loved the rosary prayer and I meditate on that. I grew up in a psychic-medium household and my maternal family were all psychic mediums. So, I grew up seeing spirits all the time--just not realizing what it meant to me till much later in life. As a child, I also thought it was normal to see spirits. When I was old enough to realize it was not--then I figured I only saw the spirits that were seeking out my psychic-medium mother. :laugh: took me awhile to realize that I also had the ability and began to develop it. But, really, you do not need to meditate on prayers at all. Just meditation alone is good--or meditating on any prayer.

Another great way to practice this skill is to hold a picture of one of your beloved departed family or friends and talk to them -even silently. Ask them to come to you. But, also just talk to them all the time where ever you are! When I travel alone a long distance, I often get into my car and say, "Okay dad, plant yourself in the seat next to me, and watch over and protect me while on my travels, please! and make room for Aunt M too!" And, though I didn't always feel their presence, I know they are with me.
Also, share with them what is going on in your life--good and bad. Talk to them. Ask for their guidance and their advice. Before you know it, they'll come to you in your dreams or in your meditation or perhaps just appear to you--but they will never frighten you.

As you get better with this ability, you may want to sit somewhere and try to read for a friend. try this in your home and close to your kitchen or bathroom. Turn your water spicket in the sink or tub or shower on, and invite the spirits to come in. Spirits need energy to travel to you--and water, just like electricity or batteries in any device will help bring them to you. (Which is why my cell phone often acts up and my land phone would always go dead when I use to host psychic medium circles). :laugh:

It may take you some time to get any spirit to visit you--but don't despair. Just be patient. They will come to you--when they feel you are ready. And, btw, when their birthday, anniversary of their wedding or death come up, remember them and tell them you are thinking of them -- they will know this and appreciate it and it just may make them come to you faster and easier!

Thanks, I took those books and I will have a look right now to this url.

Btw, where can I find those reading circles Prt?

This is a sign up list for the Psychic Tarot Reading Circle. Just put your name here via a post, asking to be PM'd when the next one is posted. Moonbear or Kitichi will PM you the link and let you know when it is open again.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=181353

This thread below is the thread for the current one going on. You will see the 'rules' and also will find the links to the exchanges between the partners I assigned. just click on each partner link and read their exchange. Some may not yet be finished, as it ends in a few more days--but you'll get a feel for what its all about. :)

The original thread started here:http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=213572

I grew up on a catholic family, but I really never believed many parts of the story, so I left it and for many years I considered myself an agnostic person.
After my grandad passed away, I felt a big change on me, dont ask me why, because I dont know, maybe he is behind this change.

Btw, it seems that you know tons about mediumship. If you can recommend me any book about it, will be nice :)

Yeah, same here. Born and raised in a Catholic family, but the faith right from the get go always bothered me. I remember being in first or second grade and trying hard to argue the point with Sister (a nun) that if God was an all loving and forgiving God, then confession to the priest wasn't really necessary, as long as you apologized when you did someone wrong. I never quite understood why you had to confess sins. :rolleyes:
As a result, I often got the ruler or the paddle across my knuckles or rear end. :(

Also, when they told my older sister that our baby sister would not go to heaven because she was not bapitzed in a church before she died, I told my sister the nuns were nuts and not to pay any attention to them. (Yes, I got another spanking again for that one too, but I still didn't change my mind about Sister being nuts!)

however, I played the game and went to Mass, because I was more afraid of the wrath of mom and dad then the wrath of Sister, Father or God. :D

as for books, any book talking about mediumship is a good way to start. including those that only speaks of the mediums experience of bringing through spirits. It will show you that they are not anything to be afraid of.

Our loved ones, btw, are ALWAYS around us. I truly believe this. I've walked with spirits both in heaven and also on earth--sometimes in other countries from where I was doing the reading. I've had spirits come to me and seek me out to deliver messages to their loved ones. I've helped spirits to cross over, including my own father. Its a beautiful experience, that words just cannot explain.

So read everything you can get ahold of, Ivanna, and you'll see that the majority of those books will tell you the same thing I just did here.

Some authors to look for:

John Edward (notice, it is "Edward", not "Edwards" with the 's')
George Anderson, James Van Praagh, Allison Dubois, and there are many more.

btw, many of our Catholic Saints had the gift. Try looking for books speaking of Padre Pio (also a great healer!), Saint Theresa the Little Flower--(I have a great story about her giving my aunt/cousin a gift!), and many, many more.

John Edward also has some dvds and tapes on how to develop your psychic abilities, but the best books I have come across are by Debra Lynn Katz and are called:

1. You Are Psychic
and
2. Extraordinary Psychic

I highly recommend these two books, which I find to be the best two on this subject.

If you have any questions about mediumship, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to answer you to the best of my ability. I have helped many people to develop their psychic and psychic - medium abilities and will be happy to help you too if have questions. I no longer host medium workshops now, unfortunately. I so miss it! If you can ever find one to join in on--do so-no matter what your ability is--as this will also help you to develop.

Its a wonderful gift to have and share with others. I wish you much luck and hope that you will soon find this out for yourself. Enjoy the path, Ivanna!

ivanna

Hi Celticnoodle,
FInally I found some time to answer you.
Is casuality, yesterday I was talking with some friends about the catholic confesion, I always found it silly. Why do you have to confess trough a priest if you have a direct line with the boss. :D
I started to question many things about the catholic religion, and this made me leave it. I do not like to pray. I do not feel those "old fashioned" prayers means much for me.. too arcaic language, I never felt conected to this. Maybe because I do not believe that the God of the catholics is the right and the only one.

I should be amazing to grew up with your family. I never ever felt something "strange". I have the same 6th sense as a brick :D

Thank you for the links for the PTRC, I will have a look and maybe try it the next month.

Im really gratefull for your advices. I will take note on my journal. I bought today the book Extraordinary Psychic, I found it on Kobo at a very affordable price and seems to be what I need.

Thank you sooo much CelticNoodle, your answer was really really helpful. I'm glad to have found this forum with so many kind people offering help.

Blessings.