Combinations + Sentences?

Lil Red

I've been think this for a while, but I understand that in lenormand you need to pick a school of thought. So, the meanings you need to basically memorize it instead of making your own lenormand meanings, right? If so, is it the same way as combination?

Combinations I don't really much understand well. I just try to put the sentence by doing noun + adjective. Is that the way to go?

I got to admit, but how do you form a sentence? I always get stuck in there and I sometimes use the lenormand as an oracle. I know that is not the way to go, but I'm stuck in there.

The parts that I do understand with the lenormand are the meanings I memorize thanks to Doonahleigh videos. The other thing I know are the context and the yes and no questions. I do know the Tower combos (Tower + Book = Library :joke: )

If anyone can help me there I will really appreciate it.

andybc

I've been think this for a while, but I understand that in lenormand you need to pick a school of thought. So, the meanings you need to basically memorize it instead of making your own lenormand meanings, right? If so, is it the same way as combination?

Combinations I don't really much understand well. I just try to put the sentence by doing noun + adjective. Is that the way to go?

I got to admit, but how do you form a sentence? I always get stuck in there and I sometimes use the lenormand as an oracle. I know that is not the way to go, but I'm stuck in there.

The parts that I do understand with the lenormand are the meanings I memorize thanks to Doonahleigh videos. The other thing I know are the context and the yes and no questions. I do know the Tower combos (Tower + Book = Library :joke: )

If anyone can help me there I will really appreciate it.

The noun and adjective analogy is just that, a parallel used to explain the process of combinations i.e. that the card to the left is explained by the one to the right. Using your example of the High Tower and Book:

High Tower symbolises, primarily, longevity and age. The Book symbolises secrets.

So together this could be 'someone is keeping their age undisclosed', or 'there is a very old secret;, and the need to wait for information to be given (the Book, traditionally, always came with a warning to tread carefully).

Like the ideas of schools and traditions (there is no French tradition any more than German), the noun/adjective has been exaggerated.

Lil Red

I did not know that the noun + adjective has been exaggerated since that was the method I have been using. So the school of thought does not really matter than since there are basically meaning the same thing or close to it, right?

andybc

I did not know that the noun + adjective has been exaggerated since that was the method I have been using. So the school of thought does not really matter than since there are basically meaning the same thing or close to it, right?

I used the noun and adjective with my students, but I always stressed it was an analogy for explanatory purposes. Once you know how to string two, three, four and five cards together you can drop it. It's too rigid for long-term use and some combinations (only a few) don't change if the order is different.

The idea of “schools” has been heavily exaggerated by Anglo-readers. It seems to derive from a statement made by Serena Power concerning ‘school of thought’ when she said her site’s meanings came from a Dutch forum not French.

What is true is that in certain countries certain ideas became popularised by books post-1980s.

For instance, the Fox as ‘a work card’ is often taken as a marker of ‘French’ Lenormand, but is actually is more evident in parts of Belgium. In Belgium, and France a horrible text, Van den vos Reynaerde, was a very popular and that - along with the distrust your associates - is where the association comes from (as the Fox has/had nothing to do with employment).

Belgium has two official languages – Dutch and French – and the literature in French has proven influential in France and influenced the few books there. At the same time, in Germany, you can still see some differences from when it was East and West.

But there is no national consensus in Lenormand, in any country.