Doing Readings On Fictional Characters

shadowdancer

This thread was split from Coffin Talk

Okay, I have read Rana's book and feel renewed enthusiasm for readings. Only one previous GT conducted, and that was for myself looking at a 3 month period. Makes it difficult to get a handle on whether my thoughts fit or not, until time starts to pass. Add the fact I felt I had to use every single step / system, so as to absolutely wring the thing dry - I didn't really enjoy the process.

I have done ' for fun ' tarot readings for historical, fictional or TV/film characters and found them accurate and enlightening. In fact, I still do them on occasion just to remind myself of the value of a 3 card reading. So is there any reason why I could not use a GT to look at such a character?? I somehow think not - as long as I clearly state the question or purpose of the GT as I shuffle. The exercise is for fun but the procedure will be done with the same seriousness as would normally be given to a GT. So, my task is set for the next few days

I have a choice between a) Harry Potter b) Bella Swan, c) John Watson, d) Frodo Baggins having read every one of the books with these characters, as well as watching the films/TV series. Hopefully with enough to get a LOT from a GT.

So, if you were going to do the same exercise, who would you read for, and for what time period for that person/character?

Glass Owl

ShadowDancer said:
I have done ' for fun ' tarot readings for historical, fictional or TV/film characters and found them accurate and enlightening. In fact, I still do them on occasion just to remind myself of the value of a 3 card reading. So is there any reason why I could not use a GT to look at such a character?? I somehow think not - as long as I clearly state the question or purpose of the GT as I shuffle. The exercise is for fun but the procedure will be done with the same seriousness as would normally be given to a GT. So, my task is set for the next few days

I have a choice between a) Harry Potter b) Bella Swan, c) John Watson, d) Frodo Baggins having read every one of the books with these characters, as well as watching the films/TV series. Hopefully with enough to get a LOT from a GT.

So, if you were going to do the same exercise, who would you read for, and for what time period for that person/character?

Donnaleigh has posted up some 3x3 box spreads for characters and celebrities . She has presented some of them to other readers and then they had to guess whom the reading was for as well. The Box spread, according to Rana, "operates like a mini tableau, giving a meaty look at the bigger forces at work." So, depending how much information you want to examine, what character/work you are dealing with, etc I think it could be a good exercise for a 3x3 and/or GT.

You could start at the beginning of the work and do a GT for a character, what is going to happen to this character in this series.

You could do a 3x3 box spread before the start of a book, asking what is going to happen in the upcoming book. I did that before the start of a book and it was really insightful. I also did one using the author as my focus.

Given the fact that the question is so important, I would really be careful to decide which source you want to look at - the books or movies - as they have their differences as well as what points in the series time line.

Lil Red

I had not done any readings using fictional characters yet but I definitely want to do one on Edward Cullen instead of Bella Swam cause I think Edward would be an interesting figure to read about. I do not know how to do the Grand Tableau, but I can do a 3x3 box square.
Now to pick out my favorite fiction characters to do a reading about them.

P.S. Sorry for my grammar I'm doing this over my phone since my computer is not working at the moment.

Lil Red

Hi Glass Owl,
I read your post, but I do not understand what you are trying to say about:
Be careful to decide which source you want to look at - the books or the movies - as they have their differences as well as what points in the series time line
Can you please explain it to me since I feel a bit lost in here. I would really appreciate it, thank you. :)

shadowdancer

I am using her step by step guide for only my 2nd GT - a reading for John Watson from the BBC series of Sherlock.

So glad I did it after watching. They were gripping and spoilers would have ruined the viewing experience.

Dog in house of Fish threw me (Dog being faithful friend Sherlock) until I read her key words again for fish. One being consultant. House position related to self employment.
He is a consultant detective.

Still got the steps to go through for Sherlock and his wife Mary, but has all been good so far. No head scratching, but I appreciate hindsight comes into play here. However, all the key words and phrases still matched the card as well as the story lines so I am a very happy bunny.

Lil Red

Hi everyone,
I got a question when doing readings for fictional characters and the book. Let say I had not read Cinderella and would like to do a lenormand reading for that book. How do I form the question to know about the plot? Also, how do I form the question to know about Cinderella herself? I know that I should not use "should" since that is basically asking a yes or no answer.

Can the question be:
What is the plot of Cinderella?
What are Cinderella characteristic/traits?
Where does the story take place?
What should I be in the lookout when reading the book?

Or is there another way to phase my question better?

shadowdancer

Hi Lil Red

I think I understood what Glass Owl meant. I have to be specific with the question and whether it relates to a book, TV series or film. Otherwise it is a HUGE subject area and would be a bit like asking for a GT to look at a life time. It would be unworkable.

I focussed on the BBC TV series, and focussed on series 3. I asked for the reading to span a time from 2 years after Sherlock's death, looking 6 months ahead from that point. I know it covers the storylines for series 3 :)

Same with Harry Potter. I would focus on one academic year - or in effect one single book or film. But would specify which.

Hope that helps.

Davina

With regards Cinderella, you have raised a good point. Is it the plot you want to know? If so, is it the story version penned by the Brothers Grimm? Or the film version made by the Disney corporation? I suspect they would be very different. Also, would you do two different spreads for a) the plot and b) character/description of Cinderella?

I think I would do that... maybe a mini GT of sorts for the plot, and a linear selection of cards for the description of Cinderella herself. I have not done that yet, but remember writing some notes on it as to how many cards etc.

Lil Red

Thank you shadowdancer for answering my question since I was a it lost what Owl Glass said ow everything makes since again :joke:

As for Cinderella I want to try it with the Brothers Grimm since I didn't like the Disney version though I have no clue how to form the two questions. I do want to try the mini GT for the plot of Cinderella and another mini GT for Cinderella traits, but it is the questions that stops me from doing it.

Glass Owl

Hi Glass Owl,
I read your post, but I do not understand what you are trying to say about:

Glass Owl said:
Be careful to decide which source you want to look at - the books or the movies - as they have their differences as well as what points in the series time line

Can you please explain it to me since I feel a bit lost in here. I would really appreciate it, thank you. :)
Sure!

For starters, if you are doing a reading for, say, Bella, which Bella is it? Book Bella or Movie Bella? There are a lot of differences between them so you will need to be clear and specific when wording your question. Same goes if you are looking at the books or the movies. The book "Twilight" isn't the same as the movie "Twilight."

You also should pin down what points in time you want the reading to be about. A reading where you focus on the characters and events that take place in the book "Twilight" is going to be different than if you focus instead on the book, "Eclipse."

You could zoom in even further, asking questions about a character or event specific to a character or a section of a book/movie as you are watching or reading.

Teheuti

Let say I had not read Cinderella and would like to do a lenormand reading for that book. How do I form the question to know about the plot? Also, how do I form the question to know about Cinderella herself? I know that I should not use "should" since that is basically asking a yes or no answer.

Can the question be:
What is the plot of Cinderella?
Definitely. I usually layout five cards for a plot and then I may add their numbers together to get an additional card. Read them as a sequence forming a sentence summary of the plot.

What are Cinderella characteristic/traits?
Certainly. You might want to draw three to five cards for this. Perhaps, after shuffling, find the Woman and read the two cards to either side of her.

Where does the story take place?
I haven't really studied geographical meanings of the cards to see how well they work. You can try it - but don't be surprised if this is not as fruitful as the other two.

What should I be in the lookout when reading the book?
Why not try it? Personally, I assume that the cards already drawn (above) are telling me this anyway, since any story can be described in multiple ways. So I assume I'm getting the slant that I should pay attention to. Or you could ask about the central theme or conflict.

Personally, I draw Lenormand cards for plot and Tarot for theme, conflict and character motivations. Physical and other personality characteristics can work well with Lenormand.