Empaths

GotH

High School was the worst with all those teenagers and their hormonal ups and downs. I would walk into class and could feel each one of their issues they were having that day. I think there was 6 different classes with about 25 students in each class so I'd potentially get slammed by 150 different emotional hits everyday. I wonder how I didn't freaking go nuts back then because I had no idea how to temper what I picked up! Well, in order to protect myself, I would try closing myself off completely but ended up getting a reputation of a stuck up bitch. LOL! At least that's what I would pick up from them because they would never say it out loud. Man, that was a brutal stage of my life. Thank goodness I had a few friends who really knew me and we were pretty tight.

When I graduated from HS, I was able to slowly work with it as I began working with large groups of people who looked up to me for their safety so it was then that I began taking control of this "gift."

Now a days I only allow myself to be open to those I really love and care about. I can always feel it when one of my family members is going through hell for some reason. I'll call and sure enough something is happening. As for the general public, I can still walk into a place and know where everyone is at but I feel I'm going back to my protective shut off mode like I did as a teenager. This however is turning me into a bit of a Hermit. I wonder if many Empaths turn this way?

danieljuk

The question I guess is what makes an empath different from someone emotional or sensitive? Well for me an empath can really feel someone's feelings when they talk or portray their mood. There is a connection there where as someone emotional might react to something emotionally and someone sensitive might get upset or pick up on things going around them more. Empathy is in some way more than that, you "get" them.

I can only write about my own experiences with it and I only found out I was an empath in about 2012 from here :) I am not sure that I am affected by media more than non empaths. If you showed a sad movie or documentary with animals being harmed, a huge percentage would be upset by those things but not all are empaths. I can see a way which is more about how an empath connects with it. If a news story happens, an empath will be upset as they will feel what the people involved feels in some form. Some Empaths though cannot see any pictures / tv or films that would upset them! Some don't watch the news.

This is an excellent link about the traits that are in empaths - http://themindunleashed.org/2013/10/30-traits-of-empath.html

I really struggle around crowds and lots of people and I am really affected by people's energy! One positive I have noticed is that I am really good at talking with upset people and knowing the right thing to say. This included humour if someone has sad news or in negative place. I seem to be able to gage that perfectly. Dealing with being internally overwhelmed? well we are great at internalising everything and also I think thinking too much.

I am still learning to deal with it all really :)

GotH

Thanks for posting that link Daniel..

I am posting the list here for fun. I was cracking up on all the stuff I was listing off. I quoted the ones that hit me the hardest.

Here are 30 of the most common traits:

1. Knowing: Empaths just know stuff, without being told. It’s a knowing that goes way beyond intuition or gut feelings, even though that is how many would describe the knowing. The more attuned they are the stronger this gift becomes.
Yep.. I just know stuff. lol

2. Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others.

3. Feeling others emotions and taking them on as your own: This is a huge one for empaths. To some they will feel emotions off those near by and with others they will feel emotions from those a vast distance away, or both. The more adept empath will know if someone is having bad thoughts about them, even from great distance.
Yep.. I've always know who likes me and who doesn't!

4. Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable: The more attuned an empath becomes the worse it is and may make it so they eventually have to stop watching TV and reading newspapers altogether.
I have stopped watching the news because it becomes too much. As a result I get bagged on for not knowing what's going on in the news though. I can't win. :rolleyes:

5. You know when someone is not being honest: If a friend or a loved one is telling you lies you know it (although many empaths try not to focus on this because knowing a loved one is lying can be painful). Or if someone is saying one thing but feeling/thinking another, you know.
Yep.. Just happened to me the other day with a female friend. I was let down but had to tell myself this is the way it is.

6. Picking up physical symptoms off another: An empath will almost always develop the ailments off another (colds, eye infections, body aches and pains) especially those they’re closest to, somewhat like sympathy pains.

7. Digestive disorders and lower back problems: The solar plexus chakra is based in the centre of the abdomen and it’s known as the seat of emotions. This is where empaths feel the incoming emotion of another, which can weaken the area and eventually lead to anything from stomach ulcers to IBS (too many other conditions to list here). Lower back problems can develop from being ungrounded (amongst other things) and one, who has no knowledge of them being an empath, will almost always be ungrounded.

8. Always looking out for the underdog: Anyone whose suffering, in emotional pain or being bullied draws an empath’s attention and compassion.
I worked with some kids the other day at a seasonal party. One little girl got passed over on a game she clearly won. The teacher said play the game over again and another lil girl ended up taking the prize. I could not go home without correcting the situation.

9. Others will want to offload their problems on you, even strangers: An empath can become a dumping ground for everyone else’s issues and problems, which, if they’re not careful can end up as their own.

10. Constant fatigue: Empaths often get drained of energy, either from energy vampires or just taking on too much from others, which even sleep will not cure. Many get diagnosed with ME.

11. Addictive personality: Alcohol, drugs, sex, are to name but a few addictions that empaths turn to, to block out the emotions of others. It is a form of self protection in order to hide from someone or something.
Must be why I have a full wine cellar! ;)

12. Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things metaphysical: Although many empaths would love to heal others they can end up turning away from being healers (even though they have a natural ability for it), after they’ve studied and qualified, because they take on too much from the one they are trying to heal. Especially if they are unaware of their empathy. Anything of a supernatural nature is of interest to empaths and they don’t surprise or get shocked easily. Even at the revelation of what many others would consider unthinkable, for example, empaths would have known the world was round when others believed it was flat.

13. Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing an empath will have a strong creative streak and a vivid imagination.
Yep!

14. Love of nature and animals: Being outdoors in nature is a must for empaths and pets are an essential part of their life.

15. Need for solitude: An empath will go stir-crazy if they don’t get quiet time. This is even obvious in empathic children.
Indeed.

16. Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated: Work, school and home life has to be kept interesting for an empath or they switch off from it and end up daydreaming or doodling.

17. Finds it impossible to do things they don’t enjoy: As above. Feels like they are living a lie by doing so. To force an empath to do something they dislike through guilt or labelling them as idle will only serve in making them unhappy. It’s for this reason many empaths get labelled as being lazy.

18. Strives for the truth: This becomes more prevalent when an empath discovers his/her gifts and birthright. Anything untruthful feels plain wrong.

19. Always looking for the answers and knowledge: To have unanswered questions can be frustrating for an empath and they will endeavour to find an explanation. If they have a knowing about something they will look for confirmation. The downside to this is an information overload.
True

20. Likes adventure, freedom and travel: Empaths are free spirits.
Yes indeed.

21. Abhors clutter: It makes an empath feel weighed down and blocks the flow of energy.

22. Loves to daydream: An empath can stare into space for hours, in a world of their own and blissfully happy.

23. Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning: Anything that takes away their freedom is debilitating to an empath even poisoning.

24. Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating: The excess weight is a form of protection to stop the negative incoming energies having as much impact.
Wow! Really?

25. Excellent listener: An empath won’t talk about themselves much unless it’s to someone they really trust. They love to learn and know about others and genuinely care.
True.. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm boring because I rarely talk about myself.

26. Intolerance to narcissism: Although kind and often very tolerant of others, empaths do not like to be around overly egotistical people, who put themselves first and refuse to consider another’s feelings or points of view other than their own.
BINGO!!!

27. The ability to feel the days of the week: An empath will get the ‘Friday Feeling’ if they work Fridays or not. They pick up on how the collective are feeling. The first couple of days of a long, bank holiday weekend (Easter for example) can feel, to them, like the world is smiling, calm and relaxed. Sunday evenings, Mondays and Tuesdays, of a working week, have a very heavy feeling.

28. Will not choose to buy antiques, vintage or second-hand: Anything that’s been pre-owned carries the energy of the previous owner. An empath will even prefer to have a brand new car or house (if they are in the financial situation to do so) with no residual energy.
I realize why now..

29. Sense the energy of food: Many empaths don’t like to eat meat or poultry because they can feel the vibrations of the animal (especially if the animal suffered), even if they like the taste.

30. Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected: Depending on how an empath is feeling will depend on what face they show to the world. They can be prone to mood swings and if they’ve taken on too much negative will appear quiet and unsociable, even miserable. An empath detests having to pretend to be happy when they’re sad, this only adds to their load (makes working in the service industry, when it’s service with a smile, very challenging) and can make them feel like scuttling under a stone.
LOL!!! Gosh... I am horrible at trying to appear happy when I'm not.

Pam O

High School was the worst with all those teenagers and their hormonal ups and downs. I would walk into class and could feel each one of their issues they were having that day. I think there was 6 different classes with about 25 students in each class so I'd potentially get slammed by 150 different emotional hits everyday. I wonder how I didn't freaking go nuts back then because I had no idea how to temper what I picked up! Well, in order to protect myself, I would try closing myself off completely but ended up getting a reputation of a stuck up bitch. LOL! At least that's what I would pick up from them because they would never say it out loud. Man, that was a brutal stage of my life. Thank goodness I had a few friends who really knew me and we were pretty tight.

When I graduated from HS, I was able to slowly work with it as I began working with large groups of people who looked up to me for their safety so it was then that I began taking control of this "gift."

Now a days I only allow myself to be open to those I really love and care about. I can always feel it when one of my family members is going through hell for some reason. I'll call and sure enough something is happening. As for the general public, I can still walk into a place and know where everyone is at but I feel I'm going back to my protective shut off mode like I did as a teenager. This however is turning me into a bit of a Hermit. I wonder if many Empaths turn this way?

That is one heck of a story GOTH!!

My good friend, and energy teacher, who I fondly call "Psychic Bob", says he has to super protect himself when he goes out in society. He too has a powerful "gift". He keep saying that anyone can tap into their psychic wisdom. Yes true, But he doesn't yet see ultra empaths, psychics, etc, have situations, and sensitivities, that far exceed the "normal" population.

Sometimes he does not even want to go to the grocery store... He closes down his higher reading chakras in certain ways to protect himself, so he does not get slammed with everyone's "stuff" so much. He used to even have complete strangers walk up to him and ask his advice!

I would walk into to see him, and he would say, "Do you realize you are carrying a bus load of people who have tapped into your energy along with you?"
me: "Wow. Maybe that is why I feel so drained?" I am a dedicated helper type person and I own a pretty successful advertising mag, and people often often want my help so their businesses generate more $$$$$.

He has been teaching me to super protect my aura. Some techniques include setting intention to super strengthen the aura boundary, and a "Protection Rose" that is just on the outside edge of the aura. (This is a tool he learned thru the Berkeley Psychic Institute.)

I am encouraging my friend "Psychic Bob" join AT here. This might be a great thread to show him to inspire him. He has so much to offer in regarding these kinds of questions with his "gift" and studies.

Abbas A Shah

can an empath cause their own emotional system to get wacky, without the input of external emotional energy?

Yes. your own emotional system could get wacky if your not mentally focused its simply because of you (your own mind, emotions, feelings, and your own thoughts, no external influence) it has nothing to do with being an empath/clairsentient

Being an empath/clairsentient means to feel other peoples emotions/feelings, (Your system could get wacky with or without clairsentience.

Once you are able to spot the difference between the two energies, it becomes fairly easy to get less wacky lol. There are various different techniques that are used for empaths to improve such things so they can develop and use their ability more without being drained. It requires practice and mental training, at least till it becomes natural to your subconscious mind.

A stable, positive emotional state of mind always help!

I am an empath my self, I can sit in negative crowds for long time periods without being drained without conscious effort, as it has become natural to me. But hey I am still human it can get to me sometimes again, if I let it.

celticnoodle

This has been a fascinating thread!!! I don't know if I'm an empath but I can relate to almost everything CN said. I used to get what I called input overload. If I stay too long with people who are too intense or talk too much or stay in an environment with background music (even low volume) for 2-3 hours, I start feeling literally sick. As if I had taken a medication and wanted something OUT of my system. Headaches, intense lack of balance. Sometimes, the eye sockets hurt as well.
I also have my embarrasing throw up fits... If a person who is negatively charged walks behind me or gets too close, I get sick and literally throw up. I am lucky for living where I live because people accept this and I can openly tell them they need a cleansing...
I found out that what helps a lot is going outside and walking. Not necessarily in the woods but just to "air out". Keeping an upstraight posture helps (don't know why) and eating icy stuff. The BEST though is taking a dive in the ocean. I know, if you're not close to the beach, it gets difficult. but any MOVING body of water is excellent for that. The salt is just the icing on the cake :)
And no, I'm not bipolar nor suffer from depression. But it does feel like this picture sometimes. With the walls closing in.

Yep. this sounds like me too. I often will get really bad headaches and will feel so ill sometimes that I feel like I will also throw up. I get to the point that I cannot even eat because I am so heavy feeling and ill. I can't recall at this posting if I ever did actually throw up as a result--but I know I get sick to my stomach--terribly so--much of the time! At times like this, I often rely on eating dry toast and drinking either a light tea with plenty of sugar or make my jello tea that also has a calming and balancing effect on me. I know the sugar is bad--but I can literally feel so ill that I begin to suffer from my vertigo and feel like I am going to faint or fall. The sugar seems to actually help me, and I had doctors tell me that its my body telling me I need that sugar--if it seems to help me after consuming it, so go ahead and do so. (with moderation of course!)

Another funny thing that I notice when I begin to get out of sorts--as a result of being heavily loaded down with negative energy, is that I crave either bananas or pretzels. weird, eh? :laugh:

OMG, yes GOTH! School--both elementary and HS were horrible for me--and honestly college was almost worse yet. *sigh*

Yes, I often will get a flash picture of someone I know--(even barely) and then a pain or feeling. Only to hear later that day or in a few days that the person I got a flash of has had a health issue--which is the pain/feeling I got too. Sometimes I will call my family member or friend, because "I know" they are sick--and can generally tell them WHAT is wrong with them. As for wondering if most Empaths turn into hermits. I think yes they do. I was always a hermit though. Even as a child, I much preferred my 'alone' time--where I would just color or sit and day dream. I think now, looking back on it, it was my sort of 'meditation' time--though back then I really had no idea I was meditating. I was always a sickly child--right from birth--so when I needed my 'alone' time--my family didn't bother me much then just thinking I was tired and ill. Thankfully. Looking back on life back then--I realize they bugged me even back then and when it got to be too much--I'd go off to the bedroom to be alone. :laugh:

I also get this with animals. I just had a 'feeling' in my minds eye about a pooch I know well--who belongs to a friend. I literally saw this pooch running in my minds eye with my now deceased granddog. Now those 2 dogs DID know each other in life--but my granddog has been deceased for years now. I sort of shrugged it off, as there was no sense of dread with it. A few days later, my daughter called me to tell me that the owners of that dog had to put him down--because he was so ill and too old to continue on. :bugeyed: No matter how often this sort of thing happens to me--it still amazes me when I 'know' it before it happens. My dau called me the same day this pooch was put to sleep--which was 2 or 3 days after I had that 'feeling/vision'.

This is an excellent link about the traits that are in empaths - http://themindunleashed.org/2013/10/30-traits-of-empath.html
Daniel, thank you for that link! That link was great and like GOTH, perhaps it would be a great way for anyone who is or may think they could be an empathy go over and see if it works for them.

I found that I fit the bill in the great majority of what was mentioned. Especially with the narcissistic people. I really believe a family member of mine suffers with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (though they are not officially diagnosed with it)--and I really have to stay away from this person.

As for people and animals being drawn to me--OMG yes! My family members are use to the fact that when we DO go shopping together at the mall--to break away from me and go their own way--because it NEVER fails. Someone (someone I do not know) will come up to me and literally begin to pour all their sorrows out to me--:rolleyes:--and try as I might to get away from them, I CAN'T! They even follow me at times! :eek: It gets to be so frustrated. So, this is why when I do need/want to go to a public area--I much prefer to sit in an area that is not heavily noticeable. The corner of a restaurant--and a booth perhaps, rather then sit at an open table.

Now, I will ask this question of empaths. Do you find that when you are feeling heavily burdened by the feelings and energies of others that you crave a certain food/drink to calm and re-balance yourself? I wonder if this is also a trait or just my own particular weirdness. :D

ana luisa

Now, I will ask this question of empaths. Do you find that when you are feeling heavily burdened by the feelings and energies of others that you crave a certain food/drink to calm and re-balance yourself? I wonder if this is also a trait or just my own particular weirdness.

Not food but drink. And it has to be COLD! VERY COLD!. To me, this overload is simmilar in feeling to an internal fever, as if the body were trying to figt something off. So, yes, icy water or a ridiculously cold fizzy soda. :)

And yes, I actually throw up on occasions...

PrincessPaulina

Interesting comments from everyone! :)

My husband & I just got back from Las Vegas, where we stayed at a HUGE hotel resort (Mandalay Bay).

I was pretty much fine in the casinos, restaurants, and other public places, as I have learned to shield myself.
But I did notice that during the day, with the "general masses" and lines everywhere, I tended to get tired and drained faster; whereas in the evenings, when the real action/gambling/nightlife started, I would pick up on the "general energy" of excitement, and get energized!

However, the idea of sleeping in the hotel room for 2 nights was initially very difficult for me!
I just can't seem to let my guard down when it is time to undress, take a shower, get into bed, etc. in a place where sooo many other people have been!
I start feeling very obsessive/compulsive about touching any surface...also lots of nervous tension in my stomach!

So, knowing this about myself from previous hotel stays, I brought some crystals, Essential Oils, and a diffuser -- which I set up on a spread cloth.
This usually helps me to claim the space!

Only this time, in Vegas, my "aids" didn't put me totally at ease -- I could still 'see' a thickness of dark energy, in my mind's eye.

So when my husband went to take a shower, and I was left in the room alone, I did a little "clean up" work: first, I turned my feelings of Love & Humor at the energy.
To do this, I recalled the film Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, with a chuckle.
Then I told the negative energy that there was still love in the world, and it was welcome to join the Light if it liked...
This seemed to diminish the dark feeling in the room, but not fully.

So finally, I said out loud, with my right palm facing outward, and turning in a clockwise circle around the room "in the name of Jesus Christ, as the current Living inhabitant of this Room in the physical plane, I insist that any energy present here that is NOT aligned with the Light, must now either integrate with the Light, or be gone from this room!"
And wow, that did the trick!
Don't know what my husband would have thought, if he'd seen it... :)

PrincessPaulina

My husband & I just got back from Las Vegas, where we stayed at a HUGE hotel resort (Mandalay Bay).

I was pretty much fine in the casinos, restaurants, and other public places, as I have learned to shield myself.
But I did notice that during the day, with the "general masses" and lines everywhere, I tended to get tired and drained faster; whereas in the evenings, when the real action/gambling/nightlife started, I would pick up on the "general energy" of excitement, and get energized!

However, the idea of sleeping in the hotel room for 2 nights was initially very difficult for me!
I just can't seem to let my guard down when it is time to undress, take a shower, get into bed, etc. in a place where sooo many other people have been!
I start feeling very obsessive/compulsive about touching any surface...also lots of nervous tension in my stomach!

So, knowing this about myself from previous hotel stays, I brought some crystals, Essential Oils, and a diffuser -- which I set up on a spread cloth.
This usually helps me to claim the space!

Only this time, in Vegas, my "aids" didn't put me totally at ease -- I could still 'see' a thickness of dark energy, in my mind's eye.

So when my husband went to take a shower, and I was left in the room alone, I did a little "clean up" work: first, I turned my feelings of Love & Humor at the energy.
To do this, I recalled the film Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, with a chuckle.
Then I told the negative energy that there was still love in the world, and it was welcome to join the Light if it liked...
This seemed to diminish the dark feeling in the room, but not fully.

So finally, I said out loud, with my right palm facing outward, and turning in a clockwise circle around the room "in the name of Jesus Christ, as the current Living inhabitant of this Room in the physical plane, I insist that any energy present here that is NOT aligned with the Light, must now either integrate with the Light, or be gone from this room!"
And wow, that did the trick!
Don't know what my husband would have thought, if he'd seen it... :)

celticnoodle

Oh! My hubby, sis & I all stayed at Mandalay Bay when we visited Las Vegas. I also can't do crowds really--but we tend to eat dinner early when we go out--between the usual lunch and dinner hours, which prove to be very beneficial for me being an empath and generally pretty beneficial cost wise too! :D

I like what you do to get rid of the negative energy though. I'll have to remember that. My hub and I also would call it a night at an early hour and go to bed before the real partying actually began--which the sis stayed for (she had her own room though), and enjoyed. I have had to get use to this as we travel a lot. Sometimes it is difficult, sometimes I am able to handle it, but I think it is mostly because I like to travel and I have learned to protect and ground and balance myself often!

I really do like your idea though. It is simple to do too--so I will also keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing that tip!