Cards as a deterrent

AnemoneRosie

It's hard because I have mormon friends who are totally respectful. And the ones who come to the door are as well but they don't take something like "I'm tired! I just got home from work and want to be alone right now" as a reason to stop talking. It's hard for me to extricate myself from the conversation because I do try to be polite to them. I just also wish that they'd take hints like "I'm tired because I just got home from work" as the social cue that it is that it's time to go now.

I might just tell them I'm a medium (I'm not) and then close the door really quickly. Idk.

I did once answer the door naked though once though. I'd been about to have a shower and the door went. Because I was expecting my team-mate (so we changed together on the regular) I grabbed a towel and ran to the door. It was two JW's instead of my team-mate. They promptly launched into a lecture about the values of female modesty. All I could think to say was "you came to my door! I didn't seek you out like this."

greatdane

I agree with the live and let live posters have mentioned.

But I did find it amusing that Padma answered the door not knowing who was there and just happened to have a tarot deck in her hand and they left fast. I just got an interesting visual.....

Milfoil

If you write a letter to your local Kingdom Hall asking for you and your property address to be removed from their call list, they will honour our request.

No need for fakery, retaliation or offense, those only come from frustration and anger. Better to just be upfront and honest.

We had a JW work for us for several years and he told me about sending the letter. They believe that they must put the effort in to ensure that everyone has a chance to hear their beliefs. I have no problem with that but just don't like the interruptions so hence sending the letter.

Yelell

Lol, it reminds me of my aunt who has such a hard time getting off the phone from telemarketers! "They just keep talking and I can't hang up!"

I just say to these people "I'm not interested. Good Day to you. Goodbye. *click*"

It's my house/phone. I paid for it. I'm not obligated to provide a good excuse for not having a conversation. I don't need to be rude, but it's not rude IMO to say goodbye (over their talking if necessary) and shut the door.

greatdane

Interesting, Milfoil

I wonder if we have something like that in the US. To be honest, I never thought of that, but we do have the Do Not Call registry for phones....

I don't really get people knocking on my door here, but it would be good to know if there is such a thing in the US. Getting taken off any list. Brilliant idea and I think it would save time for those proselytizing as well, to not go to someone who didn't wish to be bothered.

gregory

Lol, it reminds me of my aunt who has such a hard time getting off the phone from telemarketers! "They just keep talking and I can't hang up!"

I just say to these people "I'm not interested. Good Day to you. Goodbye. *click*"

It's my house/phone. I paid for it. I'm not obligated to provide a good excuse for not having a conversation. I don't need to be rude, but it's not rude IMO to say goodbye (over their talking if necessary) and shut the door.
That is the furthest I would take it. I would be being JUST as offensive if I took issue with their beliefs as they are (allegedly) being coming to my door.

I get really hacked off with people - here ! - saying - in effect - that OUR tarot beliefs trump everyone else's and others must for some reason LEARN to accept ours; that they NEED to be convinced that we are OK. Why ? We aren't offering them that courtesy when we threaten them with cards and so on. They are doing no harm. IF they do actually harass - something that has never EVER happened to me in all my 70 years in two countries - the police can make them desist - but HONESTLY, how many people here have genuinely had any real issue ? It's this kneejerk reaction - they came to my door so I have the right to be rude. No.

As an aside, the Watchtower makes a very fine colouring book. My daughters used to love them !

ETA - telemarketers. I put the phone down on the counter and let them talk to themselves. They hang up in the end - and while it is off the hook another one cannot call me ! OR (when I am really bored) I listen to their spiel and eventually say something helpful like (in the case of a new fitted kitchen for instance) - "that sounds wonderful - and it would work in a trailer, right ?:" :D

My mother - in one of her rare finer moments - went all "tearful" and said she had just come from her doctor who had told her not to make any long term plans.... they actually apologised for upsetting her.

Milfoil

As an aside, the Watchtower makes a very fine colouring book. My daughters used to love them !

This is very true, they also make incredibly good bin liners to soak up any seepage in the bottom, being the size they are . . . . Don't ask!

Yelell

That is the furthest I would take it. I would be being JUST as offensive if I took issue with their beliefs as they are (allegedly) being coming to my door.

I get really hacked off with people - here ! - saying - in effect - that OUR tarot beliefs trump everyone else's and others must for some reason LEARN to accept ours; that they NEED to be convinced that we are OK. Why ? We aren't offering them that courtesy when we threaten them with cards and so on. They are doing no harm. IF they do actually harass - something that has never EVER happened to me in all my 70 years in two countries - the police can make them desist - but HONESTLY, how many people here have genuinely had any real issue ? It's this kneejerk reaction - they came to my door so I have the right to be rude. No.

ETA - telemarketers. I put the phone down on the counter and let them talk to themselves. They hang up in the end - and while it is off the hook another one cannot call me ! OR (when I am really bored) I listen to their spiel and eventually say something helpful like (in the case of a new fitted kitchen for instance) - "that sounds wonderful - and it would work in a trailer, right ?:" :D

My mother - in one of her rare finer moments - went all "tearful" and said she had just come from her doctor who had told her not to make any long term plans.... they actually apologised for upsetting her.

Oh, I don't take issue with their beliefs. I just know where mine are, so I truly am not interested. Who knows, they may find a receptive individual who will be glad they have come. Better to save their efforts for that person. Telemarketers as well. Best to find out quickly I am not a potential customer, so they can move on to a better prospect. Why waste their time and mine?

ETA they do have those "no solicitors" signs, which maybe the religious visitors would respect? Then again maybe not.

Padma

@ Gregory - in case you meant my post - I didn't threaten them with my cards, I just happened to have them in my hand when I innocently answered the door. I did not see any harm in telling them I was Pagan, much as they had done no harm in telling me they were JW's. :) No one said anything nasty, and they chose to leave. No one was offended, and no harm was done to either me nor them.

Sometimes honesty really is the best policy. :D

Debra

Milfoil's suggestion worked for us, and it's respectful, which is always a plus.

Our front door is up two flights of stairs.
After three years of thanking religious solicitors for thinking of us, but no thanks, I asked if they could put our address on a "no visits" list.

Why yes they could, and were grateful for saving them more fruitless climbs. Not one religious visitor since then.

Greatdane, Kingdom Hall is what Jehovah's witnesses call their local church.