Mind-body-soul support during hard times?

Midsummereve

Hello all,

My body and soul feel heavy, held down by a number of sorrowful events happening in my life / the life of family members and friends ... people parting ways, people being diagnosed with serious and terminal illnesses, serious life decisions and changes ahead... I am finding it hard to cope.

How do you guys help your bodies and souls in times of sorrow and serious challenges?

RiverRunsDeep

I've been coping with similar events over the past handful of years, a seemingly endless round of loss, death, and grieving.

My most effective way of coping is through intense physical exercise. I have practiced martial arts for many years, and all of the punching, kicking, and intense activity is SO helpful in releasing my stress and anxiety. I also have a punching bag and boxing/kickboxing DVDs at home that I use regularly. It not only releases my stress, but also gives me a sense of accomplishment and empowerment during times when life feels completely out of control. If martial arts and kickboxing aren't your preference, I would imagine any type of intense physical exercise would have similar benefits.

I am a Reiki practitioner, so I often do self-Reiki treatments and general energy work on myself to keep my energy strong and balanced.

I also believe that developing a regular meditation practice is extremely beneficial in dealing with stress. When I feel too exhausted or overwhelmed to meditate on my own, I like to take advantage of guided meditations, either CDs or cell phone apps. I have found guided meditation to be especially useful at night; it helps me to relax and fall asleep.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through difficult times, Midsummereve. I hope you find what works best with helping you to cope.

Midsummereve

I've been coping with similar events over the past handful of years, a seemingly endless round of loss, death, and grieving.

My most effective way of coping is through intense physical exercise. I have practiced martial arts for many years, and all of the punching, kicking, and intense activity is SO helpful in releasing my stress and anxiety. I also have a punching bag and boxing/kickboxing DVDs at home that I use regularly. It not only releases my stress, but also gives me a sense of accomplishment and empowerment during times when life feels completely out of control. If martial arts and kickboxing aren't your preference, I would imagine any type of intense physical exercise would have similar benefits.

I am a Reiki practitioner, so I often do self-Reiki treatments and general energy work on myself to keep my energy strong and balanced.

I also believe that developing a regular meditation practice is extremely beneficial in dealing with stress. When I feel too exhausted or overwhelmed to meditate on my own, I like to take advantage of guided meditations, either CDs or cell phone apps. I have found guided meditation to be especially useful at night; it helps me to relax and fall asleep.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through difficult times, Midsummereve. I hope you find what works best with helping you to cope.

Thanks for this. I would imagine that as a martial arts practitioner, the spiritual side of those arts has been of help to you too :)

I toyed with the idea of learning Kung Fu for a while, but went down the yoga path instead. I think that my chakras are all out of whack with all this negative energy around me. I have not practiced yoga in 5 months (been too overwhelmed), which I am sure has been detrimental to my mental health overall. I abandoned my meditation practice years ago but you are right, my zafu is still around somewhere and I must make time for myself once again, and just sit... It feels like I am internalizing everyone's pain (including my own) and carrying that with me all day long. I must find focus again and re-learn to let go.

Sorry life has been dealing you blows (unrelated to martial arts or to kickboxing). It seems that life does just that sometimes, it all seems very random to me. Some think we are being tested, some of these tests seem pretty pointless and certainly ruthless to me.... but that's the subject of a different conversation entirely.

With gratitude,
Stay well!

RiverRunsDeep

Sorry life has been dealing you blows (unrelated to martial arts or to kickboxing).

Ha! Funny :laugh:

I had another idea. I am a massage therapist, and I will often visit a fellow therapist to receive massage, bodywork, or energy work of some kind. It is such a healing and nurturing experience. Plus, it is an experience in which I get to relax completely, and the other person is doing all of the "work".

Sounds like you already have some ideas for how to cope, with your yoga and meditation practice. Maybe the key is learning to think of it as a treat for yourself, instead of work that has to be done.

Yeah, I know what you mean about painful events seeming random and pointless. But I don't think they are meant to be ruthless. I don't believe there is any intention behind them at all. As a good friend of mine says, "It is what it is". Indeed, that is a whole other topic for discussion!

Midsummereve

As a good friend of mine says, "It is what it is". Indeed, that is a whole other topic for discussion!

... sounds very Zen-like to me. I am Zen-trained but Life has a way of throwing spanners in the works and making my Zen training derail. Another lesson for me there maybe?

Good night!

Tanga

I do all of what RiverRunsDeep mentions.

1) Regular fitness class of some sort - presently it's Wing Tsun Kung Fu - and I hope this will be so for many years more as it's a fascinating subject. (have done yoga, and ballroom and belly dancing - until my knees decided they didn't like it anymore).
2) I'm also a body therapist. I go for regular therapy sessions myself. Crania-sacral with counselling (so I get to chat on a regular basis about whatever stuff I'm dealing with presently), and manual lymphatic drainage massage once monthly.
To the kinesiologist (checks diet and supplementation, stress level with affirmations), osteopath or massage therapist as-and-when, for treatments or treats and check-up.
3) Meditation. I'm not an expert. I have some music that I listen to whilst doing visualisations, or simple breath work exercises. And my latest is colouring books.
Haven't found a satisfactory Tarot colouring book yet. ...The Tarot Lady is bringing one out
in the autumn - I'm waiting for that.

Plus I attempt to emulate my cat daily - lie around just Being and enjoying/being grateful
in the moment. :joke:

When things are really tough - I find the easiest thing to stick to is 1) and the cat :)
- and so even when feeling like death-warmed-up emotionally - I drag myself to these classes. (and the point is to go out - into another environment and talk to different people, so away for a while, from whatever stuff might be going on. Plus you also then find out that you're not alone in dealing with stuff - in some cases a huge perspective aid.).
It's been such a life-saver at times.

As for "It is what it is" - agreed. Shit just happens (pardon me!).
It's us who attach a meaning to it.

I hope you can find your balance Midsummereve.
I find mine goes in cycles - but I have a framework set in place that helps me
manage it all.

Midsummereve

I do all of what RiverRunsDeep mentions.

1) Regular fitness class of some sort - presently it's Wing Tsun Kung Fu - and I hope this will be so for many years more as it's a fascinating subject. (have done yoga, and ballroom and belly dancing - until my knees decided they didn't like it anymore).
2) I'm also a body therapist. I go for regular therapy sessions myself. Crania-sacral with counselling (so I get to chat on a regular basis about whatever stuff I'm dealing with presently), and manual lymphatic drainage massage once monthly.
To the kinesiologist (checks diet and supplementation, stress level with affirmations), osteopath or massage therapist as-and-when, for treatments or treats and check-up.
3) Meditation. I'm not an expert. I have some music that I listen to whilst doing visualisations, or simple breath work exercises. And my latest is colouring books.
Haven't found a satisfactory Tarot colouring book yet. ...The Tarot Lady is bringing one out
in the autumn - I'm waiting for that.

Plus I attempt to emulate my cat daily - lie around just Being and enjoying/being grateful

When things are really tough - I find the easiest thing to stick to is 1) and the cat :)
- and so even when feeling like death-warmed-up emotionally - I drag myself to these classes. (and the point is to go out - into another environment and talk to different people, so away for a while, from whatever stuff might be going on. Plus you also then find out that you're not alone in dealing with stuff - in some cases a huge perspective aid.).
It's been such a life-saver at times.

As for "It is what it is" - agreed. Shit just happens (pardon me!).
It's us who attach a meaning to it.

I hope you can find your balance Midsummereve.
I find mine goes in cycles - but I have a framework set in place that helps me
manage it all.

Hi! Thanks for all this.
Yes, I must get back into my regular (4 times a week) yoga practice and stop finding excuses for not going every week...

I'm going to go for a massage and for a reiki session too. I have a friend who is a Reiki/ Body Talk practitioner and he should be able to help. For the rest, I will sit on my cushion next to my cat and stare out of my garden window as he does. Perhaps feline wisdom is contagious ;)

EmpressArwen

"It is what it is" is my mantra. Do I still freak out when the ish hits the fan? Yeah but only in really weak moments. I keep saying that mantra over and over. It really does help.

When I feel weak and tired (or stressed or depressed or whatever), I work with the angelic realm to balance my chakras. I've had amazing things happen with this. It's kind of a long process to write out but would be happy to explain it if you are interested. Shoot me a PM. :)

celticnoodle

:laugh: I LOVE THIS ONE!!! :thumbsup:

"It is what it is" is my mantra.
same here.

Everyone had some great ideas. I do like meditation and honestly, my favorite meditation is to recite the rosary. It gives me an overwhelming sense of calm and peace. But, I realize not everyone wants to pray the rosary. But do meditate and try to do this every day--at least for a few minutes and increase as you can. It helps a lot.

I also at times will get into the warm shower and cry my heart out. Crying is so very releasing too. My husband can't stand to see me cry--but for me it is essential when I am feeling like I cannot take it anymore. And, the warmth of the water seems to also help me. I imagine the water is also washing all my grief or anxiety away - down the drain to be cleansed and that I am also cleansed as a result of the shower.

And, I like to hold onto my rose quartz stones. They are so healing for me.

Right now, these are the only things I can think of. I'm sorry you are going through hard times and hope they pass by and improve for you quickly. ((:)heart:)))

Milfoil

Hello all,

My body and soul feel heavy, held down by a number of sorrowful events happening in my life / the life of family members and friends ... people parting ways, people being diagnosed with serious and terminal illnesses, serious life decisions and changes ahead... I am finding it hard to cope.

How do you guys help your bodies and souls in times of sorrow and serious challenges?

Times like these are so very hard to cope with and my heart feels deeply for you. Lots of great ways to 'do something' have already been mentioned but from my own experience the most important things were having good friends to talk to. Friends who understood and didn't expect too much or try to change me but were there to listen and help IF I asked.

Letting go of beliefs which hurt more than they helped was another one. The "I should be doing this" or "Why is this happening to me" kind of thoughts which serve no purpose. A comforting thought is that everyone goes through deeply painful times in their lives, they are like a kind of right of passage and once through and viewed from the other side, we see the journey as a transformative process which could happen no other way. Unless, of course, we dig our heels in and refuse to change or accept what is happening - but then you are already questioning so that's not likely.

Endure and learn, like all the great hero stories around the world. Each hero or heroine must go through hardships, swamps of despair or dark forests full of fearful creatures before they reach their goal. Even when you feel like giving up, endure one more day and be open to the messages all around you of support and strength.

Hugs :)