Break it to the Family

Barleywine

My eight siblings have known about it for decades, and sometimes come for readings. My parents knew but were completely clueless; however, my maternal grandmother read playing cards. My wife's family members know but they're either devout Catholic or fanatical "born-again," and it's "the Devil's work" to them. We politely and prudently ignore the subject. But I have all of their astrological charts! }) Right now I live in "redneck" country, so I haven't been very forthcoming with anyone outside of family.

celticnoodle

Bonny, Thank you for your post, but I think you've gotten it somewhat confused. I never said I was afraid. Not that I can see or remember anyway. Did you mean to have your post for the original poster of this thread?

And, as for Catholics...it is definitely against the faith. The only reason I did hide it from the Church, is because I didn't want to be excommunicated and also I worked for the Church. I certainly wouldn't be able to be Director of Religious Education and lead the classes for the children and converts if it were known that I was also into divination. Trust me, the Bishop wouldn't EVER allow that! :laugh:

Maybe the Catholics in your area are different from the ones here in the U.S. but, they would definitely frown upon that here.

Plus, my posts here have also been saying exactly what you said in yours:
Telling others about tarot or divination practices is up to you.

I think the best approach is just to choose carefully who you tell. I tend to think that anyone mildly intuitive would know who will and won't have the best reaction - and that's my yardstick. I'm happy to talk to some people about it but not others.
Yes, I agree with you, Le Fanu.

I love my cards, I have a room which is floor to ceiling cards - I think it shocks people when they see it, even those open-minded ones - there's an expression of "my goodness, I didn't know you were that obsessed!" But it's in my house and anyone who comes here has a certain amount of intimacy with me. I tend to mention it rarely at work. I have a good position and I don't want people thinking I make decisions based on spreads and soothsaying. I don't want to give people the satisfaction of judging.
cool! a room w/floor to ceiling cards! :D I also agree and now leave my things out. It is MY house. I am not going to hide things to make YOU feel better. If you don't like it. Dont come to my house. period.

My eight siblings have known about it for decades, and sometimes come for readings. My parents knew but were completely clueless;
:laugh: that's funny!
however, my maternal grandmother read playing cards. My wife's family members know but they're either devout Catholic or fanatical "born-again," and it's "the Devil's work" to them. We politely and prudently ignore the subject. But I have all of their astrological charts! }) Right now I live in "redneck" country, so I haven't been very forthcoming with anyone outside of family.
ah yes. same here, as far as it being either devout Catholic or fanatical "born-again" Christians. We also live in "redneck" country. But, I don't have their astrological charts. that is one thing I never learned to do. :D

IndigoIsabelle, as you can tell, pretty much everyone here feels that its up to you as to whom you share your activities with. If you are comfortable doing so, then fine. If you aren't so comfortable - then don't share. Its no ones business anyway, but yours. :)

Bonny

This is a fun conversation.

Sorry Celticnoodle, I didn't mean to imply you were afraid.
I was kindly speaking to the one who started the thread.

The official catholic position is against - no doubt about that.
But the real church (the people) is a pluralistic group. Some will think this, some will think that.

In an attempt to respond to the initial question - it is noticing The 'thinking' - that's what I am trying to point to.
Good thinking can cope with church statements saying something while using their own conscience to really work out the final moral position on something. (Has since Vatican II in the 60's anyway)
Poor thinking will apply a black and white simplicity. 'All x is bad' - which is a kind of deontological reasoning not relevant to divination.

So if people around you are 'black and white thinkers' I would suggest it might be hard to share your love of divination.

Hope this is clearer than mud,

Cheers All ,

B:)

Morwenna

Catholics are a weird bunch. :) I should know. I do believe that the closer US people are to their immigrant roots, the more likely they are to hang onto folkways, including divination, no matter what the clergy says. I know it from inside with the old Canadian French (my grandmother read playing cards), and I've heard lots about it from people of Irish and Italian roots, possibly some Slavic. And these are regular churchgoers (or were; I'm thinking more about previous generations). It's the Puritan (or Calvinistic) strain among Anglos that's problematic, even the Catholic Anglos; they've absorbed so much over the generations from their much more numerous Protestant neighbors.

BTW, saying "Canadian French" is an old habit from my mother's generation and before; some of them used that to stress their Frenchness, as opposed to "French Canadian" which merely describes what strain of Canadian. I honestly don't know what the situation is in Canada now; please, some of you, enlighten me. :)

Padma

BTW, saying "Canadian French" is an old habit from my mother's generation and before; some of them used that to stress their Frenchness, as opposed to "French Canadian" which merely describes what strain of Canadian. I honestly don't know what the situation is in Canada now; please, some of you, enlighten me. :)

Ok, it is OT, but...We call ourselves French Canadian (Franco-Canadien/ne) if we identify with our country as a whole. Many people who live in Quebec are now Separatists, and when the political Separatist party ruled there, they dropped the "Canadien/ne" and became just "Franco" or "Francais/e". Or just plain "Quebecois/e". The French located in the province of New Brunswick call themselves Acadien/ne, and the French in the province of Ontario call themselves "Franco-Ontarien/ne". The province of Manitoba French population is generally known as "Franco-Manitobain/nes" (or Metis, if their family included Native Canadian roots).

celticnoodle

Catholics are a weird bunch. :)
:laugh:
I should know. I do believe that the closer US people are to their immigrant roots, the more likely they are to hang onto folkways, including divination, no matter what the clergy says. I know it from inside with the old Canadian French (my grandmother read playing cards), and I've heard lots about it from people of Irish and Italian roots, possibly some Slavic. And these are regular churchgoers (or were; I'm thinking more about previous generations). It's the Puritan (or Calvinistic) strain among Anglos that's problematic, even the Catholic Anglos; they've absorbed so much over the generations from their much more numerous Protestant neighbors.
I whole heartily agree with you. However, even the Priest who did give me such a fit about it was also a citizen of Ireland. He had dual citizenship, as his grandparents (like mine) were born there. Grandchildren can apply for and receive full citizenship there. He got it and use to urge me to do the same, but I have yet to do so.
I always heard them called "French Canadian" not the other way around. In Vermont, we had many neighbors from Canada, specifically Montreal. A few only spoke French, though most were bilingual. They all referrred to themselves as "French Canadian".

Ok, it is OT, but...We call ourselves French Canadian (Franco-Canadien/ne) if we identify with our country as a whole. Many people who live in Quebec are now Separatists, and when the political Separatist party ruled there, they dropped the "Canadien/ne" and became just "Franco" or "Francais/e". Or just plain "Quebecois/e". The French located in the province of New Brunswick call themselves Acadien/ne, and the French in the province of Ontario call themselves "Franco-Ontarien/ne". The province of Manitoba French population is generally known as "Franco-Manitobain/nes" (or Metis, if their family included Native Canadian roots).

yes, I have also heard this--New Brunswich "Acadien" and Ontario as French Ontariens.

Papa Tango

Indeed, Catholics can be a diverse bunch. My own early history was within that tribe. To keep the family happy, I put in a short appearance on Christmas & Easter. My recently demised MIL was nearly 101YO at her death--a first generation, old school Italian type Catholic. This was mixed with Italian magic, signs, and saints. St. Anthony left the house with her... :)

In the past, many of those in my "family & friends" circle saw Tarot as tame. Matter of fact, this was conservative as to many of their beliefs--which often changed according to the trend or guru of the time. So cards and whatever I was doing with them met no challenges.

My current crew of familiars (pun intended) is a bit more conservative. The wife knows I have a few decks, and has heard me rattle on about the archetypal basis in figures and motif's that they represent. While not a happy thing for her--this does not meet serious objection or criteria. Peace is kept via keeping activity with the cards to myself.

As they say, sometimes ignorance is bliss... :cool2:

Barleywine

Fortunately, my wife is a "believer," even a bit of a "practitioner." For a while she was my only victim . . . er, sitter. She's partial to the Lenormand now that I've taken that up.

celticnoodle

And at first my husband was also a poo-pooer to the whole deal. Even though his own maternal gm and great gm were psychic as well. his mom also had the ability, but was terrified of it and so flat refused to even talk about this sort of subject. I think that is why my husband was the way he was.

his sister, my sil also has psychic abilities, but she just laughed at things she would happen "to know" and think, "wow, that was cool I predicted that, isn't it"? When I came into the family fold, this sister and I hit it off and soon I was helping her to develop her abilities and even got her to reading cards. She's quite good at it too!

The hubby didn't want anything to do with it, tbh, until we began to constantly run into some of my clients whenever we went out. My clients would inevitably come up to me and tell me of things I predicted and tell my husband, "your wife is good!". After awhile, he began to ask me to do readings for him. Not often, but now and again. Now, he's more of a supporter, though I don't share all of my experiences w/him as I know he's not quite ready to hear of my astral travels...........

:p