Law of Attraction - Lack


> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Beyond Tarot > Spirituality



 
G6's Avatar
G6  G6 is offline
Citizen X
 
Join Date: 23 May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,030
G6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunsDeep View Post
When you put it this way, it does sound kind of ridiculous, doesn't it? IMHO, it is not the universe which is providing the happiness or unhappiness. Rather, it is our own perception of what the universe is providing based on our own positive or negative mindset. When we have a positive state of mind, we are more likely to see the gifts, options, and opportunities that surround us. When we are in a negative mindset, we tend to be blind to all the good stuff.



I don't believe self-esteem is the only reason, but I do think it is a major player. It goes back to what Falcor mentioned, about needing action in addition to thought. I think people with low self-esteem are less likely to take the necessary actions to get themselves out of whatever rut they are in.



I am guilty of reading "The Secret", so I have tried this technique. Specifically, I was looking for a new rental property for my massage business, and there was a particular office in town that always attracted me. It was the perfect location, perfect size, perfect everything, and I began visualizing myself as the renter of that property. Random coincidence? Not sure. I will say that I did take the necessary actions in addition to the thoughts, checking often with realtors/websites/rental listings. In any case, I am now the proud renter of that lovely office.
It is funny. 😂

I can see low self-esteem might prevent someone from taking action which is an important part. The danger I find with some of these spiritual ideals and labels is that they can seem judgmental and counterproductive if one truly is on a path of spiritual development. Attitudes like, "So and so is in lack. Stay away from So and so because they will bring you down..."

That sounds good about your workspace, but was it really law of attraction or just making something you want happen?
Top   #21
RiverRunsDeep's Avatar
RiverRunsDeep  RiverRunsDeep is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2015
Location: h-e-r-e
Posts: 2,705
RiverRunsDeep 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 View Post
That sounds good about your workspace, but was it really law of attraction or just making something you want happen?
Good question. Maybe a little bit of both?? The workspace in question had been a family business and was rented by the same family for many years. It seemed very unlikely that it would become available, and yet it did, not long after I began visualizing myself there. Again, could have simply been coincidence.
Top   #22
G6's Avatar
G6  G6 is offline
Citizen X
 
Join Date: 23 May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,030
G6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunsDeep View Post
Good question. Maybe a little bit of both?? The workspace in question had been a family business and was rented by the same family for many years. It seemed very unlikely that it would become available, and yet it did, not long after I began visualizing myself there. Again, could have simply been coincidence.
On the flip side what if someone is just lazy or unmotivated?
Top   #23
RiverRunsDeep's Avatar
RiverRunsDeep  RiverRunsDeep is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2015
Location: h-e-r-e
Posts: 2,705
RiverRunsDeep 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 View Post
On the flip side what if someone is just lazy or unmotivated?
Rhetorical question? If not, I would say this would be the same as someone with low self esteem. No action equals no results.
Top   #24
suk  suk is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Oct 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 469
suk 

Hiee, I'm here to throw a spanner in the works for you and blow your minds a little bit maybe.

The Law of Attraction is a concept that has been appropriated by white capitalists to do the thing they want to do most: sell shit. That said, the idea that it is based on has a long, LONG history, dating back to shamanism and perhaps pre-shamanism if that's a thing.

This idea basically says that if you're in alignment with the universe, the universe in turn will make things happen for you that make your path easier. Magical, 'lucky' things will happen: it's hard to explain the awe you feel when they do. This is very much real, it very much does happen. Sufis have called it 'barakah', the highest blessing from God.

The problem then is: how do you become in alignment? LOA folks will say 'yah just be positive, like attracts like' etc. That's the sissy's answer. The real answer is that it takes courage. It takes honesty of a sort that we've stopped believing in, with ourselves, with each other, with the whole world. It takes deep commitment to the spiritual path -- and it's not for the faint-hearted.

I've said this before on here: LOA as it's talked about today will work, because the principles do work. But they come with consequences; you can't fool spirit. You can 'manifest' money/a partner/other dumb shit, but if you aren't prepared to accept that everything that you experience is there to teach you, there's no point. It will fall apart, sooner or later, in one way or another. Desire itself is a trap.

We do create our realities, whether we realise it or not. But trying to affect them can't be done in that simplistic, childish way. It needs to come from somewhere spiritually mature, that understands the perfection of the universe. This understanding will show us that even the worst things that happen are actually just the things that needed to happen.

It's a lot more beautiful and elegant a design than we can know, we're not evolved enough. If we listen to the teachings though, we start to receive little hints and signs...
Top   #25

suk  suk is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Oct 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 469
suk 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 View Post
Seems most agree the law of attraction works in tandem with action whether it's direct action like applying for jobs or more of what you are talking about, which is self work that needs to be done. Can you talk more about self work or reprogramming actions?
I don't know about GoTH, but there are many ways to do this kind of work -- journaling, meditation, using a pendulum, using tarot. Basically self-awareness and serious reflection of any sort will do it.
Top   #26
G6's Avatar
G6  G6 is offline
Citizen X
 
Join Date: 23 May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,030
G6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunsDeep View Post
Rhetorical question? If not, I would say this would be the same as someone with low self esteem. No action equals no results.
Where does depression or mental illness figure into all of this? I guess I'm trying to get at my main reasons for thinking LOA is too simplistic or superficial. Depression and mental illness also low self-esteem? Anything that can be attributed to lack of success is a character default? Just doesn't work for me with people I've experienced in life who are successful and spiritually unevolved or not successful and pretty self-aware.
Top   #27
G6's Avatar
G6  G6 is offline
Citizen X
 
Join Date: 23 May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,030
G6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suk View Post
Hiee, I'm here to throw a spanner in the works for you and blow your minds a little bit maybe.

The Law of Attraction is a concept that has been appropriated by white capitalists to do the thing they want to do most: sell shit. That said, the idea that it is based on has a long, LONG history, dating back to shamanism and perhaps pre-shamanism if that's a thing.

This idea basically says that if you're in alignment with the universe, the universe in turn will make things happen for you that make your path easier. Magical, 'lucky' things will happen: it's hard to explain the awe you feel when they do. This is very much real, it very much does happen. Sufis have called it 'barakah', the highest blessing from God.

The problem then is: how do you become in alignment? LOA folks will say 'yah just be positive, like attracts like' etc. That's the sissy's answer. The real answer is that it takes courage. It takes honesty of a sort that we've stopped believing in, with ourselves, with each other, with the whole world. It takes deep commitment to the spiritual path -- and it's not for the faint-hearted.

I've said this before on here: LOA as it's talked about today will work, because the principles do work. But they come with consequences; you can't fool spirit. You can 'manifest' money/a partner/other dumb shit, but if you aren't prepared to accept that everything that you experience is there to teach you, there's no point. It will fall apart, sooner or later, in one way or another. Desire itself is a trap.

We do create our realities, whether we realise it or not. But trying to affect them can't be done in that simplistic, childish way. It needs to come from somewhere spiritually mature, that understands the perfection of the universe. This understanding will show us that even the worst things that happen are actually just the things that needed to happen.

It's a lot more beautiful and elegant a design than we can know, we're not evolved enough. If we listen to the teachings though, we start to receive little hints and signs...
Thanks for this take on it. What if as you say manifesting all this "dumb shit" aka material wealth, perfect relationships etc., isn't in alignment with the lessons you need to learn? In this sense, what is superficial or false or simply a misinterpretation of LOA is that the typical indicators we've agreed on as a society that make one "successful" are not true for everyone.

Do you have examples of the hints or signs you mention above?
Top   #28
G6's Avatar
G6  G6 is offline
Citizen X
 
Join Date: 23 May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,030
G6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suk View Post
I don't know about GoTH, but there are many ways to do this kind of work -- journaling, meditation, using a pendulum, using tarot. Basically self-awareness and serious reflection of any sort will do it.
What if someone has spent a lot of time on self-awareness/reflection and the desired results are still not achieved. Does 1+1 always equal 2? You mentioned you can't fool spirit, so if the desired results are not achieved it means you didn't really do the self-work. On the flip side if you happen to manifest something you desire, but lose it is that another way of sending the same message that basically you didn't work on what you needed to or evolve beyond some shortcomings?
Top   #29
GotH's Avatar
GotH  GotH is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2012
Location: incognitio
Posts: 27,396
GotH 

@suk.. You used some pretty offensive words in your post to indirectly describe people who believe in the LoA. "Dumb Shit" "Sissy" "Childish." If the wording was originally yours to begin with, it sounds to me like you are trying to "manifest" an image of yourself that makes you appear superior to others. And nope, my mind is not blown by that..
Top   #30
Elsewhere on the Tarot Forum
Popular Tarot Boards
· Using Tarot Cards
· Talking Tarot
· Tarot Spreads
· Tarot Decks
· Rider-Waite-Smith

Special Interest Boards
· Astrology
· Crystals & Herbs
· Divination
· Lenormand
· Spirituality

Popular Tarot Threads
· Pet Peeves
· Timing of cards
· Interesting tarot pairs
· The Moon as how someone feels
· The World as feelings

More Tarot Threads
· Cards for certain events
· Tarot meanings for health
· List of Tarot Questions
· Can Tarot be Dangerous?
· List of Tarot Myths



Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· Tarot eBooks
· Tarot Card Meanings

Copyright © 1996 - 2021 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us. About us.