Would you go underground for tarot?

Logiatrix

If tarot were to suddenly become illegal, to the extent that you could be jailed, would you still keep it in your life?
I'm not talking about a situation like the times of burning, or a sudden shift to a Communist state; let's just assume there is no moral or political connection here.
My imaginary scenario only changes this one thing: that the use and ownership of tarot cards results in a hefty fine and imprisonment.
Would you keep a deck hidden, openly protest, or just resign yourself to the law?
:smoker:

Maly

For a while, I'd keep my deck hidden, and deny the truth. However, during the time I would find some other rebels, and then start protesting.

Thats the first scenario.
The second.

I would either protest away, or go litterally underground. Hopefully with others.

Kind of similar to D&D, people believing it was the Devil's works. And how it was the reason people were converted to Santanism, did sacrificial rituals, and commited suicide.

VGimlet

Oh, keep it for sure.

It's been in my life for 31 years, I would not give it up.

I thought about this very thing not so long ago, after I read the Handmaid's Tale. (I included books, but I will exclude them here) I would have Ken build me a secret closet or three in our house, where I would keep all my decks.

I would protest, and write letters, give money, and (if I wasn't working full time) volunteer my time.

morandia

well, if I know how to read well enough, I could use blank index cards (shamelessly swiped from another post), so wouldn't need to have a deck.... so could still read, and meditate on what I have in my mind....

Imagemaker

Depending on the Big Brother eye watching every move and finding people (in this scenario are friends and family reporting our moves?), I'd hide decks. Otherwise, I'd create a disguised way to code the cards onto another material.

How about 78 buttons, each one representing a card without being in suits or marked in any way.

When repression is great enough, the oppressed get creative. In fact, in "Woman with the Alabaster Jar," Margaret Starbird says the tarot IS that disguised information already.

Umbrae

I'd go underground AND protest.

Same with Firearms.

Same with Marijuana.

Same with the spiritual.

Same with Freemasonry. Back in Nazi era, Freemason's were rounded up and sent to the showers with others. The Square and Compass was replaced by a pin of the 'forget-me-not'. I remember seeing at an auction a nazi officers dagger, with a forget-me-not inlaid in the middle of the swastika.

Moongold

Logiatrix said:
If tarot were to suddenly become illegal, to the extent that you could be jailed, would you still keep it in your life?
I'm not talking about a situation like the times of burning, or a sudden shift to a Communist state; let's just assume there is no moral or political connection here.
My imaginary scenario only changes this one thing: that the use and ownership of tarot cards results in a hefty fine and imprisonment.
Would you keep a deck hidden, openly protest, or just resign yourself to the law?

Hey Logiatrix... have you taken up smoking? :D

I would keep my tarot decks. What was that book where "they" banned and burned books. Was it Fahrenheit451?

You might ban things of the spirit and the mind but they just grow stronger.

MeeWah

It was indeed "Fahrenheit 451"--written by Ray Bradbury.

Such a scenario would likely have snitchers ratting out on those who were Tarot-friendly to collect "rewards". No way could I hide my Tarot. I would do as Umbrae: go underground & protest.

tao51

Oh, my...

I picture myself leading an underground cell of tarot activists! We secretly gather and divine the fall of the oppresive regime. ACK!
We have been found!!! A snitch has ratted us out! Quickly activate cloaking device and change room into Mah Jongg Parlour. Suddenly, Laser beam secretly brands snitch and intruders. Now its my imagination and I can have all the secret devices I want!--Tao

Logiatrix

Re: Oh, my...

tao51 said:
I picture myself leading an underground cell of tarot activists! We secretly gather and divine the fall of the oppresive regime. ACK!
We have been found!!! A snitch has ratted us out! Quickly activate cloaking device and change room into Mah Jongg Parlour. Suddenly, Laser beam secretly brands snitch and intruders. Now its my imagination and I can have all the secret devices I want!--Tao
LMAO!!! :laugh:
I want to be a tarot activist!
Heck, why wait?
Tarot Activists Unite!!!
:cool: