If you could only have one book - what would it be?

buddhagoddess

As a beginner, I am borrowing some books from my friend. But I would like to have a good book of my own. I have several decks, each coming with their own book (not LWB). If you could recommend just one book that would cover all the basic meanings, spreads, history, etc... what would it be?

To put it another way, if there was a fire in your tarot library and you could only run out of the house with one book, what would you grab?

If it helps at all, I have the Sacred Circle, Revelations, Haindl, TdM, Roots of Asia, Quest, and Cat People Tarots.

Strange2

buddhagoddess said:
if there was a fire in your tarot library and you could only run out of the house with one book, what would you grab?

Given that scenario, I would grab Tarot Symbolism, by Robert O'Neill. Not only is this a rare book (although just recently reprinted), but this was the book that really got me seriously into the study of Tarot.

Aleister Crowley's Book of Thoth is another essential Tarot book for me, that continues to teach and inspire me. But the Book of Thoth is readily available, and is recommended (advanced) reading for any Tarot enthusiast.

lark

I'm a big believer in having the book that goes with your favorite deck...if there is a book that is.
If I grabbed my Robin Wood Deck in the fire I'd grab my Robin Wood book.

I counted all of my Tarot Books just for you buddhagoddess and I have 106...
And I think as just plain study books go I would take The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer.
I used that one a lot!
And it not only has excellent reversed meanings, but upright too.
So it's a good all around study book for tarot..... in my opinion any how.

coyoteblack

tarot for a new generation or forrrest of souls depending on how i felt maybe power tarot

i was a book work before i got into tarot so this is a tough question where most folk might grab many decks i would just grab my druid craft and go more for the books

buddhagoddess

Lark, that is a serious collection you have there. I wish I could see a picture of where you keep all of them. It's funny you pick that book - I have not been very keen or interested in learning how to read reversals. My friend doesn't really do it and I have heard from other people who say you don't have to. I think for me it is a little laziness too because there is so much to learn when the cards are upright. I will definitely keep this book in mind though, it does seem to be a favorite for that topic. Thanks.

lark

I have a big double door closet just for tarot and it has six big shelves in it.
Shelf 1 has all my oracle decks and books.
Shelf 2 are all my non-illustrated pip decks with books
Shelf 3 historical and marseille decks and books
Shelf 4 all my other tarot books
Shelf 5 all my illustrated decks and books
Shelf 6 is for candles and all my odds and ends related to doing readings.

It's a tarot closet of wonders and delights! :)

If you are interested in learning right off the bat how to read intuitivly... A Magical Course in Tarot by Michele Morgan ..is well magical..one of my all time favorites.

And for plain old down and dirty meanings and a few spreads~ Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis... was one that I also kept handy for years.

gorgeousbutterfly

learning the tarot by joan bunning

Grizabella

Sulis said:
If I were recommending a book for a beginner it would be Teresa Michelsen's 'Complete Tarot Reader' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Ta...04342/ref=sr_11_1/202-0521437-5362251?ie=UTF8

But personally, the book that is always off my bookshelf is 'Tarot your everyday Guide' by Janina Renee - it's about reading cards for advise and I find the interpretations very useful.

I agree. This is a very good book and I think I got more out of it that made sense than I did out of many beginner's books.

jackdaw*

"Tarot" by Jane Lyle. That's for a straight-out-of-the-box learn to read the Tarot book.