Help with the Temperance card please

Bronwyn1

I keep getting the Temperance card in relationship readings. I always have thought of this card as having patience and "blending" until you get it right. Any other thoughts?

Vadella

Do you read with reversals? I am thinking because it is an ex that the two of you have tried to reconcile the differences and make things work but couldn't. It's a card about a harmonic balance... moderation... doing so patiently so that you can come together perfectly. If one upsets the balance by being impatient then it all falls apart.

Thirteen

nancyk said:
I keep getting the Temperance card in relationship readings for my ex. I always have thought of this card as having patience and "blending" until you get it right. Any other thoughts?
I'm a little confused. Do you mean readings about how your relationship is with your ex? And that relationship is currently bad? If so, do you have to have any sort of relationship with him?

Given that you do...what position is Temperance in when you do these readings? If it's outcome or future, it could imply that the rocky situation between the two of you will get better. That you will be more "temperate"--that is, one or both of you will cut the wine with water and have a less potent brew (cut the anger with understanding?).

Understand that Temperance does mean patience--but only patience when it comes to achieving a goal. And that goal is usually to get a "third" chemical out of the mix. It's not a matter of blending, per se. If you put oil and vinegar together, you can blend them into a salad dressing...but let that salad dressing sit for a while and the two ingredients will separate. That's not what Temperance wants.

Temperance wants *TRANSFORMATION*. Temperane wants to make the oil and vinegar bond into a completely different, third element that will never come apart. Temperance wants, for example, to take oxygen and hydrogen and transform them into water. Hence, it is the card of the patient and persistent chemist who finds the right measurements so that the two halves become a third, different creation.

And so the card may well be telling you to be patient and keep working on getting the right elements in the right proportion when you're with your ex...because eventually the right amount of the right stuff will transform your relationship from acrimonious to harmonious.

BLFO

I used to believe that Temperance meant that people reconciled already, but I learned out the hard way when nothing happened when I was estranged with a particular person, except that I was changing my attitudes and/or actions so maybe we can have a positive interaction in the future.

Sophie

Thirteen said:
And so the card may well be telling you to be patient and keep working on getting the right elements in the right proportion when you're with your ex...because eventually the right amount of the right stuff will transform your relationship from acrimonious to harmonious.
I agree - there is a lot of trial and error in this card, and it tells us to keep trying until we get it right - a bit like Edison and his hundreds of failed lightbulbs, until he found the right formula. It also tells us to learn from our mistakes - don't repeat the same failed formula or use ingredients that aren't working!

How long it takes? Well, how long's a piece of string. It can take weeks, months, years...it all depends on the people involved and their evolution. A relationship is a dynamic thing, and one person alone can't change it.

Vadella

Fudugazi said:
It also tells us to learn from our mistakes - don't repeat the same failed formula or use ingredients that aren't working!

I like this. :)

Thirteen

Fudugazi said:
It also tells us to learn from our mistakes - don't repeat the same failed formula or use ingredients that aren't working!
I like this too! How many of us--or people we know--keep doing the same wrong things over and over again, stubbornly refusing to see or believe that it just doesn't work?

It's one of the hardest lessons to learn/teach, and yet one of the most important. It not only transforms the mix (and the outcome), but it transforms the one doing the mixing.

Bronwyn1

Temperance always seems to fall in an outcome position, but I don't know.

Melanchollic

Without the 'specifics', specific interpretations can not be made. The question, the position in the spread, the background of the situation, the cards around Temperance must be considered to come to correct judgement.

I might suggest that Temperance has a great breadth of meaning beyond just the moderation of the appetites.

The Summa Theologica lists several aspects of Temperance: chastity, continence, humility, gentleness, mildness, studiousness, and of course, moderation of food and drink.

I usually interpret the Virtue Trumps to suggest that a given Virtue is needed, so this can suggest there is a quality of intemperance: unchastity, incontinence, pride, uninhibited wrath, curiosity, and excess of food and drink.

Without details, it is impossible to say what this card means in your specific case.

Does your ex eat or drink in excess? He may need help.

Do you still have feelings for him? They may need to be 'tempered'.

Do you hold uninhibited anger toward him? Humility may be needed?

Since your divorce, have either of you been promiscuous? This may need to be moderated.

Bronwyn1

I'm the on-fire, do then think,