I ordered these playing cards today!

room

mac22 said:
I'm in fine company Umbrae uses the same deck

Oh well, I had a narrow escape then.

room

I just discovered two old packs of playing cards. Possibly 25 years old or so.

One is a blue Bicycle pack and the other is a Delta Air Lines deck from Las
Vegas--someone gave it to me I guess because I've never been to Las
Vegas.

They are kind of grungy and yellowed on the edges. The Delta one seems to have white cardstock with a greenish tinge.

My problem is that the grunge would put me off. I like clean, new cards, so just as well I have the facsimile deck on order.

I think these old boys might be fun to transform though, similar to Artist Trading Cards. I am having great fun making bookmarks from the extra cards in my new weather deck, so maybe I can do something with these.

room

Someone I'm trading with is very kindly sending me a new deck of playing cards. Yummy.

Then I received my facsimile of the Civil War Illuminated deck--this is a very handsome deck. Then the two old decks of my own that I'm redecorating myself.

I got a history book with full-colour pictures of playing cards and started looking at Somerville for something different but antique-y looking.

Found these two and ordered them:

Somerville #14455 - the EISBERGFREISTADT playing cards--very neat looking.

Also a short article on them here with samples:
http://www.kahnselesnick.com/store.htm

Also bought the Claude Weisbuch playing cards--liked the art. #12765 at Somerville.

So unless something scathingly brilliant comes along I think I've got a well-rounded selection for using with the Personal Prophesy book.

SunChariot

Hey I have received both my Key to the Kingdom deck and my Colors of the Four Seasons decks since starting this thread. And I want to thank you all for all the wonderful answers.

I have since learnt how to read playing cards, and I read both decks first as regular playing cards, THEN I add in what I see intuitively in the images to flesh things out. They have both been amazing for me!

Thank you all SO much!!!

Bar

room

SunChariot said:
Hey I have received both my Key to the Kingdom deck and my Colors of the Four Seasons decks since starting this thread.

Wonderful, I'm glad they're working out for you and you bought ones you really enjoy.

So we can't tempt you further??? Rats.

pippi

My mom recently gifted me with a beautiful deck of transformation playing cards titled simply "Antique Playing Cards". I had a heckuva time finding them online, but I see now that they look the same as the Goethe cards, but they're not by Lo Scarabeo. They're from B. Shackman & Co., and they have different backs. Here's the version I have:

http://www.shackman.eu/product_info.php?cPath=700&products_id=40

Couldn't find an English website that had this deck featured. Do I just have an older version of the deck when it was printed with another company?

I love these cards, they're so lovely. (That Ace of Spades is so beautifully haunting!) But I'm not sure what to do with them. I'd love to use them for cartomancy, but the images don't really fit in with the method I've been learning. I guess I could just read them as an oracle, reading what I see in the images. For those who have this deck...do you use it for reading? And how?

celticnoodle

that deck does look very pretty! I don't see why you cannot read with them as an oracle with the pictures they show--just try it. If it works-great! If not, well, you can always just use them to play regular card games, or to look at.

which way of cartomancy do you use? I had learned a way of cartomancy that just used a regular deck of cards, no decoration on them at all. If you are up to 'learning' yet another way-you could always do that for this deck.

pippi

I'm using the Personal Prophecy method, using regular playing cards without illustrations. But many of the meanings for certain cards don't match the illustrations in this deck.

celticnoodle

oh yes. I am familiar with that way. I've tried to use that myself once in awhile, but I tend to end up putting my deck away and pulling out the 78 cards again.