I ordered these playing cards today!

SunChariot

Just getting into reading playing cards. I bought these today and I find them so pretty I thought I would share--just ordered them online...They're Japanese photographs.

Now all I have to do is try not to read the imagery and just stick to the meanings...LOL

Anyone else have any pretty or unusual playing card decks they want to share?

Bar

Attachments

• mine2.jpg
    mine2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 232

Annabelle

Oh, those are lovely, SunChariot!

My favorite deck of playing cards is the Colors of the Four Seasons, which you can see some of here:

http://www.nomonet.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=C4S-R

(just click on More Pictures underneath the image to scroll through some pictures of the cards)

SunChariot

Yours too! They're stunning. Thanks for sharing them. I love the colours. I wonder if anyone actually uses these playing cards with images as an Oracle. I think some days I might, but usually just use them as playing cards.

I am fascinated by the lovely artwork some of them have!

Bar

room

I have 29 playing card decks. I am particularly interested in transformation cards, where the suit symbols are made into pictures.

My favourites of these are:

The Key to the Kingdom Transformation Playing Cards
Art for the Earth Transformation Deck
Under the Sea Transformation Deck

I was just looking at them today. It's unfortunate that transformation decks only seem to be popular in the UK at the minute.

SunChariot

Thank you! I never heard of transformation decks, but I love the ones you mentioned and the concept of them. Definitely need some of those. LOL

Bar

room

U.S. Games put out a book:

Transformation Playing Cards by Albert Field, 1987, ISBN 0880790334.

I bought a used copy of this. It doesn't have the more recent cards, but interesting information. Somerville has a pack called the Goethe Transformation pack, which has nothing to do with Goethe but is a reproduction of the Jeanne d'Arc transformation cards from Goethe's time. I've got those too.

It's interesting how improvements in printing techniques and lower costs for colour have changed transformation packs, just like tarot cards. Today's artists are much more inventive in design of transformation cards.

Pete Wood has done several decks--some in black and white, and a transformation deck of Teddy Bears, and deck called 2000 Pips and one designed for Newt's Novelties called the Wild! deck. He calls the latter two "semi-transformation" decks because he has been more creative with suit symbols and they aren't in their usual arrangement. He is a wonderful artist.

There are a few other facsimile packs too but I prefer the newer ones. I wish they were more popular.

SunChariot

I looked too, could not find a lot of places (any places) in North America selling them...

Bar

room

Somerville has the Under the Sea deck and I bought the Art for the Earth deck from InterCol in London (UK) a couple of years ago.

The Key to the Kingdom has had two editions I believe and the second one seemed to sell out really quickly. I got it from Chapters or Amazon.ca. last year I think. It went really quickly, it has a nice hardcover book with poems as well as the deck.

6 Haunted Days

Didn't the Keys to the Kingdom have a contest with the 1st edition? Something to do with uncovering a hidden rhyme? Ok well I found a slight mention of it here... http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/nov98/keys.htm

I really want those Goethe cards. Looooove.

Also my favourite playing cards are The Picture Book Of Ana Cortez. I was going to include the link to their website, but it seems to not be anymore! So here is a link to some pics... http://www.wopc.co.uk/usa/oracles.html. The whole set is just wonderful and I have very in-depth and astounding reading sessions with them.