21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card...WOW!!!

Sorrowsbane

Would this be a good book for a beginner, or do you think it might be a bit overwhelming and better suited for a little farther down the road in my studies?

dadsnook2000

For Sorrowsbane

What is a beginner? You note in your profile that you have too many decks to list them all. If you collect decks, peruse them frequently, and have a strong sense of what you like and why you like them, then you may not be a beginner in the sense of one who is not familiar with tarot.

If you don't know how to use spreads, and if you can't put together a 3-card or five-card story telling what the cards mean, then you are a beginner.

If you know what you like in tarot decks, if you can read a 3-card spread, if you like to read and study and have a degree of persistence, then you could try the apprentice level. Or, you could follow-read the first six or seven steps in the apprentice level and see if it feels comfortable. Remember, you can go at your own pace, others are available to help. If you don't feel comfortable now, then wait a month or two -- we'll be here. Dave

Sorrowsbane

dadsnook2000 said:
What is a beginner?

Thank you, Dave. You hit the nail on the head, as they say. I have far fewer decks than I used to (and I've updated my profile, so thanks for that nudge!), but I am familiari with a number of Rider-Waite styled decks. I find that I can read fairly well, as long as I have a book (or two) by my side to consult.

I'll check this book out and see if I'm ready for it. Thanks for your help.

Stephanie

Jewel

Sorrowsbane said:
Thank you, Dave. You hit the nail on the head, as they say. I have far fewer decks than I used to (and I've updated my profile, so thanks for that nudge!), but I am familiari with a number of Rider-Waite styled decks. I find that I can read fairly well, as long as I have a book (or two) by my side to consult.
Sorrowbane, 21 Ways is suitable for beginners, intermediates, and advanced alike, in my opinion. There is something here for everyone.

This book teaches you how to look at cards, how to really see what is there. It also gives you a foundation in things such as deck structure, numerology, elemental correspondences, among other things, and how to put it all together with your intuition. The book really helps you build confidence in your abilities, while teaching you at the same time. A true gift. I wish this book had been available when I started out with tarot. What you learn here will allow you to put down the "crutches" when you read, and let you enjoy the experience.

As Dave said, this is a book you work on at your own pace, and the members of the study group are great about encouraging, discussing, and helping you along.

21 Ways is a journey. You will get out of it what you put in regardless of your level of knowledge.

ETA: This book is about breaking down barriers and pre-conceived notions, and "quick" interpretations. If you are new to tarot and do not have any of these habits, then it will help you develop into a strong reader without having to unlearn some of the other habits.