DuQuette's book on the Thoth

planetmoon

I don't know whether a thread exists elsewhere, however I just wanted to say how impressed I am with DuQuette's book on the Thoth.

It is cool, calm, knowledgeable, funny and authoritative IMHO. For me, it is to the Thoth what Rachel Pollack's book - and that is a blinder - is to the RWS.

If the Thoth is your cup of tea, as a work colleague said to me when he saw me on this forum looking over the shoulder onto my computer, then this is a book WELL worth owning!

Mariana

You will find that this book is mentioned often in the Thoth subforum. I have the impression most die-hard Thothers here would agree with you that Duquette is the best introduction to the Thoth deck.

planetmoon

It sure is, it is a good route into the Thoth, I don't want this book to end! But then that is how I felt with the Pollack '78 Degrees of Wisdom'. What I like about it is how it wants - the Duquette - to get under the not inconsiderable and yet thick skin of Crowley.

gregory

It is BRILLIANT. :thumbsup:

And for those in need of kabalah training - his Chicken Qabala does the same for that and also has you on the floor laughing yourself helpless..... not something you'd expect from such a complex subject !

planetmoon

I will look out for the Chicken, I have seen it in a large esoteric bookshop. Thank you.

Elizabeth Genco

Chicken is WELL worth your time, if only because it will actually give you a solid footing on which to begin to comprehend things that are by themselves incredibly abstract.

I remember reading it for the first time at the International Tarot Congress in 2002, and thanking Lon profusely for writing it. Gushing, really!

gregory

And even if you don't "get" it after reading it, it is funnier than most TV !

Elizabeth Genco

This is an incredibly good point. :)