Apps versus physical decks

tarotcognito

Hi all,

A few posts in another thread about carrying decks around with us touched on the subject of Tarot and Rune apps and the like, and I was just wondering... to those who use apps when you're on the go, do you get the same kind of feel / connection as you would with an actual physical Tarot deck / set of Runes? I've never really been one for apps in general - I don't own a mobile or cell or other on-the-go gizmo - so I'm really curious how those who do use Tarot / Rune apps feel about them.

Thanks for sharing! :)

OlympusMons

I tried a couple of apps but got nowhere with them at all. It feels like a connection is missing or something. Just doesn't feel right.

RunningWild

Hi all,

A few posts in another thread about carrying decks around with us touched on the subject of Tarot and Rune apps and the like, and I was just wondering... to those who use apps when you're on the go, do you get the same kind of feel / connection as you would with an actual physical Tarot deck / set of Runes? I've never really been one for apps in general - I don't own a mobile or cell or other on-the-go gizmo - so I'm really curious how those who do use Tarot / Rune apps feel about them.

Thanks for sharing! :)

I have a couple on an ipod that I rarely use. I prefer the physical deck, I can pick up a card and examine it, and my non-digital eyes don't have to worry about pixilation.

gregory

How many here do ACTUALLY use tarot apps ? I have a reason for asking (I don't even have anything that runs them, but I know someone who has an interest....)

Sword King

I have two or three deck apps on my phone as well as .pdf files of deck images for use with my reader apps. I use all of these for contemplation/meditation/study. I can't see reading with them, but that's just me. I need to feel the cards, shuffle the cards, and cut the cards.

tarotcognito

Hmmm. Interesting. It seems from the replies so far that the digital medium runs some sort of interference. So would it be a fair assumption to say that these apps aren't really taken all that seriously by most people - just something to pass the time or fiddle with in the subway and whatnot?

cirom

I am neutral on this issue in so far as I have produced both "real" decks or better to refer to them as "physical" decks, and I've produced apps, so I am not pushing any particular agenda.

Nevertheless to simply compare apps to the "real" thing and then dismiss them as lacking is a somewhat simplified conclusion. I think you have to define what you expect from an app, or what you assume that an app is capable of doing. Of course they may not have the touchy feely intimacy of a physical deck, just as e-books/apps don't have the smell and feel of a nice leather bound book. But part of the evaluation must address content, the story, the information, and how its presented. An e-book of Jane Austin, or your favourite poet may seem technically cold and somehow inappropriate, but how about if that e-book not only allowed you to read the poetry, but also offered the option of that poetry being read to you by its author? How about that e-book or app that offered the ability through addition text, audio, video to better explain, teach and generally convey the information, from a technical reference book to..... tarot cards. How about if the e-book or app had the ability to zoom in and show the images at sizes and detail even greater than the real deck. Surely such capacity would be useful for study or meditation, and are criterea that should be also be considered. Or that the readings spreads YOU can generate "through" them (not random creations "BY" them) can be captured visually, saved for future reference and comparison, and be e-mailed to a client or friend. In my opinion that adds up to a lot more than just a novelty to fiddle around with for passing away the time on the subway.

I designed my apps to offer all those features. I didn't however design them to produce cheesy generalized canned readings. That kind of thing, I do find quite silly. But when viewed as a "tool" in the hands of a human reader. I consider apps a worthy alternative either for back up, convenience and in some circumstances publicly more discrete.

With all that said, not all apps are made equal, what each is capable of varies considerably. But overall they shouldn't be dismissed to quickly in their entirety.

gregory

Fair comment ! I do at times use Orphalese, which could be called a SORT of app, in a way, though I do interpret the cards myself ! - in that if there are real disadvantages it would have them too. I am seriously interested in how MANY here do go for apps, though, as I assume if they DO, they like them, for whatever reason !

Amanda

I have a tarot app. It was created by a member here I think, winkee. I really like it. It's not something I reach for to read for others though. It's mainly a personal thing for me to do when a physical deck isn't in reach... most often used in the car while I'm waiting.

RexMalaki

Though I agree that the feel of an app-reading is not the same, my experience says that they can be just as accurate!

And they are a useful study tool...I am using two apps on my iPhone currently, but I still carry my main deck with me in my messenger bag.