EDSG #4 - 10 Swords, 6 Wands, Ace Cups

rwcarter

For this next set of cards we have 10 Swords, 6 Wands and Ace Cups - AFW. Air and Fire are active while Water is passive.

According to my notes from the SuperTarot website, AFW is predominantly active. As the Fire and Water cards weaken each other, Air is considered to be the strongest card. Fire is active and supported by Air, so the event is likely to happen, but with emotional turmoil or a complete disregard for feelings.

FWA is also predominantly active. Again, Air would be the strongest card as the Fire and Water cards weaken each other. Water is likely to be pulled in different directions, being stirred up or channeled in directions that it doesn't want to go.

WAF is also predominantly active. As with the other two triads, Air is the strongest card as Fire and Water weaken each other and whatever Air represents is likely to happen. The triad represents a thought or idea that's trying to reconcile conflicting actions and feelings.

Work/Career
AFW - Getting the promotion (6W) by sabotaging one of your co-workers (and friend) (10S) leaves you with a guilty conscience, putting a damper on things (AC).
FWA - Your feelings (AC) are in conflict with your desire to be successful (6W), leaving you wondering if you can do whatever it takes to get there (10S).
WAF - You threw your co-worker under the bus (10S) so that you could win (6W) despite your friendship (AC).

Relationships
AFW - Getting the girl (6W) through treachery (10S) has no effect on your conscience.
FWA - You desire him (AC), but can you do what it will take (10S) to get him (6W)?
WAF - He cheated on you (10S) leaving you in such emotional turmoil (AC) that you can't see that you're better off without him (6W).

Finances
AFW - You got a much bigger refund (6W) by cheating on your taxes (10S), leaving you feeling a little bit guilty (but not enough).
FWA - You want to improve your finances (AC) but can only think of illegal means to do so (10S), leaving you to wonder if it's really worth it (6W).
WAF - You ruined many people's lives (10S) in order to get their money (6W), leaving turmoil in your wake.

Home
AFW - Your neighbors see a happy and successful family (6W), but behind closed doors there's arguments/abuse (10S) and tears (AC).
FWA - Your desire (AC) to provide for your family by doing whatever it takes (10S) appears to be working, but are they really happy (6W)?
WAF - An unhappy household because one person's conscience (AC) is at odds with the other person's ambition to succeed (6W).

Attachments

• AT EDSG #4 - AFW.jpg
    AT EDSG #4 - AFW.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 362
  • AT EDSG #4 - FWA.jpg
    AT EDSG #4 - FWA.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 342
  • AT EDSG #4 - WAF.jpg
    AT EDSG #4 - WAF.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 317

shadowdancer

Okay, deep breath, I am diving in :)

I have read your opening description Rodney, then looked away. Not that I don't appreciate your interpretations, but I wanted to try it out for myself and then compare. Otherwise, I know I will learn nothing and not have the confidence to follow through with this for myself.

If I have an air/fire/water triad, I too see this as being mmmm, a semblence of some stength when reading from the central card. A) it is an active card (always going to give it some oomph and energy) and although it is at loggerheads with the water, B) the air is supportive and may help maintain some of that energy.

If we have the fire/water/air triad, the central card I seeing as a bit weak and wussy. It is outgunned on two counts A) the fire card will cancel out some of its effect. B) It is passive so needs a flanker to really support it. Sadly, the flanker is also active, albeit fairly friendly, so it is a bit stand alonish and feeling sorry for itself. With air doing its best to kick it up the rear by way of support.

If we have the water/air/fire triad, Air is quite capable on two counts, but may not have as much strength or influence as it would have liked to have had. A) It is active (see above) and B) has an ally in the fire card. If the fire card can stop bickering with the water card it will be stronger still. If fire and water keep battling between themselves, the air influence is neutralised a little, with the ray of hope being the fact it is an active card in general.

I will go on and do some interpretations later today or tomorrow. I have deferred doing a work out to answer this, and I know guilt will kick in if I totally cancel the workout :)

shadowdancer

Okay, workout done. Am now resembling a radioactive tomato, so will cool down by typing up my first thoughts, using the Relationship issue with the three options:

AFW
"The initial feeling of achievement has been dampened down, with someone finding emtions are not what they perhaps were when things were at their best. That feeling of fulfillment can be resurrected if the relationship is not viewed as an occasion for someone to get one up on the other"

FWA
"By being excessively emotional, you risk losing out on something that could be achievable and successful. By seeing the worst in another, or being suspicious of motives may mean you never move on from taking a first step. Life is about taking the rough with the smooth, so you need to stop simpering."

WAF
"There is a chance to dust down and brush off an issue that has caused distress, but this needs someone to realise the rational needs to take the upper hand over the emotional, and to not see winning the day as being the be all and end all. In any case, any perceived victory is likely to be a hollow one."

Okay, I realise these are a bit long winded. I just type as I think.

Rodney, I have read your takes, and I think I need to try and use 50 words instead of 500 :)

Here goes....

AFW
"Is the stress of getting your partner, worth the changes that will result on an emotional level?"

FWA
"Emotions may be abound, as you realise you do not have the upper hand in the relationship, this leaving you feeling empty and desolate"

WAF
"You are seen as a prize catch, with your emotional needs taken secondary importance as they take another step in cutting your confidence and belief in yourself".

How did I do Rodney :) Am I on the right track here with how I approach this??

Davina

rwcarter

Rodney, I have read your takes, and I think I need to try and use 50 words instead of 500 :)

Here goes....
Whew! Cause I had a lot of questions! :p

AFW
"Is the stress of getting your partner, worth the changes that will result on an emotional level?"
I think you've interpreted the cards as ""Is the stress of getting your partner,(6W) worth the changes that will result (10S) on an emotional level?" (AC) >> I << don't see the AC's negative interaction with the 6W resulting in "stress", but that doesn't mean that the interpretation is invalid. I might've seen stress with the 9C or 10C interacting with the 6W. I would've left out the part about stress and just said, "Is getting your partner (6W) worth the changes (10S) that will result on an emotional level? (AC)"

FWA
"Emotions may be abound, as you realise you do not have the upper hand in the relationship, this leaving you feeling empty and desolate"
I like that one!

WAF
"You are seen as a prize catch, with your emotional needs taken secondary importance as they take another step in cutting your confidence and belief in yourself".
"You are seen as a prize catch (6W?), with your emotional needs taken secondary importance (AC?) as they take another step in cutting your confidence and belief in yourself". (10S?) That would be WFA, which is effectively the same as your first triad (WFA and AFW are equal). If you see the 10S as being a prize catch, that definitely needs some 'splaining, Lucy. 'Splain it. :D

How did I do Rodney :) Am I on the right track here with how I approach this??

Davina
Generally, I think it's helpful to all involved, including those who are learning how to interpret triads, to associate which part of the triad is being reflected in which part of the interpretation. If I'm right above about you providing a WFA interpretation instead of the WAF, I think you could've avoided that by linking the element/card to the interpretation. But overall I think you did a really good job, and I really like your FWA interpretation!

Rodney

shadowdancer

Rodney, I have no way of explaining how I come up with some stuff :D I just type it as it comes to mind if it makes sense :D

I am new to this, as you can tell. I do try to see the central card as the main one if that makes sense, and then read outwards. After that, I see how the flankers relate to each other to see if it leaves the central card supported, weakened or standing alone. I realise this is something I need to do more of, in order to really get a grip with it. I visualise it as a playground dynamic at times. Some at logger heads, some having strong support from onlookers, others having lesser support as they try to be neutral, but feel pressured to taking one side. It sort of works in my head that way.

I have re-read this one:

AFW

The partner is the central card (6W/fire) the stress being the (10S/air) and the emotional level (AC/W) I think overall the answer may be yes, as the central card is strong (tis active), as it is supported by the air (also active), and just about cancels out the water. If it had been earth or coin card instead of air, the water card would have had an ally. So it is a question to consider, as the central card is not totally dominant. Strong yes, but not dominant. Not whilst it has a scrap going on with water.

You are right about the final attempt of mine. I should have read the central card (air) primarily and then saw how the flanking cards affected that. I had the cards laid out in front of me, but writing it does set the layout and would make me realise if I am going along an incorrect tangent.

Hope others do dive in.

My school report on this? 2C. Good effort, but needs more work :D

shadowdancer

Okay, had a rethink on the WAF combo:

"You may be feeling as though things have been the worst they have ever been in the relationship (10S) but by supporting and encouraging each other / the other person (6W) it is possible to keep emotional outbursts at bay. (AC)"

In this case, I focussed on the crowd in the background and not the character on the horse.

If I focussed on the dude on the horse, it could be:
"You may be feeling as though things have been the worst they have ever been in the relationship (10S) but if the focus is changed to what has been achieved or what could be achieved (6W) emotional eruptions could be minimised (AC).

rwcarter

I like both of those!

shadowdancer

thank ye kind sire :)

Most of my face to face readings at the festivals I read, are to do with relationships, which is why I homed in on that aspect.

merissa_88

I am new to this, as you can tell. I do try to see the central card as the main one if that makes sense, and then read outwards. After that, I see how the flankers relate to each other to see if it leaves the central card supported, weakened or standing alone. I realise this is something I need to do more of, in order to really get a grip with it. I visualise it as a playground dynamic at times. Some at logger heads, some having strong support from onlookers, others having lesser support as they try to be neutral, but feel pressured to taking one side. It sort of works in my head that way.

shadowdancer, I'm pretty much the same way except that I learned to read EDs in pairs so I'm always looking for the conflict that ill-dignifies the main card first. More recently, I learned to add a third card that either reinforces or bridges the opposing elements (if there are any).

Still working on the work AFW triad.

"The initial feeling of achievement has been dampened down, with someone finding emtions are not what they perhaps were when things were at their best. That feeling of fulfillment can be resurrected if the relationship is not viewed as an occasion for someone to get one up on the other"

My interpretation is pretty close to shadow dancer's except that I see the action the person needs to take as lightening up (10 of Swords).

rwcarter, thanks for mentioning the SuperTarot website. I'm glad there is a list I can go back to about each triad and whether it's active or passive. I'm still interpreting active to mean fast-moving, unless the cards really don't say that. This is something that works in my readings but I don't know if this is how most people do this. I may change my way of reading this as the class goes on.

jenessa

I do try to see the central card as the main one if that makes sense, and then read outwards. After that, I see how the flankers relate to each other to see if it leaves the central card supported, weakened or standing alone. I realise this is something I need to do more of, in order to really get a grip with it. I visualise it as a playground dynamic at times. Some at logger heads, some having strong support from onlookers, others having lesser support as they try to be neutral, but feel pressured to taking one side. It sort of works in my head that way.
Thanks for posting this analogy, it really resonates with me!

Also many/many thanks for jumping in, I have learned a great deal in the course of pondering what you posted.