1jj

Antonius

Florentine boxed 1JJ

Interesting thread, I love this deck and have several editions including, Waddingtons 1970, a 1960s Whemans Bro's edition in red slip case, but my all time favorite is the 1JJ in gold Florentine box, the deck is pretty much the standard 1jj but comes presented in this really weird somewhat crudely made gold box, this was available from around the 1970s from Waddingtons and as far as Im aware there are a few different versions of this box type,
mine has pics of the Cavalier and Page of Batons on either side of box.

Would like to know if anybody else owns this gold box set and what pictures are on it. ?

Its funny just how many different ways this 1JJ deck was packaged back in the 70s including a Denim cloth pouch to clip onto your flared jeans belt, I have that one as well.

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 142

Debra

Ah ha, mystery solved. I saw one of those on e-bay and wondered about the box. Lovely!

Dancing Bear

What a lovely box that is Antonius much better looking than the one I have..
I have the one with sun on it.

It is such a nice deck!

sapienza

I'm seriously considering getting myself a copy of this deck. I'm keeping my eye out for an older edition with the French titles. I look forward to having it one day :)

sapienza

Well I managed to find myself a copy of the 1JJ Swiss on ebay and it arrived today. What a lovely deck! The copy I recieved is in the gold bottom box, has AG Muller on the base, no mention of US Games on the box, but the LWB has US Games and 1970. The cards are definitely used, and have a bend to them, but they feel nice and shuffle well. The backs are a darker brown than I was expecting too. Oh, and I thought that they all had a US Games copyright on them and so was thrilled to discover that the cards I recieved don't have it.

I've read most of the threads I could find on this deck and remember Le Fanu saying in one of them that it was a very atmospheric deck.....and I must agree. The pips are wonderful, I especially love the batons. The Empress is absolutely gorgeous, the Moon is divine and I'm rather fond of Jupiter too. I'm certainly looking forward to using them.

Le Fanu

sapienza said:
Well I managed to find myself a copy of the 1JJ Swiss on ebay and it arrived today. What a lovely deck! The copy I recieved is in the gold bottom box, has AG Muller on the base, no mention of US Games on the box, but the LWB has US Games and 1970. The cards are definitely used, and have a bend to them, but they feel nice and shuffle well. The backs are a darker brown than I was expecting too. Oh, and I thought that they all had a US Games copyright on them and so was thrilled to discover that the cards I recieved don't have it.

I've read most of the threads I could find on this deck and remember Le Fanu saying in one of them that it was a very atmospheric deck.....and I must agree. The pips are wonderful, I especially love the batons. The Empress is absolutely gorgeous, the Moon is divine and I'm rather fond of Jupiter too. I'm certainly looking forward to using them.

Oh, so glad you didn't listen to the de-enablers! This one is a keeper and the keystone to any historic collection.

Funny, I packed away my 1JJ Swiss deck into its proper box this week. It had always been among my favourites but I realised I don't really use it to read anymore, I just like to keep it at hand for nostalgia purposes! And I thought the bag it was in could be better used! Yours sounds identical to mine, right down to the slight bend. I managed to (almost) get rid of this by bending each card individually in the opposite direction.

But it really is special. What I must have meant about it being atmospheric is that I always imagined this is how tarot cards should be. This for me is the definitive tarot deck, full of mystery and magic, slightly spooky (there is no bettter Death card out there). That beautiful Moon card with the serenading man and that lovely face on the Moon. So unlike any other Moon card. I love those cards - like this and the Chariot - which seem to be split in half. I love everything about this deck (even the drunk Page of Cups!), but I think it has now had to take a bit of a back seat because of all the lovely Soprafino/ engraved decks currently available. There was a time in the 70s when the 1JJ Swiss was one of only two historical decks you could buy!

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
Oh, so glad you didn't listen to the de-enablers!

:laugh: Do I ever listen to the de-enablers???

Seriously though, I'm so glad to have it now. I spent more time looking at it last night and it's quite amazing how much it draws you in. I'm just so glad I managed to get an older edition.

ihcoyc

Le Fanu said:
There was a time in the 70s when the 1JJ Swiss was one of only two historical decks you could buy!

Yes - and the 1JJ was fortunately ubiquitous back then. It was the deck that could usually be found on the shelves of the Spencer Gifts at the mall, which was where mine was acquired, at around the age of 14 or 15. (They occasionally had a Rider-Waite, but what you usually found there was a James Bond Tarot of the Witches.) It wasn't until some years after that I lost my virginity, so I still had my psychic powers back then.

And that Death card. The 1JJ was apparently in the prop department of every TV and movie studio (except for the James Bond films, apparently). And since XIII must appear in every scene where Tarot appears, and the RWS Death is nowhere near as telegenic, the 1JJ La Mort is the one Tarot card that everybody my age has seen.