Minchiate - The Emperors

full deck

One difference in the Minchiate between the Marseilles pattern and various other Tarot are the two emperors - the Eastern and Western.

Based upon what research I have found, this appears to be a clear reference to the history of the Roman Empire. "Emperor" was one of the titles of the Roman Empire (Imperator, Imperatrix, masculine and feminine, respectively). The Emperor Gaius Aurelius Valerius Diocletianus (AD 240 - AD 311) is credited with splitting the Roman Empire into two halves, governed by four emperors. This Tetrarchy, or rule of four was entirely new departure from previous models of imperial government in that four emperors would rule the empire. Two Augusti would rule as major emperors -- one in the east and the other in the west. Each Augustus would adopt as his son a junior emperor, a Caesar, who would help rule his half of the empire with him and who be his appointed successor (see: http://www.roman-empire.net/decline/diocletian-index.html ).

Thus Diocletian divided the Roman Empire into East and West. This form of imperial rule became unmanageable in time, but the division of the Empire was permanent by about AD 395.

The "four emperors" are interesting, considering that
" . . . The Empress is featured as a male character, who wears a beard; this is clearly a consequence of the change occurred in Bologna, by which all the subjects from number II (the Popess) to V (the Pope), were turned into four Moors of equal rank . . ."
from http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards17.htm
Thus the "four Moors" seem to reflect the four emperors of history as well. Most commonly known minchiate do not have the four, rather only three seated rulers (II-IIII) which vary in gender, depending upon the deck.

It is interesting to consider that in the marseilles pattern, there are an emperor and empress, rulers in the physical sense and their spiritual counterparts (popesse and pope), thus introducing a quartet of enthroned rulers again but this time quite different in intent than being a mere historical reference to a Eastern/Western, all-male Tetrarchy.

full deck

Pictures attached

Here are the III and IIII, respectively from the Etruria Minchiate. They are almost the exact same in the Fiorentine Minchiate as well.

Attachments

• minch0304.jpg
    minch0304.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 568

lionette

Have been musing on the Emperors today.

As much as I like the Minchiate, it's a bit unsettling to have such a patriarchial troop of 3 Emperor types in the Majors! (I say this with tongue in my cheek)

Interestingly, each of the Emperors looks very similar in dress. All three hold a staff and and world orb. (I made comments about II's lack of facial hair in Papess thread.)

I'm curious why the Western Emperor (III) has 2 heraldic bird creatures (what is that half-bird animal to his left?) while the Eastern Emperor has none. Is this indicative of European attitudes of the time to the East seeming less powerful than the West? (just guessing there, I've nothing to validate that either way) In posture and facial expression, I see no differences to indicate one having more authority.

There's my start :)

Moonbow

Hi all

The Emperors.... I can still not get my head around these two.

This is what Tom Tadfor Little has to say, and it makes alot of sense to me, and may even be the way that I will use these cards:

"The two emperors appear almost to be twins; certainly they look like brothers. In the old Minchiate decks, they are practically indistinguishable. In Williams's renditions, the Eastern Emperor has gray hair and a somewhat more meditative countenance. The main point of distinction between the cards is that the Western Emperor has a live griffon (half lion, half eagle) at his side, a symbol with many heavy Roman connotations. The Eastern Emperor has no mascot at all. Also, the Western Emperor's orb is topped with an eagle, while the Eastern Emperor's orb has an eight-pointed star, a subtle reminder that Jerusalem is within his domain."

I also agree that the Eastern Emperor does look more like a Hierophant or holy man.

This also answers your question lionette about the creature in theWestern Emperor card.

full deck

Left-right . . .

One may also simply observe certain qualities in the Emperors, for example, consider the Western Emperor is holding his scepter in his left hand and has his left leg leading, in front whereas the Eastern Emperor has exactly the opposite configuration.

The Grand Duke is interesting in that there is a combination of the two aspects: The right leg is forward but the scepter in left hand. This implies a blending of both qualities found in the Eastern and Western Emperors. At least there is the pairing and opposite qualities herein of the two emperors that is found in the later Empress/Emperor pairing of the Marseilles pattern.

I am still looking for more information on the left/right hand qualities of our emperors. Though I am somewhat familar with the application of left and right-handed connotations in certain forms of magik, I am simply not certain as to this concepts' application within the minchiate.

More a bit later. . .

Sophie-David

Ancient Minchiate Etruria: Western Emperor & Eastern Emperor

Moonbow* said:
I also agree that the Eastern Emperor does look more like a Hierophant or holy man.
full deck said:
I am still looking for more information on the left/right hand qualities of our emperors. Though I am somewhat familar with the application of left and right-handed connotations in certain forms of magik, I am simply not certain as to this concepts' application within the minchiate.
I find the "imperial twins" of the Ancient Minchiate Etruria quite fascinating! The Western Emperor, with his griffon and eagle, suggests to me that this an image of the raw use of power to assert authority. It suspect that apart from their numerical position our standard Tarot Emperor and the Minchiate Western Emperor are closely related: since the Tarot Emperor represents the Holy Roman Emperor of the Western Empire that became the domain of the Western or Roman Church.

I notice too that the Western Emperor wears a significant amount of orange, a colour shared with the Minchiate suit of Coins, and evoking emotional, social and energetic warmth as well as a degree of practicality. His wand and crown are gold, suggesting the richness, power, authority, nobility and radiance of the sun. As the colour of the second or sacral chakra, orange is an image of duality, suggesting to me that this is Emperor is a master of dualistic reality.

Lastly, I associate the Western Emperor with the West, which in my personal Tarot correspondences equates with Swords, suggesting that this is an aerial Emperor of intellectual, tactical, adversarial and analytical mastery. The bird and birdlike creatures emphasize the connection to the suit of air.

I agree with Moonbow* that the Eastern Emperor is more suggestive of religious leadership, with a more meditative appearance. With the presence of the additional virtues, Hope, Prudence, Faith and Charity, the Eastern Emperor does not need to carry the additional moral and religious meanings which we might otherwise associate with the Pope. There is also no explicit indication of the Eastern Emperor as a Hierophant or teacher, except perhaps by example.

The Eastern Emperor appears to be a more august figure, his purple and red garments appearing more regal than the Western Emperor's orange, beige and green clothing. His power is in a sense more absolute, founded in tradition and divine appointment, rather than the overt use of martial power. The cushions of his chair are red rather than beige, and even the Eastern Emperor's star, sceptre and crown are the colour of ruddy bronze. In the colour red we see the holy fires of divine inspiration, the vigour and blood of deep passion, the red of anger, sunrise and sunset, the power of life over death (martydom and rebirth) and of the basic or cardinal principles of existence. This link provides an excellent reference to the colour red. In the chakral system red refers to the first or Root chakra, referring to one's basic physicality, presence, security, stability and rootedness. This indeed a very grounded and established Emperor.

In the Eastern Emperor's purples, tending towards violets, we see the colour of exalted rulership in both the spiritual and temporal domains. This is the colour of high vision and ideals, of service to the empire or religious realm as an extension of the Self. In the chakral system the purples denote the insight of the Third Eye, with the violets approaching unitive consciousness in the
Crown, suggesting that this Emperor is not only well grounded but spiritually perceptive and receptive.

In the Eastern Emperor's connection with the East, I see a connection with the longer established Orthodox Church, with its particular focus on iconic transformation. This is the mystical and ancient East of the Holy Lands and the other deep rooted cultures of the dawn. My personal Tarot correspondence of the East is with Cups, suggesting to me an Emperor of love, joy, health, feelings, intuition and relationship. However, the only suggestion of water in this card is in the light blue globe and the dark blue shoes. In any event, I think of the Major Arcana as being multidimensional, perhaps focused in one element more than another, but typically more complex and deeper than the Minor suits.

Lastly, in the numerology of the pair, there is a suggestion that the expressive activity and creative expansion of the Western Emperor's III has settled into the stability and foundational stability of the Eastern Emperor's IIII. By their numerological position, the Western Emperor evokes some of the qualities of the Tarot Empress, and the Eastern Emperor suggests a very empowered and entrenched imperial image, with some of the qualities of the Tarot Pope.