3 Card Spreads

Bluebonnet

So, I'm very new to tarot. I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but I'm going to post. I've been doing just plain 3 card spreads with no reversals to keep it simple. On the "your readings" forum, when someone posts a plain 3 card spread, the 3 cards are read differently. Some readers read from left to right like a story. Some read it as a past, present, future.

So, my question is....if you just lay out the cards with no positions intended, how do you know how to read it? For example...lets just put the 8 of cups in the first position. If I read it as a past reading, this person walked away from something in his past. If I read it as just a story, he is currently leaving the situation. How do you know how you're supposed to read it? Do you specifically tell the cards past, present, future spread?

Thanks...B

Sulis

When I lay out a spread with no positional meanings I look at the way the people are facing, whether any of the cards are Majors, whether any of the cards show a huge block etc.... In other words I look at how the energy flows through the spread.
I think it's easier to read like this when you have a fairly good grasp of the cards and you can understand the language they're speaking.
I think it's easier when you're just starting out to use spreads that have positional meanings; that way you have something to pin each card's meaning to and you're not left guessing quite so much.

Bluebonnet

Thanks again Sulis! That makes sense. Just confused me when readers say they automatically put a 3 card spread into past, present, future.

KMilliron

I read three cards a lot. I look for common theme. Want me to pull three right now and try and explain my thought process?

misfitknits

hi bluebonnet! i think what may be confusing you is that most readers already know what positional meanings they are going to give to each card before they lay the cards out (like past, present, future or if they're going to read the cards like a story, or read the "energy" or flow of the cards). but they may not say that in a reading in the forums here. most people, i think, have a favorite three card spread, or quick spread that they use. but it's not that they lay the cards out first and THEN decide what meanings to use, they already know what type of spread & position meanings before they start.

Pam O

KMilliron said:
I read three cards a lot. I look for common theme. Want me to pull three right now and try and explain my thought process?
Of course. We love examples in threads!

Jes

I love 3 card readings.

I find it easier to pull with positions already formed.

there are some great 3 card spreads in the spreads index. Maybe check some out there, and practice using them with the positions and see how you go.

Some of the ones I use all the time are
Past Present Future
Embrace, Let go, Luck
Mind, Body, Spirit,
Strengths, Weaknesses, action/outcome

have a look at the spreads index... and go with what works for you

Amanda

misfitknits said:
but it's not that they lay the cards out first and THEN decide what meanings to use, they already know what type of spread & position meanings before they start.

Actually, I tend to do that. Lay the cards and then figure out how it should be read by whatever pops out at me first.

Glass Owl

It sounds like you may be looking at readings where someone asks a question, pulls a couple of cards to answer it, and then puts them together to tell a story. It is sort of like the cards are like puzzle pieces and you have to look at how they fit together to answer the question at hand. In my opinion, this way of reading is more intuitive and challenging.

In addition, (as I think you are experiencing) undefined positions can make things veru difficult when others are asked to step in and try to help with the reading. Rodney did a great job of explaining this in the fourth post of in this thread.

For instance, Amanda says she like to lay down the cards and see what "pops" out to her. But if you are trying to help with someone reading that is hard because maybe what card would draw your attention first out would be a totally different card. Maybe you don't even have that particular deck on hand so that is going to influence how you perceive the cards as well.

Jes said:
I love 3 card readings.

I find it easier to pull with positions already formed.

there are some great 3 card spreads in the spreads index. Maybe check some out there, and practice using them with the positions and see how you go.

Some of the ones I use all the time are
Past Present Future
Embrace, Let go, Luck
Mind, Body, Spirit,
Strengths, Weaknesses, action/outcome

have a look at the spreads index... and go with what works for you

Just as Jes and others have said, I too find it easier having preassigned position meanings for each card.

Here are a few links for many 3 card spreads if you are interested in them:

2-3 Card Spreads: Part 1 and Part 2

Pam O

Here's one I found in Mark McElroy's book: "What's in the cards for you?"
I pulled this from info on pg 63.

Personal Improvement spread
1. An aspect of yourself that needs attention: something about yourself that needs to change.
2. A benefit associated with improving this aspect of yourself
3. A simple strategy for improving this aspect of yourself

or more simplified version he put on page 64:
1. aspect needing improvement
2. benefit of improvement
3. strategy for improvement