3 of Cups: Love or Friendship?

elena_jaymz

Hi guys, I was wondering about what the 3 of Cups could mean as potential between two persons, especially those starting to get to know each other.
I think this card talks about celebration and having a good time with your loved ones and friends, that is to say those you have a very strong emotional bond with. But what could it mean as potential between two persons? Does it point to strenghten a friendship or perhaps a friendship resulting then into a love relationship? I don't often draw this card, so I'm a bit confused about its meaning, but to me it looks more like a strenghtening of a friendship.

What do you think? Thanks.

think

Yep, it's love. It's the strengthening of a love relationship.

I mean it can also be a friendship, and celebration. It depends on the question. In the case of a romantic relationship, or even the hopes of one, it's not going to be signifying any friendly celebration, partying, etc. Because one person at least is more heavily invested, it's not a celebration to them if their heart is being trampled on.

Those are my thoughts.

elena_jaymz

Yep, it's love. It's the strengthening of a love relationship.

I mean it can also be a friendship, and celebration. It depends on the question. In the case of a romantic relationship, or even the hopes of one, it's not going to be signifying any friendly celebration, partying, etc. Because one person at least is more heavily invested, it's not a celebration to them if their heart is being trampled on.

Those are my thoughts.

Hi think, thanks for your reply! I see what you mean, if one is in love, but the other one is not, there's nothing to celebrate :D so yes, whatever it will be (love or friendship), it seems it will be positive.

Sharla

As this card is to do with a mercury in cancer association astrological wise, then this card can also mean someone who is rather sensitive and shy and will have problems expressing how they feel....just think of the cancer sign (crab) where you just go into your shell and hide away from what you really want to say (mercury) about your feelings.

Even if the other one lets you down in someway, then you won't tell them, you'll act like your okay to keep the peace.

Or if you start getting stronger feelings, you'll shy away from telling them how you really feel.

nisaba

Hi guys, I was wondering about what the 3 of Cups could mean as potential between two persons, especially those starting to get to know each other.
I think this card talks about celebration and having a good time with your loved ones and friends, that is to say those you have a very strong emotional bond with. But what could it mean as potential between two persons?

Well, it could mean that it's important to enjoy each other's company, develop a friendship, and get to know each other and enjoy fun times together before even thinking of being romantically involved.

(Romances always last longer and are happier, in my experience, if you take time to be friends first, so the card really isn't wrong).

elena_jaymz

As this card is to do with a mercury in cancer association astrological wise, then this card can also mean someone who is rather sensitive and shy and will have problems expressing how they feel....just think of the cancer sign (crab) where you just go into your shell and hide away from what you really want to say (mercury) about your feelings.

Even if the other one lets you down in someway, then you won't tell them, you'll act like your okay to keep the peace.

Or if you start getting stronger feelings, you'll shy away from telling them how you really feel.

Hi Sharla, thanks for your reply. Actually your take adds up. We're both shy and for what concerns me I find it hard to express my feelings openly and I think he's like that as well, so your insights here look right.
Anyway then time will tell ;)

elena_jaymz

Well, it could mean that it's important to enjoy each other's company, develop a friendship, and get to know each other and enjoy fun times together before even thinking of being romantically involved.
Hi nisaba, thanks so much :) Yes, I agree, surely this card says it's worth getting to know each other and having fun together as friends first, then we'll see what will happen.

(Romances always last longer and are happier, in my experience, if you take time to be friends first, so the card really isn't wrong).
I'm with you on this.

scorpiogirl

Yeah it can be love.
I've had it many times when I was in my last long-term relationship.

Barleywine

The difference between the 2 of Cups and the 3 of Cups in a relationship scenario is an interesting one. Rather than diving right into a locked-down, air-tight, breathless one-on-one commitment as suggested by the 2 of Cups (in the words of the Roxy Music song, "Face to face, toe to toe/Heart to heart . . ."), the 3 of Cups advises something a bit more open-ended, with a little more "breathing room." It strikes me as a better way to start a relationship, since the "L" word can stay in the background for a while. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the old cliche about a threesome or "love triangle" here; personally, I almost never see it as applicable, but I know many do. However, in this regard, I might consider it as representing "complications" simply because Three is less linear than Two, implying less of a mutually reciprocal arrangement.