3 of pentacles as negative influences??

Scarlet27

I was doing a cross spread for a friend who wanted to know about his job.

I got the 3 of pentacles as "negative influences" (or "obstacles", however is clearer for you).
I'm totally lost: this card seems like a very positive card, specially regarding a job because it talks about a well done job being appreciated, mastery, growth and team work.

How could that be negative?
Need help!

Thank you in advance for your answers~

Cosy_Mimi

this card primarily denotes success in team work. Perhaps he required to work alone to achieve particular success and working as a team was going to hinder him in this instance?

Scarlet27

Yes, that's what I first thought...
Any other ideas?

Cosy_Mimi

Scarlet27 said:
Yes, that's what I first thought...
Any other ideas?

maybe having success in this particular job would not lead to his happiness

lilangel09

Well...this is my take of 3 of Pents in that position, but if 3 of Pentacles is a group of people.. a small committee, a clique... it could mean that the group of people can be a bad influence on your friend (although they may not necessarily be bad people) or that there may be some trouble cooperating with them because of personal biases, not being on the same wavelengths, fear, etc.

It can also mean doing all the work yourself because your partners want a free ride.

It can also mean everyone else is doing all the work. (The opposite of the above.)

It may mean your friend does not do well in front of others.

I don't know... do any of these fit?

Thirteen

lilangel09 said:
that there may be some trouble cooperating with them because of personal biases, not being on the same wavelengths, fear, etc.
I agree. The 3/Pents is usually a craftsman who needs patronage in order to complete his work. That can be really negative if the craftsman is always worried, there after, if his patrons will approve of his decisions and work.

In short, it could mean that the negative influence is your friend's constant worry about how others will see his/her work--if a superior will approve/disapprove of it. There is nothing that can block a person's ability to do their best than constantly worrying if someone with power or influence over their position is going to like what they're doing. It can make them second-guess themselves, change work that's good and go for something more mediocre, or ignore their instincts.

This is almost as bad as the other interpretation of there being too many cooks overseeing, influencing or changing your friend's work, which can make a person want to give up all together.

Remember, however, that negative influences in a spread are often just a warning to a person on what to watch out for, not necessarily things that are currently causing problems.

Scarlet27

Oh, great! :)
Now I have a better idea of what that cards was talking about.
Thank you very much!

Hugs & blessings~

starrystarrynight

It might also indicate that the "master craftsman" associated with the Three of Pentacles could become so intent on making his work a masterpiece, that he might neglect all other facets of his life. (i.e. look out for being such a perfectionist that you lose everything else in your life, relationships included.)

In fact, it might also mean that the person could become such a perfectionist that others couldn't hope to measure up to the bar he has set for them--or for himself, for that matter (as a negative aspect of the upright card.)

I don't usually associate this card with teamwork, though. I think that the guy may need an audience to appreciate him; however, he is the one up on the stool or scaffold doing the work by himself.

Venusian

Scarlet27 said:
I was doing a cross spread for a friend who wanted to know about his job.

I got the 3 of pentacles as "negative influences" (or "obstacles", however is clearer for you).
I'm totally lost: this card seems like a very positive card, specially regarding a job because it talks about a well done job being appreciated, mastery, growth and team work.

How could that be negative?
Need help!

Thank you in advance for your answers~

Hi! I know that this is not the traditional meaning of the 3 of Pents (especially in the Rider-Waite deck), but I've seen this card come up in an a an instance where 3 people in a work setting had a meeting to discuss another person without the individual's knowledge that she was the topic of discussion. It's been some years, but if I recall the intent of the people was not discuss positive things. Moreso they were all antagonistic.

Toodles -

Sol

sacredashes

While researching this card a few days ago, I came across this site that compared the 3 of Pentacles from several decks. I found it useful and I hope it'll help you with this card too.

http://supertarot.co.uk/disk/threed.php

I personally see the 3 of Pentacles as an indication that the person has the skills necessary to get the job done. As a challenge card, perhaps the person is has not yet reached the optimum level required to excel in his work; he/she needs time to familiarize him/herself with the tasks required of him and the people he/she needs to work with.

Being a number 3, it means there is still work to be done before this person is recognized as a true master craftsman. At this stage, he/she is recognized as having the necessary skills but his/her ability has not been proven (beyond reasonable doubt) on track record within the organization. Retroactively apeaking, of course, there are too many probabilities.

This person may be holding the same job with new changes to the work requirements (a promotion with more responsibilities or an inter-dept transfer with different responsibilities); in a new organization learning the idiosyncratic temprement of the company; on probation for various reasons... the list goes on and on... :)

The gist of it is that the person needs to put in effort to be recognized amongst his contemporaries; it won't be handed to him/her on a silver platter. My interpretation is based on the card appearing in the position of the spread mind you mentioned earlier, not the all-encompassing meaning of the 3 of Pentacles card.

The site I provided gives a comparison of the 3 of Pentacles from several decks so I think the deck you used for the reading may have a slight variation to the interpretation I gave. Hope it helped anyways.

Ash