Connolly: Ten of Swords

Sophie-David

For me, this is a beautifully subtle card that gives me new insights into the meaning of the Ten of Swords. A beautiful young woman with lustrous black hair stands in isolation against a starscape, surrounded by the gold coloured hilts of ten steel swords. She clutches absently at her hair, in a vague defensive gesture, and her body angle is slightly swayed, as if she has stopped in mid-step.

But her face and her eyes tell a wondrously enigmatic story as she looks inward towards her soul. Indeed she may be suffering with profound loss, perhaps a sudden pang of recollection, or of unsufferable longing. But isn't there also the rise of new insight, the beginning of acceptance, a calm and quiet determination to reclaim the life that lies beyond the swords?

A white glow surrounds her, perhaps a claustrophobic bubble that marks her isolated suffering. Or is it a doorway torn in space, the mouth of a cave from which she is emerging, the ending of a difficult exploration in her inner world? Perhaps she is ready to leave the oppressive weaponry behind her, or to enter into their mastery, about to train as Princess or Page in the royal court of swords. Or perhaps her blue floral dress denotes her affinity to the High Priestess, a future acolyte who has just discovered that the intellect can only take her so far.

Not only a card of affliction, but the end of a learning cycle, this ten speaks not only of loss, but of closure and the potential for growth.

MoonMaiden

Sophie-David said:
She clutches absently at her hair, in a vague defensive gesture, and her body angle is slightly swayed, as if she has stopped in mid-step.

But her face and her eyes tell a wondrously enigmatic story as she looks inward towards her soul.

Yes, I agree. She is deep in meditation, pondering her situation.

Indeed she may be suffering with profound loss, perhaps a sudden pang of recollection, or of unsufferable longing. But isn't there also the rise of new insight, the beginning of acceptance, a calm and quiet determination to reclaim the life that lies beyond the swords?

I know that the 10 of Swords is supposed to indicate the culmination of the worst of the worst, the place where, after all, it's got to get better from here. But I wonder. Here the swords are pointed away from her. They are not sticking in her body, or even threatening. In fact, she could grasp them and use them for her own defense or, more challengingly, on the offensive.

A white glow surrounds her, perhaps a claustrophobic bubble that marks her isolated suffering. Or is it a doorway torn in space, the mouth of a cave from which she is emerging, the ending of a difficult exploration in her inner world?

The aura protects her, allows her to breathe, almost as if she is out of time and space. The swords hold a place, but only as a reminder of what they stand for, not the actual torment itself. Yet it is enough. She knows that she must make the next move. Oddly, the swords seem patient. They are there to instruct, not to destroy.

Perhaps she is ready to leave the oppressive weaponry behind her, or to enter into their mastery, about to train as Princess or Page in the royal court of swords. Or perhaps her blue floral dress denotes her affinity to the High Priestess, a future acolyte who has just discovered that the intellect can only take her so far.

I love this bit, S-D. And yes I believe you are right. Her garment does evoke the High Priestess' garb. Her aspect is one of she who is on the threshold of a new initiation. Perhaps the Priestess has sent along her own essence to shield this one, and to assist her to raise her vibration to realize that a new life can now be hers.

Not only a card of affliction, but the end of a learning cycle, this ten speaks not only of loss, but of closure and the potential for growth.

A very astute and wonderful commentary on this card, Sophie-David. Thank you. How different it is from the RWS card. How much more we can read into it. How much more easily we can discern possibilities that were not even suggested in the traditional card.

And the stars. They seem somehow like sister acolytes, waiting for their own to join them in the ways of transmutation, in the starry body of light.

Sophie-David

MoonMaiden said:
Yes, I agree. She is deep in meditation, pondering her situation.
What was your take on the way she was holding her hair - somewhat defensive, but mostly just that her attention is elsewhere? I wasn't sure if I was reading the gesture correctly.

MoonMaiden said:
A very astute and wonderful commentary on this card, Sophie-David. Thank you. How different it is from the RWS card. How much more we can read into it. How much more easily we can discern possibilities that were not even suggested in the traditional card.
Thank you MM. I think its not that the RWS has less meaning, but that the Connolly is particularly resonant with us. I think its not an accident that it was the first deck that I received a reading with, that it was the first deck I bought, and that it was the subject of a meditational cycle. Each deck has its special purpose for its particular audience.

MoonMaiden said:
And the stars. They seem somehow like sister acolytes, waiting for their own to join them in the ways of transmutation, in the starry body of light.
Yes, I like that, "sister acolytes". Stars so often seem to reflect on The Star card don't they? These little links between cards are a shorthand language in themselves.

MoonMaiden

Sophie-David said:
What was your take on the way she was holding her hair - somewhat defensive, but mostly just that her attention is elsewhere? I wasn't sure if I was reading the gesture correctly.

I can see why you think it is a defensive posture. Teamed with the slight bend of her shoulders, she seems to be protected herself physically.

The first thing that came to mind was that touching my hair is what I would do. It seemed to be a mirror of how I was feeling as I tuned into the card -- it seemed the natural thing to do. It seems comforting. Now to go deeper it is a bit more difficult. Perhaps she is keeping us connected to her meditation. She is acknowledging that although she is deep within, she knows that we are participating with her. She is making contact with us! Her hands on her hair tell us that she will not allow herself to escape through her meditation, but she is aware. As the Buddha said "I am awake. I am aware."

Whoa, I just had another revelation. The touching of her hair is a very feminine action. The swords represent a very yang, masculine energy. Because they are facing away from her, they are like an armed guard, keeping her from escaping her duty, rather than her attackers. The touching of her hair emphasizes the inner, feminine initiation. Connolly allows us to experience this card as where our power can take us if we embrace our feminine essence.

Ok, not perfect but a work in progress . . . :)

Sophie-David

MoonMaiden said:
The first thing that came to mind was that touching my hair is what I would do. It seemed to be a mirror of how I was feeling as I tuned into the card -- it seemed the natural thing to do. It seems comforting.
Oh yes, much as men stroke their beards - whether or not they have allowed them to grow - as a bit of masculine reinforcement.
MoonMaiden said:
Now to go deeper it is a bit more difficult. Perhaps she is keeping us connected to her meditation. She is acknowledging that although she is deep within, she knows that we are participating with her. She is making contact with us! Her hands on her hair tell us that she will not allow herself to escape through her meditation, but she is aware. As the Buddha said "I am awake. I am aware."
Yes, I can see that some semi-conscious part of her may also want to draw us in, to share what she is going through.

MoonMaiden said:
Whoa, I just had another revelation. The touching of her hair is a very feminine action. The swords represent a very yang, masculine energy. Because they are facing away from her, they are like an armed guard, keeping her from escaping her duty, rather than her attackers. The touching of her hair emphasizes the inner, feminine initiation. Connolly allows us to experience this card as where our power can take us if we embrace our feminine essence.

Ok, not perfect but a work in progress . . . :)
So this could be another card which evokes the potential of a psychic balance between Yin and Yang energies. Please keep us posted :)

wandking

you guys might throw rocks at my opinion but I feel Connolly softens this 10 too much. Fatal imagery on the 10 of Swords offers strong lessons but the lessons lead to Tarots' greatest gift; wisdom. I do like sophie/david views that bring a taste of transition, which the card should signal. Hmmm, I just noticed something... Swords are air-sign cards and the dawning aspect of the figure on the ten suggest a transition from darkness.

Sophie-David

Hi Wandking

I certainly won't throw rocks - or swords - but wisdom comes in many guises. :) But I'm afraid I find the RWS image so far over the top it becomes laughable, and the clincher is when Mr. Waite says, "It is not especially a card of violent death". :D I realize that there is also a lesson in the overkill aspect too, which Joan Bunning brings out very nicely in her online course, that we really are meant to laugh about it at times. So there we are again, "Each deck has its special purpose for its particular audience". I do plan to buy the RWS one of these days - probably the giant one. Hmm, a giant pincushion Ten of Swords, just what I need for my room! ;)

Yes, "a transition from darkness" or perhaps into darkness? The darkness of dynamic feminine power can have a very transformative and healing effect.

Cheers
David