Connolly: Queen of Swords

Sophie-David

Having studied the Queen of Swords recently in my other two favourite decks, looking at the Connolly is past due. As usual, I find a strong attraction to this character, although perhaps the Queen of Cups is even more interesting in the Connolly. This Queen of Swords is very dynamic and intense: she even has her sword drawn!

She has an incisive look in her eyes, and her simple crown is inset with a blue jewel, an invocation of her inner eye, guiding her to intuitive analysis. Her hair is black, coarse and straight, rather Eyptian looking, a simple, dignified, no-nonsense cut. She wears a flowing cloak of transcendent blue, lined with individualistic red and she sits in a wide circular throne inlaid with a tiled mosaic. Her dress is grey, trimmed with a necklace of pink jewels and a golden waistband. A pink cloth is draped across one knee. This interplay of colour and tone heightens her dynamic response with that drawn sword. Her sword of truth may execute her finely developed sense of justice, or sever the bonds that hold a captive free.

And on the end of the sword an orange Monarch butterfly has alighted - a feminine and royal symbol of airborne wisdom. The butterfly also symbolizes that she has lived through transformation and emerged keener than ever.

In the distance of her unconscious there are grey clouds and a stark wintery tree. This queen can be cool and calculating, but she is by no means polar. She can judge things in shades of grey, and in her wisdom understands both the wintery death of the tree, and the summer rebirth of the butterfly.

Unfortunately, I cannot relate at all to either the LWB or Eileen Connolly's Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice in their treatment of the Courts. Instead I will include a quote from Mary Greer's The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals:
Her finely honed mind and self-discipline lend themselves to honest and meticulous criticism...Personal freedom and independence of opinion are qualities you could be valuing. You might be decisive, stern, judgmental and unyielding, and sever contacts if necessary, even as you mourn their loss. However, you might also cut yourself off from your emotions.

MoonMaiden

I just had a funny thought. What if she is watching the King of Swords! I imagine they have quite a competition going on and she would not want him to best her! She fancies herself quite the match and yet keeps her cards closely vested. The more her beloved was capable of besting her, though she so loves the victory! the more she would love! And all the time, never closing her eyes til she was sure her mate's eyes were closed, lol.

Sophie-David

Ha ha! :D I just had a similar response in the King thread, but I put the Materialist in the middle!