I was told never to buy my own deck... What is that all about?

rennfahrer

I was told by someone expirienced in Tarot to definitely go get some cards but under no cricumstances by your own deck. Always get a friend to do it for you. What is the reasoning behind this? Doesn't sound like everyone here follows that rule really.

Citrin

I don't know why people keep saying that. =/ Seriously, what would the difference be? And buying a deck yourself, can't that be a gift too? I reward myself when I've done something good. Hehe.

Oh well, I don't think there's anything to that 'myth' or whatever.

jayde

Some people believe that a tarot deck should always be given as a gift. It increases its powers, or something (or so a friend once told me). At the time, I believed her and went through much pains to try and get her to buy a Haindl deck for me, with the promise of paying her back. However, before the day to go shopping came, I realized, "Wait a second, the deck is suppose to be connected to *me*, anyhow. When I buy it, I'm going to cleanse it and put it near me when I sleep to try and make a connection with it. So why not start on the right foot and just buy it myself? Wouldn't that only help the connection?" So I just bought the deck myself.

It was one of the best decks I ever owned. So, personally, I think that the idea that tarot decks must be a gift isn't very factual. It's more like a personal preference. :)

snowy25

I don't think a deck is more powerfull when buying it yourself then getting it as a gift.
I own two decks that are given to me as a gift.
The rest I bought myself.
All the decks I own don't seem to have any power on themselves.
Only when I work with a deck, be it the given ones or the ones I bought myself, then I feel the 'power of the tarot'.
It's not in the cards themselves, I believe, but in the connection when working with the cards.

love and light

Snowy

HedgeWych

The most important thing is what *you* feel is appropriate!!!

Do you feel that money involvement 'taints' something? (which is where it comes from... the idea that magical tools should all be gifts or crafted)

Everyone has their own way of doing things. This is just another way....

Namaste,

Hedge Wych

Flidais

Did you ask your friend why she advised you that way? What was her answer?

rennfahrer

Flidais said:
Did you ask your friend why she advised you that way? What was her answer?

No I didn't, I didn't really think about it. This was a person that did a reading for me while I was away on vacation. She said it like it was a traditional truth so I just figured I'd ask here.

Chronata

I honestly don't know who the first person who came up with the reasoning was...probably one of those people who tell you that the cards say a curse is upon you....and you need to fork over a thousand dollars for some healing crystals.

Seriously....it's a bunch of hooey, that you have to have someone else buy the deck.

Tradition or not...I think it was meant to make the tarot more mysterious and less accessible.

After all...why pay a reader hundreds when you can pick up a deck yourself for about $15 dollars...and teach yourself to do the same thing? probably with better accuracy?

Most of my decks were gifts...but really, the ones I bought myself work just as well.

AngelDancer

i was told the same thing by a friend here in the UK shortly after i'd bought my first deck (RW) and i just shrugged it off as superstition. do what u feel is right for you. no way am i going to sit around and wait for someone to buy me the decks on my wishlist... granted, i'd get them all a lot quicker if i could lure some rich guy into buying them for me, but that's probably bad karma :)

xxAD

Red Emma

Buying your own deck

brh986 said:
I was told by someone expirienced in Tarot ... under no cricumstances buy your own deck. Always get a friend to do it for you.

As Col. Potter of M.A.S.H. used to say, "Horse apples!"

For some reason, this ignorant, destructive superstition still hangs on. Pay no attention to it. Just enjoy your decks, no matter who buys them.