5 of Pentacles & 3 of Pentacles

Cinnia

So I needed a clarification for 5 of Pentacles. I separated the 5 of Pentacles before shuffling the rest of my cards. I pulled out 3 of Pentacles which made me even more confused. 5 of Pentacles represents difficulties, loss, set backs, etc. Basically a negative card. 3 of Pentacles, however, seems more positive. It implicates to me competence. Just seems kind of almost opposite.

What am I missing here?

amaranta_s

hi, you can interpret it two ways ( ofcourse one of them is more relevent to ur reading as I don't know ur question)
1.you encounter some problems and difficulties about sth that u are doing in three of pentacles.
2.after passing some difficulties u eventually can make it work and the result would be positive.

WalesWoman

If you fail at first, try, try again.

Thirteen

You can't do it without help, but help comes at a cost

Actually the two have something in common. The message that you lack funds to do what you want to do, and a need someone to "patron" you. In 5/Pents, those people out in the snow are often seen as refusing to be "patroned" by the church, to take charity, if you like. They'd rather rough it than do that. In the 3/Pents, the two men with the craftsman are his patrons, and it's thanks to their money that he can do his carvings and nothing else. But they have a right to come check up on that work and see how they like it. They are underwriting him.

Now anyone whose seen the movie Amadeus knows how important patronage is--and how problematic it is. You can't write that opera if no one will commission you for it. But if someone is commissioning you for such a thing, well, you have to write it the way they want it. You can't be proud or insist on artistic integrity. You need them, but they might well treat you like a servant rather than an artist, demanding the Opera have the elements they want whether it's a good idea or not.

So what the cards are saying is that whatever you want to do, it's going to be hard without help/support. That might be literal help (money) or figurative (like someone helping you social network, or to get a job). But, the message goes on, if you do accept support it will compromise your vision of what you want to do. So if, say, you're planning a wedding, these cards say it's not going to happen without help. Your parents will help you...but you're going to have to invite those cousins you hate and have it in a church you didn't want to have it in...etc.

Yes?