78 Weeks: Devil

Jewel

And a bit more catch up work on the posts ...

DECK: CELTIC DRAGON
CHAINS:

DESCRIPTION OF THE IMAGE:
A large blackish blueish dragon stand on hind legs holding a gold chain in its forepaws, and has its head and white eyes turned towards two humans. It faces the male, the female has her back to the male. The chain is visible on the floor but gets lost under the hem of the woman’s dress. The woman’s dress is teal with gold dragon patterns around the calf level and then again close to the hem of the dress, as well as on the bodice. She has a gold netting covering her brown hair. The male has long blonde hair, wears red pants, white shirt, and a long blue vest that goes to this thighs. The woman’s eyes are closed, you cannot see the mans face.

DESCRIPTION OF EMOTION:
The dragon shows dominance and intensity. The humans look submissive and defeated. Pretty depressing.

NUMBER 15: 15 reduced equals 1+ 5= 6. In the humans I see the reversed aspects of the 1 – impotency, materiality, and inner focus. I see the aspects of repression, upset, crisis, inertia, and victimization of the 5’s. Of the 6’s I see choice, union, responsibility, reflection, self-centeredness, vanity and estrangement.
NOTE: Please note that key words were selected from a list based on their relevance to the image on this particular “Death” card.

MODE/SUIT/ELEMENT:
MODE: Major Arcana – answers “why” the “who” is in the “what”. They are the lesson to be learned in the situation or the archetypal energy being expressed.

SUIT: N/A

ELEMENT: Water – feeling, yielding, secretive. The woman’s aqua dress for some reason seems to accent this. Emotions (blue/water) over mind (gold dragon designs on dress and hair decoration).

MEANINGS:
The CD book says that the card represents the situation the humans placed themselves in through “wrong choices, ill conceived actions, inaction, and negativity.” The book goes on to say that the chain is broken, but the humans are trapped by their own despair and do not realize they can leave any time they feel like it. The dragon is a Chaos dragon, which again goes back to victimization as the humans think all chaos is bad. There is a beam of light in the card which is supposed to represent spirit and their clothing is supposed to represent “powers of life and positive energy” that they cannot see (their eyes are closed.)

In relation to 78 DW, my primary source for this 78 week study, the card is about illusion and repression. Materialism (defined in the book as nothing beyond the world of the senses) is the illusion. And the repression comes from the denial of spiritual components in favor of personal desires. Ms. Pollack goes on to say that the Devil, in this case Chaos Dragon, has come to signify misery, and that his power resides in the illusion that nothing else exists.

78 DW talks a lot about symbolism that is lacking in the CD card, as well as the card’s association with sexual obsession, which is also absent in the CD card. However the CD does capture the essence of being slave to ones desires (the rich clothing and the woman’s hair piece) rather than acting how think best.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
Despite the name change of the card from “The Devil” to “Chains”, overall the card is in many ways like the RWS depiction and meaning – with changes made to fit the theme of the deck (i.e. using a Chaos Dragon in lieu of the Devil himself). Though esoteric symbolism and the sexual obsession portions of the traditional RWS are not in the card, it still holds well to traditional interpretations of the card in readings.

coyoteblack

I like how this card really beats you over the head about the chains of obsession.

Here is a scan of the TOD one which looks utterly different but still shows the same meaning.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 94

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
Here is a scan of the TOD one which looks utterly different but still shows the same meaning.
I really like that card! The gilded cage with the open door, naked man all exposed, and the Devil just rubbing it in. I do like this card, and it is a strong card.

The Guided Hermit

VIA Tarot

Card name—The Devil

First impressions—The VIA Devil is quite different classic devil interpretations in that the devil is comprised of a animal skull that appears to be growing from a cut down tree.

Following the VIA’s center line imagery, the Devil card can be bisected down the length of the image while the horizontal aspects of the card full perfectly into the rules of thirds. Each of the thirds have a dramatic pull on the eyes of the Tarotist depending on the appearance of the card in a given situation.

The lower third of the card utilizes the VIA pure white curve which creates the impression of the image being contained in a wine glass. At the bottom of the card are sun bleached bones—leg bone, hips and rib cage of some long gone creature. The leg bone appears to be human….

Smack center of the image, rising from the top of the lower third, is the stump of a tree. Resting, or perhaps growing from the top of the stump, is a very large rams head in skeletal form. Sun bleached and missing bits of bone, this head retains long, twisting horns that reach out and upwards where they terminate at the juncture of the upper corners of the card.

In the center of the skull, a living, third eye peers out at the viewer.

The background is that of an arid, desolate desert wasteland. We see cliffs that rise to the bottom third of the card. Above that, the sky is holds heavy white clouds that are swept away to dark blue sky at the top of the card.

Between the expanse of the twisted ram’s horns is a brilliant, burning sun.

What the CREATOR says — Transformation, either voluntary or otherwise, sudden and dramatic. Principle of change in action, regardless of the consequences on the physical plane. If badly aspected, it may suggest misfortune or loss. Primal creative energies break out of the void and begin to coalesce.

Traditional Keyword Meanings (Bunning)—Ending, Transition, Elimination, Inexorable forces

Images and Symbolism—
• The sun contained in the blunted triangle of horns represents the Ayin path in Tiphareth on the journey of return.
• The skull contains a yoni-like cleft while the skull is supported by a phallic supporting column, indicating hope that the pro-creative process shall continue.
• The use of the desert setting implies the tenacity of the will to live.
• The card is enigmatic and full of apparent contradiction, intended to inspire open-minded meditation rather than critical analysis of the meaning of the card.

Spirit – How I relate spiritually to this card:
This is a card worthy of contemplation. Hidden beneath its apparent blankness is the hidden beauty of the desert. I do not feel the Devil in this card; there is no sense of seduction of addictions or bondage. Instead, there is this pull towards the dry heat of desiccation.

Emotional – How I relate emotionally to this card:
Dryness surrounds me. The emotions are emptied; the cup dry. There is a sense of wanting, of desire for the substance and nutrient blessings of water. This card touches a quiet, passive place within me.

Physical – My physical connection to this card:
I feel the heat; I smell the air filled with mesquite and sage. I hear the wind and feel the sand beneath my feet. I feel the arid bones of the Devil under my hands.

I very much relate to this card physically….

Beneficial – I feel the most beneficial aspect of this card is…
This is a card that reminds us to let ourselves go sometimes, that it is alright to be filled with Yang energy. It also reminds of mental bondage and of addiction; it also allows us to view the shadow self. This card asks us to give up attachments that may prove to be harmful,

Problematic – I feel the most problematic aspect of this card is….
It scares the bejesus out of the non-initiated!

What the card means to me—
Potent Yang energy; letting go; transformation; ambition; addiction; freedom of mental bondage is at hand; seeing the shadow self in others; coming to terms the necessity to have a change in attitude; letting go of preconceived ideas; getting off course of one’s path; excessiveness; blind impulse. Hedonism in the extreme; lack of compassion.

Attachments

• 15--The Devil.jpg
    15--The Devil.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 79

Llynn

78 Weeks – The Devil – The Shining Woman Tarot

The red figure of the Devil is positioned in the centre of this card. Red is the colour of fire and blood – the life force. This Devil is thin, elongated, with his hands together – almost as if they were bound. He is surrounded by the black of the unknown, seemingly compressed by the weight of all the fears and fantasies of which the unknown is comprised. But the unknown is not unknowable!

To reach the Devil there are four doorways – each doorway an invitation to explore, to approach another level of knowledge. Each doorway is different but they all share the same threshold – the barren rock of existence, the bare earth which is also the starting point for life. To release the Devil we have to pass through these doorways and learn their lessons. Only at the end of the passageway will we be able to embrace the life force in all its power and be able to use it wisely and well in the known world. That is one of the reasons Temperance comes before the Devil – the theory before the practical examination, years of study before graduation. But one false step, one slip on the way, means that it is back to the tests of Temperance!

This Devil is a Guardian of the Threshold. He protects us from the unknown and the unknown from us. We must be ready in body, mind, soul and spirit before we can enter the great unknown and not go mad from the experience. We must recognise our limitations and work to remove them, to break the chains that bind us to our own view of the world. But do we really want all the pain that will be experienced, all the effort that will have to be made, to achieve understanding – or are we too comfortable where we are?

Wendywu

Molten Iron - Ironwing

This card’s immediate standout feature for me is the centipede – I love them :) I knew very little about this particular species but this is a very brief description

The rare and beautiful giant Sonoran Desert centipede (Scolopendra hems) grows to 8" long. It is bright orange with yellow legs and blue-black head and tail. A fast-moving predator of insects, its front legs are modified as fangs, and its poison is comparable to that of a scorpion. It is nocturnal and usually hides under rocks, and is rarely seen except on humid nights after summer rains.

Almost immediately however my eyes are drawn to the woman. Oddly her legs (and therefore her lower body) are facing us, but to have her hands in that position her upper body must be facing away from us. Given the care and precision which has been taken with these cards I do not doubt that this was done on purpose. Thinking about the possibilities of why the woman has been shown like this – I wondered about whether she was caught, held in one place because she couldn’t commit her whole self to going in one direction. And the longer she is held, indecisive and torn, the more trapped she becomes.

Also, I considered that possibly because of the action of the centipede, she is being forced to change direction – either turning to or from the creature and whatever it represents. Thinking about this possibility made me think about the centipede itself and what it could stand for in this card. One of the favourite habitats of the Giant Centipede (aka Sonoran Desert Centipede) is rotting logs. This immediately give me to think that if Molton Iron were a representation of moral rot then this centipede would be absolutely ideal to indicate what is going on with the woman. She is turning towards – or from - an inner decay of some sort. It sounds very judgmental and old fashioned but I think it is a real condition of the soul or spirit. It doesn’t mean one is a mass murderer or rapist – to me it means that I am not being the best me possible. I am succumbing to baser desires. In my case that means things like spending my time in personal pursuits when I am needed elsewhere, and have made a commitment to be there (spoken or unspoken), whether to someone else or to myself. Often I am inclined to be lazy round the house – it is something I chide myself on and yet still succumb. I recognise that this means that it is a pattern of behaviour I am not yet ready to change completely – I am torn in two over it, or else I would either succumb without a worry, or change my ways entirely.

Selfishness. In the end it all boils down to selfishness. Pleasing my self first, and sometimes even managing to persuade my silly self that I am right to do so! I don’t know quite how I achieve that but I do – I think it’s a case of “willing suspension of disbelief”. It goes something like this – “Why shouldn’t I come first sometimes?” – which is true enough but it’s soooo easy to step over the line from “sometimes” to “most of the time”. The Sonoran Desert Caterpillar is venomous. “Me, me, me” is a kind of venom that poisons the spirit, but it’s insidious and it is just an extension of a healthy level of self concern.

Looking at her hands and wrists, the woman is both being held and is holding on. So – whatever her form of personal disintegration she isn’t actually aware of it. Indeed, she holds on to it because she thinks it’s worthwhile for her to do so. However, what she hangs onto like grim death is also a kind of screen that shields her from the results of her behaviour and/or attitudes. It’s much easier to keep going with a type of behaviour if you don’t see the results! Of course what she holds up is a screen she has subconsciously made for herself to avoid recognising the possible consequences. And the tighter she holds the screen, the more those tentacles will wrap themselves around her ankles and wrists. Eventually when she realises what she’s been doing to herself (and others) she’s not going to find it as easy to let go as she might have liked.

There are red droplets on the screen which is barbed in places. Thus I see that whatever she is holding onto is really hurting her now. Maybe it didn’t to start with but it’s high time she let it go. This can apply to all sorts of things – with me it was chocolate. Sounds harmless enough – in fact, it’s gorgeous. In all its luscious, lovely forms. However for me and those like me it is poison. (I am an insulin dependent diabetic). Something so gorgeous and innocent was damaging me and although I knew it I kept on eating it. And thus I see that this card can illustrate how things which to everyone may appear innocuous can in fact be a danger, and selfish.

However, I don’t think this card has to refer to things like potentially life threatening bad habits. Looking at the image I see an egg, which the centipede has smashed open to get out of and is crawling up the woman’s body. Why would it do that? Because where she stands it is not safe for the centipede? It seeks a less dangerous place to rest? What could she be standing on, or in, that would elicit such a response in the centipede? Red droplets. In a deck almost dedicated to iron and the working of it. Red droplets – drops of molten, fiercely hot iron. If that were so then the woman is standing with her legs either side of a pool of the stuff. And if I were the newly hatched centipede I’d have crawled up her body too! If she is standing above such a dangerous pool I also understand why she holds on so tightly. Whatever surface her feet are on is managing to resist the intense heat of the furnace and responds to her need for support as she stands in such a dangerous and precarious place.

Why is she there?

What is it that is driving her to place herself in such danger? Is she there as a prop for the centipede? An act of personal sacrifice? I don’t think so. Nor do I see the Centipede as intending to become a parasite. I think it is doing what it has to do to save its life. But the woman – why is she there? Fire – heat – burning. But still she stands there, held and holding. If I were she what would I be feeling? Mainly I think my groin would be burning from the fierce heat of the molten iron. It could feel like lust I suppose – that frantic, burning, aching physical desire which demands urgent satisfaction. And she hangs there caught in a frenzy of purely physical satisfaction. And there’s nothing wrong with physical sensation – our bodies are made for the giving and receiving of pleasure. But what this woman feels is not the same as the desire for her lover, where the lover’s joy is as important as our own.

And I don’t think this relates just to sex, or the physical desire for anything one thing, I see it as an analogy for many situations. Ultimately of course, caught in this particular trap, she will die. The centipede’s birth however shows that the fire which will cause her death caused its egg to ripen to hatching point. Always, something lives and something dies.

Sometimes when I look at this card I see the egg as not having been that of the centipede at all but as being the prey of the centipede. This is physically wrong I know but as a visual impression it is quite disturbing. Especially when taken in conjunction with the centipede’s physical involvement with the woman. I remember a Robert Heinlein book “The Puppet Masters”. It talked about an alien invasion where the aliens attached their sluglike bodies to their victims’ spinal cords. Having burrowed into their brains through the backs of their heads the aliens then took over full control of their human host. But the awful thing was that rescued humans said that although they had been aware at some level of what had been done to them, and of what they were being forced to do they could do nothing to stop it. And to some extent, I see that with the images on this card. And that fascinates me because I have been that person, caught up in an undesirable and unlovely pattern of behaviour. On one level I was appalled at myself but on another I was full of “So what”. The things I was doing exerted a fascination and I was in a sense trapped. I do see that I was as much holding on as being held though, and at the time I would not have recognised either action.

I considered the whole card from the idea that whatever she is doing, it is high time she stopped. This could be anything really – one develops habits without realising it. Maybe she has stopped eating the right foodstuffs. Possibly she has wallowed at home all winter but needs to get out in the summer – but she is caught in the comfort of home whilst at the same time longing to head off into something new… Thought of like this, the card illustrates so many things. The image is so dramatic that the impulse is to connect it to dramatic patterns of behaviour but really – how many of us live dramatic lives? We all have moments of absolute intensity, but none of us lives our whole life at that pitch. Therefore the card cannot relate only to the big things in life. I have to learn how it relates to my daily life, and to my small doings and habits. This has taken a deal of time and thought simply because the image has such an impact.

After some initial difficulty in learning how to understand this card in small terms I have come to appreciate it for how connected it actually is to the way we live our lives, and what happens to us. I am both the woman and the centipede. And asking how I would feel, what could be happening and why in each case helps me to get an understanding of the card’s relevance to our daily lives.

gregory

Card name: Devil

First impressions
A large goat stares out at is. He has massive horns – which I have to say (I KNOW goats) are not very goat like, being very straight. Still- Art is Art ! – he is in front of a tree trunk with bright rings of light just below where the braches start. His feet sort of just DON’T rest on two golden eggs full of people who appear desperate to get out. In front of him a wand with a set of wings at the top and what looks for all the world like a pair of testicles hanging from them – but on closer examinations seems to be two snakes – so this is a caduceus ? Behind it all a sport of spider’s web, punctuated with Rorschach blots…

From the Book of Thoth (edited down)
XV Devil

This card is attributed to the letter ‘Ayin, which means an Eye, and it refers to Capricornus in the Zodiac. In the Dark Ages of Christianity, it was completely misunderstood. Eliphaz Levi studied it very deeply because of its connection with ceremonial magic, … and he re-drew it, identifying it with Baphomet, the ass-headed idol of the Knights of the Temple. [The Early Christians also were accused of worshipping an Ass, or ass-headed god. See Browning, The Ring and the Book (The Pope).] But at this time archaeological research had not gone very far; the nature of Baphomet was not fully understood. (See Atu 0, above.) At least he succeeded in identifying the goat portrayed upon the card with Pan.

On the Tree of Life, Atu XIII and XV are symmetrically placed; they lead from Tiphareth, the human consciousness, to the spheres in which Thought (on the one hand) and Bliss (on the other) are developed. Between them, Atu XIV leads similarly to the sphere which formulates Existence. (See note on Atu X and arrangement.) These three cards may therefore be summed up as a hieroglyph of the processes by which idea manifests as form.

This card represents creative energy in its most material form; in the Zodiac, Capricornus occupies the Zenith. It is the most exalted of the signs; it is the goat leaping with lust upon the summits of earth. The sign is ruled by Saturn, who makes for selfhood and perpetuity. In this sign, Mars is exalted, showing in its best form the fiery, material energy of creation. The card represents Pan Pangenetor, the All-Begetter. It is the Tree of Life as seen against a background of the exquisitely tenuous, complex, and fantastic forms of madness, the divine madness of spring, already foreseen in the meditative madness of winter; for the Sun turns northwards on entering this sign.

The roots of the Tree are made transparent, in order to show the innumerable leapings of the sap; before it stands the Himalayan goat, with an eye in the centre of his forehead, representing the god Pan upon the highest and most secret mountains of the earth. His creative energy is veiled in the symbol of the Wand of the Chief Adept, crowned with the winged globe and the twin serpents of Horus and Osiris.

The sign of Capricornus is rough, harsh, dark, even blind; the impulse to create takes no account of reason, custom, or foresight. It is divinely unscrupulous, sublimely careless of result.
“thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that, and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.” AL. I, 42-4.
It is further to be remarked that the trunk of the Tree pierces the heavens; about it is indicated the ring of the body of Nuith. Similarly, the shaft of the Wand goes down indefinitely to the centre of earth.

…. this card especially represents the masculine energy at its most masculine. Saturn, the ruler, is Set, the ass-headed god of the Egyptian deserts; he is the god of the south. The name refers to all gods containing these consonants, such as Shaitan, or Satan. … Essential to the symbolism are the surroundings - barren places, especially high places. The cult of the mountain is an exact parallel. The Old Testament is full of attacks upon kings who celebrated worship in “high places”; this, although Zion itself was a mountain! This feeling persisted, even to the days of the Witches’ Sabbath, held, if possible, on a desolate summit, but (if none were available) at least in a wild spot, uncontaminated by the artfulness of men.

Note that Shabbathai, the “sphere of Saturn”, is the Sabbath. Historically, the animus against witches pertains to the fear of the Jews; whose rites, supplanted by the Christian forms of Magic, had become mysterious and terrible. Panic suggested that Christian children were stolen, sacrificed, and eaten. The belief persists to this day.

In every symbol of this card there is the allusion to the highest things and most remote. Even the horns of the goat are spiral, to represent the movement of the all-pervading energy. Zoroaster defines God as “having a spiral force”. …

Images and Symbolism
Frieda Harris says in her essays:
XV. The Devil is here represented in the traditional form of the Goat. The cult of the Goat represents the impulse to reckless creation without any regard for result. Behind the Goat stands the Tree of Life, which pierces the Heavens in a medley of fantastic forms, recalling the markings on the planet Mars, always associated with the fiery material energy of creation. In the transparent roots the sap is seen, seething and leaping in every direction. The ring at the top is one of the rings of Saturn or Set, the Ass-headed god of the Egyptians. The spiral shape of the horns is an allusion to the highest and most remote things. Zoroaster defines God as “having a spiral force.”
Also:
Capricornus. Ain.
As this card is governed by Capricornus, we have the traditional goat. On his forehead is the Eye of God, his curved horns represent the spiral force in nature, that is wanton creation, and his abandonment is emphasized by the bacchanalian bunch of grapes. Beneath him are his votaries in two dividing cells, stressing the doctrine that all sin is division. The background is designed from the markings on the planet Mars. The Goat is supported on the Caduceus. At the top of the Tree of Life at the back of the card is the ring of Saturn.
Crowley himself said (in Magick: Liber ABA):
The Devil does not exist. It is a false name invented by the Black Brothers to imply a Unity in their ignorant muddle of dispersions. A devil who had unity would be a god.
Certainly there is no card representing “good” in the deck – and if the devil is supposed to be “bad” – why is this the only card with only one side ? All the others there is supposed to be a good side and an evil side. But as Banzhaf point out – there can only be absolute evil - symbolically crystallised in the Devil - when God is made to be absolute good. God used to be perceived as ambivalent, and as long as that was so, there was no need for the devil – who as a result almost never shows up in the Old Testament.

This is presumably why Crowley subtitled the card Lord of the Gates of Matter. As he says in BoT, the devil/Capricorn was completely misunderstood by Christians in the Dark Ages of Christianity, and that he is in fact all about creative energy. As BoT says, Levi redrew the card as Baphomet, an ass-headed idol, and one who matched an ass-headed God that Early Christians were accused of worshipping. It represents the most masculine of everything – DuQuette sees the “eggs” he stands on as the testicles. (That leaves the tree as a massive phallus !) In the left one we have four females and in the right, four males (much larger – more masculinity) and the one at the top almost has goat horns himself. Snuffin suggests that he represents the Minotaur, the potential messiah. The little lines in the eggs are – DuQuette suggests – insinuating chromosomes, and that the starry rays suggest cellular division. There are ten pairs of chromosomes in each. The devil shown here, says DuQuette, is “the Devil the world has been taught to fear. He is life itself, unrestrained, in mad love and seeking to grown and unite with absolutely everything.” Very far from traditional, then ! Even the happiest looking devils in other decks don’t seem that positive, having a far meaner side :) But in Crowley’s story, The Wake World, Lola meets the devil, and her Fairy Prince tells her that he is the Saviour of the World… This card really fits that.

Uncharacteristically for this card (what else do we expect here ?) – while they are IN the testes, and so in a way imprisoned, they do not appear to be in bondage like the figures in most devil cards.

Banzhaf points out that darkness is the creative energy in its material form. Rather than Baphomet, he sees the goat as Mendes, the Egyptian god, identified by the Greeks with Pan. He sees the face as sly – I actually don’t – but still; he goes on to say that this is because he represents dark instincts, the unheard of. The snakes on the wand are the Uraeus snakes – the king’s symbol of ancient Egypt – which fits with the Mendes thing. The Egyptian winged sun at the top of the staff is the open third eye on Pan’s forehead. (As so often with this study, once the actual things on the card are identified by someone who knows more than I do :|, a lot more becomes clear – I had no idea that was a winged SUN, but if tit is, that makes sense of things I was previously missing ! Just saying…) The goat himself also has an open third eye on his forehead. Snuffin says this also represents the head of a phallus.
Pan is here the son of Hermes, and therefore of the psychopomp.
The goat can also be seen as the scapegoat, the guy who gets blamed for everything – critically, whether he did it or not.
The horns suggest a reversed pentacle – the symbol – now – of ultimate evil, and of black magic. The Waite deck actually shows a reversed pentacle on this card.
The goat wears a lotus garland on his head, says Banzhaf. (BoT mentions “A scarlet bow for thy horns.” ) Well – I don’t know who says it is lotus, I rather saw it as a simple floral garland – rather like the one on the lion in the Waite Strength card… Anyway – it makes him look slightly drunk, to me… Interesting as going on to Snuffin – it is defined as grapes rather than lotus blossoms – which seems to me to make a lot more sense ! Grapes also appear in the Fool card, which is also about creative potential.
Banzhaf says the garland (assuming lotuses now !) evokes the Egyptian god Nefertem who is the god both of life and of death. It identifies the wearer as a son of the good (evil as a part of the good.) This also makes sense – you can only define good if there is evil as a reference point, and vice versa. But what the garland is made of now becomes more interesting I terms of interpretation…! SO we turn to Frieda - and – it’s grapes. But I still like the idea of the evil as part of the good side of the lotuses - that aren’t there anyway !
Frieda says the background is based on “the markings on the planet Mars”. I have no idea why this would be so, and I can’t see it myself. But she painted it, so… Snuffin describes it as chaotic, but points out that Mars governs sexual energy.
The rings around the tree are the rings of Saturn, the zodiacal ruler of Capricorn – and also, as Frieda says, Set, the Ass-headed god of the Egyptians.

Traditional meanings –
Cribbed shamelessly from Wasserman

THE DEVIL. Blind impulse. Irresistibly strong and unscrupulous person. Ambition. Temptation. Obsession. Secret plan about to be executed. Hard work. Endurance. Aching discontent. Materialism. Fate.
From the Book of Thoth:
With thy right Eye create all for thyself, and with the left accept all that be created otherwise.
Blind impulse, irresistibly strong and unscrupulous, ambition, temptation, obsession, secret plan about to be executed; hard work, obstinacy, rigidity, aching discontent, endurance.
(Wasserman sometimes seems to crib more than at other times !)
My impressions
To me this is a rather friendly looking goat. I cannot see him as sly in the least. And the horns look rather like the two-finger sign given in contempt. He seems to be cheerfully saying “up yours, mate” ! The open third eye suggests enlightenment, something most people don’t associate with the Devil. But why not ? This is in no way a threatening card to me. It’s actually quite restful and decorative… If I look hard at the background – which bothers me – I can almost make out a butterfly on the right, and a bird on the left – but that feels rather like playing with Rorschach !
My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
There is everything in the Devil that the world does not want to see in itself. It is therefore about being in denial. I would see it as a bit lecherous, though, so as representing sexual energy – the goat does look decidedly rakish as well as friendly – but also as highly intelligent somehow. He could suggest a criminal, maybe. But oddly, not an overly violent one. More of a seducer than a rapist, sort of ! It is a sort of fast-moving card – suggesting haste before thought. It does suggest power, and the kind of person who knows they are right, and will exert power on that basis. Control.

jackdaw*

XV The Devil (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
Funny that the Devil should follow hot on the heels of Temperance. Because they seem to be just polar opposites. Temperance's motto seems to be "not too much"; the Devil's is about excess. It embraces "too much" wholeheartedly.

He's not really evil, malicious, puckish as I'd assumed. But he's trying to be. He makes me think of that photo of Aleister Crowley; the one of him in some sort of ceremonial or theatrical garb with the big pyramid on his head and his face propped up by awkwardly post fists with weirdly bent thumbs. The maniacally staring eyes. That's what this Devil makes me think of. That sort of campy, ludicrous, eviler-than-thou persona. Interesting point, that; I'm writing this by hand, away from the computer. I must try to check for dates, to see if this was any sort of a back-handed jab at Crowley on Waite's part.

So yes, the Devil has the comically serious, trying-to-make-you-squirm expression. But it's not in a bald-headed man this time (ooh ... interesting idea for a Devil card!). It's in a squat, hairy, bestial figure. From the knees down his legs look sort of like chicken drumsticks and end in talons. Knees to waist are covered in shaggy brown hair like that of a Highland cow. A particularly dense and elaborate swirl of hair at his unseen genitals looks significantly snakelike. His torso is more human looking and is either dark-skinned or covered with a fine brown fur. He has widespread gray bat wings, curling horns like a ram's, a reddish face with blond goatee and side whiskers, hairy ears like a fox or a lynx, and those theatrically staring eyes and downturned mouth.

One hand is raised in an almost Spock-like gesture; I think we can assume it is meant to be a dark or Satanic sort of benediction. There are interesting lines inscribed in the palm of his hand; like a newly stitched scar or bizarre palm lines. Life lines? I never learned about palmistry. His other hand points earthward, reminiscent of the Magician and his "as above, so below" riff. The lower hand holds a blazing torch, flames downward like using a birthday candle to light the rest of the candles on the cake. He wears a white inverted star or pentagram above his brow so that the bottommost point covers his forehead and the side points are supported by his horns. He squats on an upright oblong pillar, black even against the black background of the card, his talons gripping the edges. An iron ring is driven or bolted into the front of it, which holds the ends of two chains that secure a man and a woman.

It's a sense of deja vu, this couple. Like those in the sixth arcanum, the people are both naked. The woman is on the left, the man on the right. Apart, on opposite ends of the image, yet somehow together, paired in their gaze. Both have horns that protrude slightly from their curly hair, and both have prehensile monkeylike tails. The woman's tail ends in a bunch of purple grapes and the man's in flames, lit from the devil's torch. Again, it recalls the Lovers for me. The female lover stands in front of the fruitful Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and the male lover stands in front of the flaming Tree of Life. These correspond to the grapes and fire of this couple's tails. The woman looks straight ahead in this card while the man looks at her, one hand slightly extended as if to say "now what?"; the male lover looks at the woman while she looks up, away from him.

Now look at their chains. It's interesting how loosely they are attached around their necks. If a dog was chained this loosely, it'd be gone like a shot. Suggests to me that they're not actually prisoners, that they could escape if they really wanted to get away. And the way they're avoiding the Devil, evading eye contact. The phrase "the elephant in the room" springs to mind when I see this. It's obvious that his presence makes them uncomfortable. It makes me think of vices, of addictions, of darker appetites, of sexual issues, of yea many other issues that come between couples but that they don't talk about. This is what the card means to me, in part. But it's not just couples; it's about addictions and vices, temptation, lack of restraint and discipline.

Almost a year ago now, I wrote the following about le Diable from the Tarot de Marseille, which brings up another possible meaning for this card:
me said:
Looking at the strange central figure of le Diable, and the Krampus, I think the Tarot de Marseille has another applicable definition. I think it is also related to nightmares, to one’s worst and unreasoning fears. This card, le Diable, is the boogeyman in the closet, the monster under the bed. We may be aware on a cerebral level that there’s no such thing, that there is nothing in the closet, but our emotional response is the same.

Creators' Notes
Waite says:
Waite said:
15. The Devil. In the eighteenth century this card seems to have been rather a symbol of merely animal impudicity. Except for a fantastic head-dress, the chief figure is entirely naked; it has bat-like wings, and the hands and feet are represented by the claws of a bird. In the right hand there is a sceptre terminating in a sign which has been thought to represent fire. The figure as a whole is not particularly evil; it has no tail, and the commentators who have said that the claws are those of a harpy have spoken at random. There is no better ground for the alternative suggestion that they are eagle's claws. Attached, by a cord depending from their collars, to the pedestal on which the figure is mounted, are two small demons, presumably male and female. These are tailed, but not winged.
It is true that the Marseille version and similar do not seem especially evil. Cheerfully, gleefully malicious, impudent, even, yes. But evil? Not really.

Waite said:
Since 1856 the influence of Éliphas Lévi and his doctrine of occultism has changed the face of this card, and it now appears as a pseudo-Baphometic figure with the head of a goat and a great torch between the horns; it is seated instead of erect, and in place of the generative organs there is the Hermetic caduceus. In Le Tarot Divinatoire of Papus the small demons are replaced by naked human beings, male and female, who are yoked only to each other. The author may be felicitated on this improved symbolism.
didn't think there was anything "semi" Baphometic about it at all. But how nice to know Waite approves of Papus' new symbolism, in his own patronizing way.

He goes on to say:
Waite said:
The design is an accommodation, mean or harmony, between several motives mentioned in the first part. The Horned Goat of Mendes, with wings like those of a bat, is standing on an altar. At the pit of the stomach there is the sign of Mercury.
I guess that is the serpentine coily bits of hair there; maybe it's just not too clear in my pocket Rider Waite, or maybe I just haven't the eyesight or subtlety :laugh:

Waite said:
The right hand is upraised and extended, being the reverse of that benediction which is given by the Hierophant in the fifth card. In the left hand there is a great flaming torch, inverted towards the earth. A reversed pentagram is on the forehead. There is a ring in front of the altar, from which two chains are carried to the necks of two figures, male and female. These are analogous with those of the fifth card, as if Adam and Eve after the Fall. Hereof is the chain and fatality of the material life.
"Fifth" card? But I like that, about the chain and fatality of the material life. Like the Robin Wood variant, wherein the couple is held back by a heavy chained chest of treasure. Things always weigh you down, hold you back.
Waite said:
The figures are tailed, to signify the animal nature, but there is human intelligence in the faces, and he who is exalted above them is not to be their master for ever. Even now, he is also a bondsman, sustained by the evil that is in him and blind to the liberty of service.
To my way of thinking, he will be their master until they learn to cast off the chains themselves.

Waite said:
With more than his usual derision for the arts which he pretended to respect and interpret as a master therein, Éliphas Lévi affirms that the Baphometic figure is occult science and magic. Another commentator says that in the Divine world it signifies predestination, but there is no correspondence in that world with the things which below are of the brute. What it does signify is the Dweller on the Threshold without the Mystical Garden when those are driven forth therefrom who have eaten the forbidden fruit.
So ... the Lovers represent Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and the Devil represents them after the Fall? Interesting thought.

Others' Interpretations
Waite interprets this card as follows:
Waite said:
15. THE DEVIL.--Ravage, violence, vehemence, extraordinary efforts, force, fatality; that which is predestined but is not for this reason evil. Reversed: Evil fatality, weakness, pettiness, blindness.

Symbols and Attributes
Embodying Capricorn the Goat, this explains the faunlike build (in part) of the Devil. Capricorn rules over Yule, the longest night of the year, the turning point of the year. An Earth sign ruled by constrictive Saturn, Capricorn is as far as I have always thought, the most practical and pragmatic (and unexciting) sign in the Zodiac. Capricorn people tend to be hardworking, reliable, stodgy, dull. At least in my experience! The Devil works with the tools he has at hand. The people before him are greedy, bound by material desires? The Earth element at its worst and most superficial? Fine. He can use that to his advantage. And Saturn's influence reinforces the ties that bind them to him. He's not called the Lord of the Gates of Matter for nothing.

The Devil here is heavily influenced by Eliphas Levi, with the illustration of Baphomet. Originally a sort of pagan deity or imagining of a pagan deity, a Panlike figure, Baphomet figured prominently in the arrest, trial and dissolution of the Knights Templar, and has since become a sort of so-called "Sabbatic goat" due to Levi's illustration. The goatlike figure of Baphomet (also a symbol of Capricorn, that goat) is winged with legs crossed, gesturing with one hand up and one down, and showing the pentagram over his brow. However, there is no sign of a torch in Levi's version.

The pentagram refers to the power one obtains by harnessing the five senses, the five elements. Inverted, it represents misuse of power. Or, others have likened the pentagram to the human body. Inverted, with sexual organs higher than the head, it represents baser desire overcoming reason. Thinking with your penis? })

The positioning of his arms is a perversion of the Magician's "as above, so below" gesture. The uppermost hand makes a gesture that was apparently first used in Jerusalem by the High Priest to bring down the spirit force. It is still a Jewish blessing, for all that it looks like the Vulcan "live long and prosper". Inscribed on the palm of this upper hand, lines form the sigil or glyph of Saturn, underlining Capricorn's planetary influence. Now, I don't know much about palmistry at all, but people who do say that it is formed by the heart line and the life line. The life line seems to choke off the heart line, suggesting how life's excesses can choke off spiritual growth. Or, an interesting point Abrac has made:
I would like to suggest that the meaning is a bit more complex and mysterious, yet also simple. In the book, Hands -A Complete Guide to Palmistry; Whitford Press; 1983; Page 188, Enid Hoffman talks about "ambition lines." These are lines that extend from, but never cross, the "life" line. They indicate the presence of ambition in whatever direction they point to. In the earliest US Games RWS decks and the "Pam A," [...] what we see are ambition lines extending from the life line and wrapping around the "head" line. The way I interpret this is it is illustrating that a good portion of The Devil's life energy is being channeled into intellectual activity, even to the point of bondage.
Trapped in his own head, then?

The lower left hand holds the torch, the destruction. It may refer to the subjugation of energy, of illumination, of power. Perhaps of misusing one's energy or one's power. Or, in Mithraic rituals, a torch held downward like this was a symbol of spiritual death.

The bat wings, paired with the black background, remind me of bats, which are blind but are able to detect much that is hidden in the darkness. Maybe hidden knowledge, darker secrets. The darker side of human nature.

He squats or crouches on an oblong or half-cubic block, representing an imperfect view. He sees the dark but not the light, the physical but not the spiritual. Attached to it are the chains of earthly or material bondage, that which ties the couple to their captor. The looseness of these bonds - they could lift them over their heads if they so chose - is a true indicator of our blindness in the face of our material bonds. Can't quit smoking, or drinking, or gambling, or spending money you don't have, or can't dump that cheating spouse, or won't? Many of us don't see the distinction. But it's there. The couple themselves are definite throwbacks to the Lovers in the Garden of Eden. Once naked to show their innocence, their nudity now illustrates how they have been stripped down to the basest of physical desires. Having succumbed to the temptation of the Devil in the form of the snake, they have been banished from the Garden of Eden and now stand chained in the darkness outside the gates. Rather than standing before the vibrant trees, the fruitful Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the flaming Tree of Life, they now carry the merest mocking reminders of what they have lost on the ends of their new tails - the single bunch of grapes and the small flame. A perversion of the powerful, fruitful blessings they have lost. The tails and the horns they now wear show what happens when they succumb to base desires of the material world, how far they fall.

My Interpretation
This is an unhealthy card. Unhealthy habits, unhealthy desires, unhealthy relationships. It's not just the eating food that's bad for you, or smoking and drinking and taking drugs, but the staying in the thrall of a relationship that is bad for you too. The unfaithful, abusive or purely physical one that threatens to dominate all else. Or even more literally, it can refer to the kinkier or wilder side of physical relationships.

The specifics aren't the important bit, though. The important part is how they deal with it all. It's about succumbing to temptation, to giving oneself over - wholeheartedly or reluctantly - to the desires that tempt you. How you cross over to the dark side. It's always possible to free yourself, you just need to see it. I mean, a little is good. A few drinks with friends, a mild binge on a decadent dessert, a splurge on that new pair of shoes or Tarot deck you've been longing for, a little sexual adventure. But the Devil's influence is about when it's been carried too far. As advice, it warns us to be wary of excess, to know when to rein it in, to know when is "too much".